Digital Mastering: To be, or not to be, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by patokiss, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Whew, I was *this* close to playing my Raw Power card. :D

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I suggest you do a search for “flat transfer” then. This term is largely mythological—a lot of people claim something “sounds like a flat transfer”, but how would you know unless you’ve heard the master tape? And isn’t this really only a positive if the master tape actually sounds good? Our Host has mentioned that a few of his Audio Fidelity discs did not require any EQ (I believe Yes 90125 was one).

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The OP is in a losing battle here. Let this one be.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

@patokiss There are Japanese releases called SHM-CD or SACD (single layer) that are known flat transfers of master tapes or copy tapes. You might want to look in to that.
    Especially if you like Black Sabbath, the Rolling Stones or Prog Rock.

As for Alice Cooper, you've got the Audio Fidelity CDs.
    For The Beatles you've got the Mono Box...

A little search on the mass of knwoledge of the forum will give you more info than you can imagine.

blaken123 and patokiss like this.
  5. patokiss

patokiss Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you. Yes, I did a lot of search and research in this forum, but one thing is, as you write, “sounds like a flat transfer” to something that is, in fact, known as a "flat transfer". The intention with this thread was to put in one list, all the records known to be a "flat transfer". For an easier research for everybody.

6. patokiss

Thank you. Yes I know, I love this forum. Been here since I don't know when but when I do a search I lose a lot of time and I thought, why not make one thread about this subject. It'd be useful. I've read a lot of other threads gathering info about some topic and found them very useful.

Plan9 likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I may add that there are no known flat transfers of Led Zeppelin albums in digital.

patokiss likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hate to break it to you, but you will never quite know what the artist intended.

9. patokiss

I know, I'm a musician, too. But It wasn't "literal" what I meant. Anyway, I was wrong with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.