Digital Production vs Reel to Reel!?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HDOM, Apr 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

[​IMG]

Pinknik and ReadySteady like this.
  2. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Long before CD, audiophiles used to prefer digitally mastered vinyl at 14 bits/32kHz sampling. Then when CD came out they were only satisfied with DDD. Measly AAD or ADD weren't good enough. Then they decided digital was all wrong. And even later that it was only barely acceptable at ridiculously oversampled sampling rates and bit depths. It all makes no sense.

3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It actually makes perfect sense from an industry standpoint. Just follow the money.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Forget about the money, just play what you prefer. If someone offered me a cd plus some cash in trade for my record, I would not do it.

5. That's exactely what I wanted to mean.

Randoms likes this.
  6. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Really? Not how I remember it.

7. Which system sounded better, the Sony or the Mitsubishi one?

8. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

My Sony DATman ate the mix down master DAT tape. Pretty certain that this wasn't a one off!!

9. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

great
    ~~
    thanks

10. HDOM

that is why it sound so great because sounds are change in air pressure

11. HDOM

i understand

12. HDOM

maybe if the music industri had not concentrate so much in digital music like it had done after the cd arrive we would had have a better analogue sound today ?

Kiko1974 likes this.
  13. HDOM

i agreed with you but i belive no many music had been made all digital i mean from microphone to usb storage (all the music reproduction chain) and nowdays music is so tasteless in my opinion, like regaetoon, despacito etc :magoo:

14. I think we've had great analog gear since the late 80's or early 90's, Dolby Spectral made a great difference as it got almost digital signal to noise ratio and dinamic range using analog tape recorders.

Grant and HDOM like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, now that we have hi-rez digital that is equal to, or surpasses analog, we still have the anti-digital types. I think these people are just anti-computer, period. Cyberphobia

16. HDOM

thank you very much for your information:tiphat:

17. HDOM

even when i have vinyl recrds and cassette and like the sound, i feel it is after all a mechanic stuff, the plate of the vinyl it can never get so much perfect rotation year by years when a dac and digital music is like "perfect" for generations :magoo:

18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

For the great analog music and analog instruments of the Sixties and Seventies, which includes electric guitar and analog synths like the Moog...tape is best.

For today's music utilizing a laptop and digital instruments, digital production and recording is best.

Todd Rundgren's "Runddans" is the best digital recording I've heard yet.

Per https://www.amazon.com/Runddans-Nik...2&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=todd+rundgren+rundans

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Nashville liked Mitsubishi best. I agree with Nashville. I like analog a lot better.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  20. Grant

It sounded "digital-like" too, which was a desirable trait back then.

21. Grant

Michael Jackson's "Bad" album was recorded on a Mitsubishi. The engineer Bruce Swedien stated that he hated how digital made Michael's voice sound thin.

McLover and Kiko1974 like this.
  22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Whispery or reedy thin? Not full throated?

23. The soundtrack for Jurassic Park, which was tracked and mixed down on analog tape using Dolby Spectral sounds nothing like digital.

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I was surprised that I recognized the analog one easily. At one certain point in the analog recording, it just became very obvious and I was not expecting that. Very interesting test, thanks for sharing it!

25. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Digitally mastered vinyl was certainly an audiophile thing in the 1970s, it was considered on par with direct to disc, and superior to analogue masters.

I admit misremembering the sampling rates used, because they were all over the place. 14/32 was NICAM (digital stereo audio for analogue terrestrial television). An early PCM recorder was 13/32, and there were numerous other combinations using bit depths below 16 and/or sampling rates in the 30s kHzs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_recording

HDOM and Robert C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.