Digital Recorders - good software advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pickle, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pickle

Pickle Forum Diva Thread Starter

woah! this could be my first "serious" post ya'll!

;) for my Bday I got an Olympus D-10 Digital Recorder for one of my hobbies. I'll use it lots! the listening software it comes with is VERY basic! I was wondering if you guys know of any good software that lets me edit it? kinda like highlight a section , see the fluctuations in sound etc?

I don't really know what I'm looking for as I'm not sound-savy like you all :D so Hoping for advice ... here's a pic of what I mean

[​IMG]

Thank you

ps. i should add I'm a MAC user :D

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ahhhh...sorry! Can't help you there!

3. Pickle

^ y are all the sound editing software only available for PC?

4. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

There is a free open source sound editor call "Audacity". Search for it on google, it is available for all platforms (including mac). However, the reviews on it have been a mixed bag. Some claim it crashes their mac, others say it doesn't. I have the feeling that your personal expertise in computing affects how well it works for you. Worth looking into.

5. Pickle

^ cool it's a free one? I dont mind purchasing one, as i'll be using it lots ... thanks for the tips ... I'll look that up when I get home from work ...

6. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Hey Pickles,
    Good to hear from you!

Others here will weigh in with more powerful programs, but you might want to play around with Audacity, which is free and works on a Mac.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You can view and edit the waveforms, apply some neat effects, equalize, change speed and pitch, etc. It's a lot of fun and the price is right.

7. Pickle

^ thanks for the link! :D I'll check her out when I get home! :D

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Moved to hardware.

mud-:D

9. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I'm with ZenArcher, Dee, I also use Audacity, and for everything I need a sound editor for, it works fine.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They aren't. There are just a lot more, and a much wider variety for the Windows PC, and at all price points and tastes.

11. Pickle

whew took me forever to find this again! lolol

I also just read on the Apple site about "Garage Band" anyone use it? apparently it comes free with my MAC ... but never have seen it ? must check computer when I get home

12. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

...and I'm sorry I called you "Pickles" - I must have the Honeymooners on my mind ;)

Cheers Pickle...

13. Pickle

hehe no problem :D all boards call me Pickles or Pickerella :D lol no problem! :D

[​IMG]

14. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Or maybe you were thinking of the Dick Van Dyke show...:agree:

15. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I am clearly more confused than I thought...yes, Pickles. Buddy's wife, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.