Digitizing your vinyl - Which ones did you do today?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tvstrategies, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Convenience, sometimes cost. That Xymox up thread I did contains a couple b-sides, 1 only found on a very rare compact disc single. Quite a few mixes, b-sides and singles can only be found in modern compression form so the SQ by doing these is worth it alone. (Abba-Should I Laugh or Cry). Some I do out of curiosity to see if digital was used in the chain or if it was just re-leveled for the format. I have fun doing them, so it's just another part of the hobby I enjoy. + I have cats :D
    They actually do a great job capturing what's on the format. Good and bad-

2. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

The quality you get is totally dependent on the state of the vinyl. If it’s clean and near mint you can get fantastic results. Worn or noisy vinyl can’t be improved without compromising the sound quality in post-processing or editing which can be a major pain.

3. Westerwick

Westerwick Forum Resident

I agree with you regarding the condition of the vinyl, I use a record cleaning machine prior to digitising . I found a very good software program that removes clicks and pops without compromising the recording. I use a Denon recorder which converts to 24/96 so the end results are not bad.

4. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

My last project was Akron's Bizarros... their first EP, their side of the split-LP with the Rubber City Rebels, the Laser Boys 3-song single and their album on Mercury. It all sounds great after not listening to the band for many years, and my wife likes it too.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    c-eling likes this.
  5. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've done a lot of vinyl transfers. Typically, they're albums that were never released on CD, although it's comical how many times I did a project, only to see the long-OOP album reissued on CD a few months later. I don't have a printer at the moment, but I used to scan the LP artwork and the LP labels; I set-up Photoshop templates to make CD inserts and back panels.
    In terms of grading the final product, would 10/10 be an arrogant claim? :hide: I use Soundforge, a $50 program. I have okay equipment; a Thorens TT with an Audio Technica cartridge. I typically remove ticks and pops using the "Pencil" tool; you smooth-out the offending lightning bolt to join the clean waveform on either side. It is time consuming, but enjoyable in a weird way.

I mean, my Parlophone vinyl transfer of A Hard Day's Night sounded much better than the original CD issue, and that was one of the first that I did... I refined a lot of tricks along the way. I recently did Marshall Crenshaw's Downtown, an album I never bought on CD. It sounds great. I have a less-than-perfect copy of Don Nix Hobos, Heroes and Street Corner Clowns. The clean-up process was tedious and it's not perfect, but the CDR is very listenable; it's become my favorite of his albums.

I've also done repairs to commercial CD files. There was a mastering glitch on one song of George Jones Alone Again, a 2-fer CD with The Grand Tour. I did a v-t of the track, normalized the output level with the CD and patched in the verse that was digitally flubbed. It sounded perfect.

For me, it's about convenience, being able to rip the CDR to iTunes for portable listening, and also to clean-up the occasional imperfections in vinyl that's been well-cared-for and rarely played. It is important to work with near mint LP's.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    GerryO, zphage, arisinwind and 2 others like this.
  6. c-eling

The Outfield-Voices of Babylon, 1989 (US Sterling DMM)
    [​IMG]

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Bookends Mono

adriatikfan, Spitfire and c-eling like this.
  8. c-eling

Good one Gas! That's one i'd love to find out and about!

Gaslight likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Poster in this very forum was kind enough to offer their VG- copy to me (basically their original cost + shipping).

Got it last week and it pretty much as I expected, from their description - some surface noise and moderate groove damage, at points...original owner probably chewed this one up on their old record player.

Recorded into Audacity + some ClickRepair magic and it's generally a much better listen that way. I can finally digest this pressing....will still look for a cleaner copy though, as I always have.

[​IMG]

Westerwick and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

Excellent!
    My old Mono Parsley is pretty beat up as well (Thrifter) I did what I could with it.

Gaslight likes this.
  11. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

The dB's The Sound Of Music and Like This. Made a nice double album cd of some of their best music, these guys were at the top of their game when they put those 2 out

c-eling likes this.
  12. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues

c-eling likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yesterday I did Pink Floyd’s More Soundtrack (2016 pressing) and Ryan Adams’ 1989.

c-eling likes this.
  14. I have needle dropped 200+ albums. I just like the way they sound. The last recording I needle dropped was a Record Store Day release from several years ago. A 45 single by The White Buffalo. Don'y You Want It and the flip side I Got You. Great sound.

GerryO, tvstrategies and c-eling like this.
  15. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

King Crimson - Islands (200g reissue)
    I digitize the entire side, no track splitting...as it was intended to be listened to!

c-eling and curbach like this.
  16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Last night I did:

Supertramp - Famous Last Words (German A&M immaculately quiet surfaces :cool:)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin’ Fancy (US MCA export only copy)

Manfred Mann’s Earth Band - 1971-1973 (UK Vertigo comp)

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

Public Image Ltd-Warrior/Happy, 1989 US
    Was a little nervous getting a still sealed copy (warps) Thankfully it was flat, dead quiet :)
    A-
    Warrior (Extended Mix)
    Warrior (Instrumental)
    B-
    Happy (12")
    Happy (Instrumental)
    [​IMG]

18. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

David Byrne - Sounds from True Stories

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

Trans-x-Living on Video, US 1986 :Excellent sounding Dennis King cut (French Canadian synth-pop)
    [​IMG]

20. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

DUMB QUESTION:

Do you patch a turntable directly into the computer somehow or through your system's pre-amp or receiver?

For years I've recorded (analog) from my Thorens through an equalizer into my Sony Pro Mini Disc recorder. I can adjust input levels, pump up the highs and lows with the equalizer and clip out some surface noise between tracks but that's the extent of my editing capability. Then I burn digital copies to CD-R from the Mini Disc via a JVC home audio burner. My results have always been excellent but Mini Discs and Music CD-Rs are getting scarce.

21. c-eling

A few ways to do it. Some have picked up a portable Tascam and recorded out through their main system.
    Cats keep mine hooked to my computer :laugh:
    Table-->Lounge-->Focusrite 2i2-->PC

22. Miha Podlogar

Miha Podlogar Well-Known Member

FIRE! - The Hands

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My collection is way to large to every digitize even a small portion. But last summer I was on a program of digitizing my psychedelic albums. I gave up for the time being because turntable #3 died, and I no longer wanted #1 relegated to running into a computer in the basement.

24. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I finally got around to digitizing the White Stripes Icky Thump 10 year anniversary box. I hear the slightest hum which might be a grounding issue.

25. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Today's batch. I gave 'em a little bath in the spin clean and let 'em "rip"! :D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

MONO FEVER!!

GerryO and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.