Dion DiMucci about the release of his 'lost' 1965 album "Kickin' Child"- exclusive interview*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

There would appear to be some friction! See here.

alexpop likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This shows friction with Tommy Allsup. I've never heard him bad mouth Buddy in any way, shape, or form. He has written a couple of songs honoring Buddy over the years. There's just some disagreement about who flipped the coin and when. I don't know how that translates to "Dion saying Buddy Holly's music isn't as good as his own".

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Finally got my copy and this is absolutely magnificent, this stuff has never sounded so good. Seriously, a must have for any fan of prime 60's folk rock, or Dylan '65/'66, because this is right up there with the best of the whole era.

4. Daniel Plainview

Yessir, I think this album can go toe-to-toe with the best of 1965 - Rubber Soul, Highway 61, Aftermath, Summer Days (and Summer Nights). Dion is right there with them at the top of his game.

5. ralphb

:agree:

Spencer Marquart likes this.
  6. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

I finally ordered directly from Norton... I decided on the CD + the vinyl 45, as the vinyl LP appears to be mastered from digital. Hi-rez digital sourcing can sound great on vinyl, but since I have a clean copy of the '69 LP (see my avatar) I went with the CD. I'm sure both will sound terrific, looks like my package arrives tomorrow... will report on SQ!

ralphb, Hep Alien and troggy like this.
  7. ralphb

Definitely my reissue/reimagining/ restructured album of the year, nothing else will better it as far as I'm concerned.
    Although I'm pretty sure that Laura Nyro mono set will at least wrestle it to a tie.

8. ralphb

A big thank you to Vic Anesini for doing such a marvelous job on the mastering for this release, it's wonderful.:righton:

Lewisboogie, mfp, Dennis Metz and 2 others like this.
  9. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Laura Nyro and Dion DiMucci, a freaking perfect New York combination!

GetHappy!! and ralphb like this.
  10. ralphb

Now if only someone would compile all of Lou Reeds pre-Velvets recordings we'd have a perfect NYC trifecta!

GetHappy!!, Hep Alien and troggy like this.
  11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'd like to see that. Just how much stuff is there?

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

So am I to assume that most have purchased the CD version?

13. Daniel Plainview

I bought all versions available. I love the vinyl. I'd sleep with it under my pillow if I could.

CD is quite nice too....for a CD.....

Mylene and mrbobdobalina like this.
  14. ralphb

Eight that I know of, there's probably more.
    Leave Her for Me
    The Jades 1958
    (Lewis Reed)

So Blue
    The Jades 1958
    (Lewis Reed/Phil Harris)

Do the Ostrich
    The Primitives 1964
    (Reed/Philips/Vance/Sims)

Sneaky Pete
    The Primitives 1964

Cycle Annie
    The Beachnuts 1965

I’ve Got a Tiger in My Tank
    The Beachnuts 1965
    (Reed/Philips/Motta/Sims/Vance)

You’re Driving Me Insane
    The Roughnecks 1965

Why Don’t You Smile Now
    The All-Night Workers 1965
    (Philips/Vance/Reed/Cale)

GetHappy!!, troggy and Hep Alien like this.
  15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I have these two.

"Cycle Annie" is on the budget album and I have a copy of the All Night Workers 45. I don't remember where I picked up the 45 but I'm sure that I didn't know about the Lou Reed involvement at the time.

Hep Alien and ralphb like this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Beautifully done CD:cheers:

17. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Great sound (cd), great music. Love the first few Beatlesy/Byrdsy folk-rock type tunes at the beginning of the disc. Dion could've been a folk-rock giant if he had wanted to continue down that path.

Lewisboogie and Hep Alien like this.
  18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Wow, that is truly bitchen. I gotta find that album!

19. action pact

Don't forget this, uh, classic:

[​IMG]

OK, I just hit the BIN on a SEALED copy of the Pickwick reissue! Now I gotta see if the two tracks left off from the original LP are on YouTube or something...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  20. action pact

Lemme ask you a question...

I'm hearing a bit of sandpapery distortion on both the LP and 45. (Check the file I sent you.) Is this audible on the CD as well?

I'm assuming that it's inherent in the source and not a vinyl-cutting issue, but I also find it hard to believe that Columbia NY would do such sloppy work.

21. Daniel Plainview

I don't hear anything out of the ordinary as far as what I've come to expect from these recordings. These tracks were recorded live in the studio and there are lots of moments where things sound like they're about to burst through the speakers.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    action pact likes this.
  22. action pact

Sooner or later, some of the tracks will be copied from the Norton CD and posted on the web. I want to hear what the digital version sounds like.

23. Rocknut

Rocknut Well-Known Member

I don't hear it either. It sounds great to me.

24. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Got them yesterday direct from Norton; CD case was cracked, but otherwise everything safe and sound. Speaking of sound, the CD sounds clean and clear... I have only listened once, but it was immediately subjectively apparent to me the original mono 45s sound more exciting and punchy (will truly A/B compare various versions in detail once back at home). I also wish the liner notes had more detailed recording sessionography, and I'm not sure I'm buying the "it was an album all along" narrative. I would imagine there would be CBS A & R documents or something tangible if it was a considered commercial prospect (of course, these tracks hang/relate thematically and sonically), an LP in '65 wouldn't have been 15 tracks long, and the song order is curious to me and doesn't flow. But quibbles aside, the CD sounds nice (haven't played the single as of yet, away from turntable for the weekend) and it's GREAT to have clean stereo versions of this incredibly important material available! Many of the aforementioned (minor) shortcomings will hopefully be addressed on THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA SESSIONS box set they're gonna release (fingers crossed)!!! :agree:

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

I'd believe the Wilson produced tracks were meant for a single album. But Kickin Child was recorded several months earlier. And why would he include that and not Spoonful? And why include So Much Younger when it was from 1966? At any rate, the first 14 tracks do sound good together and work as a album for me. If I were ignorant of session dates I wouldnt second guess it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.