Dion DiMucci about the release of his 'lost' 1965 album "Kickin' Child"- exclusive interview*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Strummergas likes this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Well then it must be an alternate version because I've heard it!

Hep Alien and JoeRockhead like this.
  4. Reader

Reader Senior Member

More power to you! I'd like to have a ton of new old stuff released by Dion. A big box with all kinds of outtakes, studio chatter etc. would be a must buy. I need to go back and read this entire thread, just heard about this and hope it does come out and there is more in the future. Thanks for starting this thread.

Hep Alien and Daniel Plainview like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

[​IMG]

Hmm, I sure do like this picture sleeve. Can't understand why.....

PBo, Hep Alien, JoeRockhead and 6 others like this.
  6. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

I asked Scott Kempner (via his Facebook page) if the mixes will be mono or stereo, and if vinyl will be AAA. I'll update here if I hear something.

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I want a Columbia Sessions box as mentioned up thread. Every bit of what was recorded would be fine with me.

8. the Saint

the Saint Forum Resident

The complete track list is at the end of the Billboard article.

9. Daniel Plainview

Can't decide if I should order this from Amazon or direct from Norton. I want it DAY OF RELEASE, dammit.

I ordered the 45 from Norton since that doesn't seem available via Amazon (yet). We'll see what gets here first.

This and Twin Peaks is going to make this the best month of May ever!

trumpet sounds and picassoson like this.
  10. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I was actually instrumental in this set being released.

Kickin' Child is indeed the odd one out, but it was Dion himself who insisted on its inclusion, so of course we obliged. :)

So Much Younger was released as Dion & the Wanderers, so as far as I'm concerned it fits here; at first it was supposed to be a sort of "Complete Dion and the Wanderers" set, but then it changed a bit along the way.

Hep Alien, TeddyB, picassoson and 2 others like this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

I'm really surprised he didn't also want "Spoonful" included. Granted, the album is already 15 tracks long and shouldn't be stretched any further, but damn that's a monster track and this high-profile release would draw more attention to it.

12. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

So how many of these tracks were never released prior to this? The few songs I Googled were all previously available.

That said, definitely getting this. The title track is amazingly Dylanesque.

13. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Definitely interested. But what's this record going to sound like? Dion's late 50s/early 60s hits? Folkie like Abraham, Martin and John? Bluesy like his more recent output?

14. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Do you think there will be future lost Dion albums released, like the fantasy albums zodiac compiled?

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Just the Wilson produced version of "All I Wanna Do".

There's indication that they are using the single mixes of some of the tracks so maybe some of these will be previously unreleased vintage mono mixes but that remains to be seen. The stuff on "The Road I'm On" was all newly (at the time) remixed.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Maybe that's what they held "Spoonful" back for. ?

I envisioned three standard length albums....maybe they'll compile two slightly longer ones instead.

Or just give us the motherload in a boxed set.

Hep Alien and gottafeelin like this.
  17. Daniel Plainview

None of the above.

18. Daniel Plainview

19. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I probably will get this...but I have heard his version of "Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound" years ago and I definitely recall being unimpressed. I hope the rest of the album is better than that.

20. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Like the Zodiac said, none of these. There's a whole folk-rock period between the neo-Belmonts hits and "Abraham" that only leaked out on the few singles at the time. Right in line with the Blues Project, Butterfield Blues Band, and electric Dylan.

21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That song is just... religious. Talk about soulful, "Now" and the other songs that will make up the album are the real deal and hopefully people will hear it. Had this album been released back then it would be considered one the greats of the era.

YardByrd, Hep Alien, sixelsix and 2 others like this.
  22. Rocknut

Rocknut Well-Known Member

I've posted this question about The Zodiac's three fantasy Columbia albums a few days ago. I consider myself quite familiar with the Dion Columbia material that is out there, but there are four song titles in there that I have never heard Dion do, at least not recorded during the Columbia days. I'm wondering where you've heard the following four songs? I'd love to hear them.

-Devil Got My Woman

-I Just Want To Make Love To You

-Down in the Bottom

-Dyin’ In The End

I agree that there is definitely room for another Dion Columbia LP. The next one could concentrate on the '64/'65 blues songs. A complete Columbia recordings box set along the same lines as Dylan's Cutting Edge release or Hip-O-Select's release of all the Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley Chess recordings would also be super swell. Sign me up baby!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  23. mfp

mfp Senior Member

It's funny because this "Is there a Dion expert?" thread I started eight years ago is what led to the existence of this record today.
    Pretty soon I did find Dion experts right here on the forum: most notably our Zodiac man, and of course Andrew Sandoval's very detailed site about all things Dion, whch is now offline.

Then I became completely obsessed with this music. Because it was the days of music blogs, I decided to present all these Wanderers songs as one album, like I assumed they were initially meant to:
    Whistle Taste: THE COMPLETE DION & THE WANDERERS

Years later, because of this blog post, I got contacted about this upcoming reissue, to help out, as a sort of consultant.
    Now I didn't do much, just shared my enthusiasm and knowledge. Some thins changed along the way, especially once Dion himself got involved, of course he had the final word in everything, there was no way anybody would argue with him.

So long story short, my name will be mentioned in the thank you credits that nobody reads (which makes me feel way more proud than it should), but I guess all I wanted to say is... it all started right here, on the Steve Hoffman Music Loving Society. :hugs:

24. Daniel Plainview

Haven't heard them. But there were sessions for them. Can't even say for sure if they were completed.

25. Daniel Plainview

I'm jealous! Congratulations.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.