Dion DiMucci about the release of his 'lost' 1965 album "Kickin' Child"- exclusive interview*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I saw it earlier. Gone now.

It's a gray-area CD any way. Still a damn fine album and better than nothing.

Our friends at Ace is working on a legitimate release, apparently.

picassoson and Hep Alien like this.
  3. peopleareleaving

Thanks for the heads-up, Zodiac.

4. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The fact that this new release has 15 songs suggests that the 'clouds of time' have colored history. Pop Rock albums NEVER had 15 songs in America; 12 was a stretch by late-65 and early-66... it was usually 11. Not that I'm complaining. It looks like a perfect set and their choice of tracks is exactly what I distilled for my personal listening pleasure several years ago.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. peopleareleaving

I know it's not everyone's favorite, but I for one, am looking forward to a version of So Much Younger where it doesn't sound like the tape is warbly.

Hep Alien and Guy E like this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

I think it's fair to say if the album appeared in '65 it would have just been the 12 Wilson productions. But "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" fits perfectly, so let's pretend a 13 track Dion album wasn't out of the question. And this one we're getting is just that, albeit with bookends on either side.

Hep Alien and Guy E like this.
  7. peopleareleaving

(3) Zimmerman songs are far too many in my opinion, especially one as ubiquitious as It's All Over Now Baby Blue.

dalem5467 likes this.
  8. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

There were only three left yesterday. Must have sold out.

9. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Or... let's pretend that we're being treated to the hypothetical UK release! ;)

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

"Dion Sings Dylan...plus other songs!"

Hep Alien and peopleareleaving like this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Pepper schmepper, this is still the biggest archival release of May 2017. Dion's on both covers because he's the greatest, dammit!

12. Rocknut

Rocknut Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Dion cut It's All Over Now, Baby Blue before Them, 13th Elevators and Byrds. It's also a GREAT version.

13. Rocknut

Rocknut Well-Known Member

There is room for a Dion blues LP culled from the various Columbia sessions. It would be the perfect follow up for this Wanderers folk-rock set.

picassoson and Hep Alien like this.
  14. peopleareleaving

I'm a huge Bob fan. Love the song as well as Dion's version. My preference would've been Dion Sings Dion.
    As a side-note, anytime I hear 'Baby Blue' or any rendition, I think of Don't Look Back, where Donovan, the new British heir-apparent to the Dylan throne play his I Sing For You and proceeds to get crushed by Bob's Baby Blue with his drunken, slightly vitriolic manner, looking right at him most of the time. Donovan's reaction is priceless. He knows he just got his ass handed to him and has this grin-and-bear-it sort of expression on.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. mfp

mfp Senior Member

However the reaction shot is fake; there was only one camera, so when it cuts to Donovan, it's not a real reaction, just a random shot of Donovan filmed at any time and put there in editing.

Hep Alien and Paperback Writer like this.
  16. mfp

mfp Senior Member

And here's a nice familiar-looking photo of Dion, but zoomed out, so you catch a glimpse of the Wanderers.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, agundy and troggy like this.
  17. peopleareleaving

I didn't know that, thanks.

18. Daniel Plainview

Got shipping confirmation from Norton on the Dion 45.

*rubs hands together maniacally*

19. Daniel Plainview

Still waiting for my damn 45. I could have walked to New York City and back by now. Media mail....ptooey!

20. Daniel Plainview

The 45 is here. I noticed that "Too much Monkey Business" was credited to Tom Wilson as producer. A mistake? NO! A NEVER BEFORE HEARD VERSION!!!!!! WHY ISNT THIS ON THE CD?!?!?! KICKS ASS! WAY BETTER THAN THE VERSION WE'VE HEARD!!!!

21. Daniel Plainview

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  22. Daniel Plainview

Both sides sound fantastic. It's got the chutzpah, baby. This rocks. If this doesn't get people's attention I don't know what the hell will.

troggy and Hep Alien like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Both sides credited to Tom Wilson, producer. Hmmmm....

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

I was excited before but now hearing this sampling my bliss levels are through the roof! Am I the only person who cared enough to buy the single? I need someone to talk to. This sock puppet will have to do. It gets lonely sometimes....

Hep Alien and troggy like this.
  25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I haven't purchased it yet but, after your description, you bet I will. Leave it to Norton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.