Dionne Warwick 23 Japanese Mini-LP Sleeves of Scepter/Warner Bros. catalogue in 07/2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Good news indeed, great recordings !

2. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

Although not explicitly stated, I was referring to Dionne's hit Scepter recordings which have been available on CD in their original stereo mixes or as stereo remixes since they were mastered by Bill Inglot for the first two Rhino compilations (Anthology 1962-1969, Collection: Her Greatest Hits). If you're referring to stereo versions of other songs which appear on her albums, I agree that these upcoming CDs of her individual albums fill that void.

3. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

This would have been so awesome 15 years ago. It's an amazing catalogue tho.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hey...never mind. For some reason, I read your post to include "mono".

I alreafy have both of those Rhino CDs, and then some.

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

The Japanese retailer, Disk Union, will be releasing two boxes containing the 23 reissues as pictured on this page (in Japanese):

http://diskunion.net/black/ct/news/article/4/37499
    Disk Union boxes are only available in Japan. You can find them on Ebay, but they can be pricey!

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Still not entirely clear how a Warwick Sings Bacharach/David (or just Bacharach if you have to include a sample of her 80's work) box never happened, particularly back in Rhino's heyday when you'd think it would have been a no-brainer (in those halcyon days when the Rhino staff clearly didn't lack for brains).

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Having visited their Tokyo stores, I will affirm that they rate as don't-miss destinations.

RevUp64 likes this.
  8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Amazon's Japanese website has these listed at 2,500 to 3,500 yen (around US$25-$35) each. Same price on hmv's Japanese website.

9. pghmusiclover

I am definitely looking forward to these, though I'm sorry they didn't include some of the unreleased tracks mentioned by The Second Disc.

Incidentally, The Second Disc also reported about a PBS-released Dionne Warwick compilation, which includes one real rarity (I've copied the relevant portion below):

http://theseconddisc.com/2013/06/03...luded-on-dionne-warwick-sings-burt-bacharach/

Following one album for Warner Bros. Records, the Bacharach/David/Warwick partnership ended in a flurry of ill will, accusations and lawsuits, all of which have been covered extensively elsewhere (including in Bacharach and Warwick’s memoirs). But what’s been less well-chronicled is the fact that Bacharach brought Dionne and their friend and engineer Phil Ramone into Los Angeles’ A&M Studios in June 1974 to record three new songs. Two featured lyrics by Bobby (“Little Green Apples”) Russell, with whom Bacharach would also collaborate on Tom Jones’ “Us” and Bobby Vinton’s “Charlie.” A third, mooted for a possible film version of Bacharach and David’s 1968 Broadway musical Promises, Promises, had playwright Neil Simon’s words. One of the two Russell songs, “And Then You Know What He Did,” is appearing for the first time anywhere on Dionne Warwick Sings Burt Bacharach. (It’s the only track without a Hal David lyric on the CD.)

Warwick’s voice begins supported only by the sound of an acoustic guitar. She intriguingly confides, “Because I was so fond of you, I could not see beyond you…” It seems the singer is in the unenviable position of recounting to a loved one why she’s left him for another man. Russell keeps his lyric conversational throughout as the story unfolds. It’s the little things, like a smile, or a willingness to light her cigarette (“No, it’s no big thing…but then, I can’t remember when you did as much for me,” she notes ruefully) that attracts her most to this stranger. Warwick is convincing herself even as she’s trying to convince her ex-paramour that she’s made the right choice: “I can’t help my feelings/And then you know what he did/[He] held me to himself/And I began to live! So I had to stay and you don’t need me anyway! Don’t think you ever did/I’m so sorry, I finally see!”

Melodically, the song plays like a mini-suite. This is music you feel, with the peaks and valleys of a relationship built into its contours. The shifting melodic phrases are unmistakably Bacharach’s, especially the staccato rhythms (“I/can’t/help/my/feelings”) that come to an emotional boil – or the pure exultation when the melody soars as an emotional release: “Then I looked up and saw the sun…” Even nature is smiling on the character in the song, and the melody sounds like a ray of sunshine. (Warwick reaches for the top of her belting range for a particularly powerful section, and one that’s relatively unusual for the cool and restrained singer.) The shimmering electric piano flourishes anticipate the fusion-jazz style of Bacharach’s 1977 solo album Futures, while the horns echoing the title phrase of the song are classic touches. The track is a mature coda for a decade-plus of artistry from Bacharach and Warwick.

Following the sessions that yielded “And Then You Know What He Did” (as well as Russell’s “Plastic City” and Simon’s “And Then He Walked Through the Door”), Burt Bacharach and Dionne Warwick didn’t record together for more than a decade.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes...I ordered them all & now I am broke!

11. pghmusiclover

Yes, I ordered both of the Disk Union boxes -- ouch!

12. audiomixer

How much were those?

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Around $400 each.

14. audiomixer

Ow. I paid $600 for all 23 of them, but not in a box.

15. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

ouch.

16. pghmusiclover

The boxes, plus EMS shipping, came out to $723 USD. :eek:

I know it's pricey, but I like to have the mini-LP sleeves all in one (or in this case, two) neat and tidy place(s)!

DJ WILBUR and noname74 like this.
  17. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

CDJapan is already shipping these reissues. I got three yesterday. They look DELUXE and truly classy! I picked up: Make Way For Dionne Warwick, The Windows Of The World, and Valley Of The Dolls. I'm thinking of shelling out for a few more. What's essential? Should I get Anyone Who Had A Heart? I LOVE that Warick/Bacharach/David sound!

Wonder how long these mini-LP sleeved CDs will be available.

18. pghmusiclover

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to get mine, which won't be until the second series is released in Japan July 17th!

Get2Me likes this.
  19. audiomixer

It's all essential in my opinion. And when these are gone, that's it, baby. The US will never give her catalog this much attention.

Grant likes this.
  20. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Amazon Japan has shipped the ones I've ordered. Not sure why some are being released on the 3rd and others on the 17th but I am looking forward to them! I have "Soulful" and "Very Dionne" from the Rhino Handmade series and loved those but missed out on the others.

21. Torontotom

So far, they sound good.

I do love the mini-Lp design. They really look like old, classic (mini) albums.

22. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

I just received the first 9, which (I think) covers the Bacharach years. I've ripped the mono tracks.

And I'm in heaven! I wish I knew how many crummy sounding Scepter LPs I've bought trying to find decent sounding mono versions of these songs.

So aside from the first 9, which others are essential?

23. audiomixer

Mine are on their way...

24. pghmusiclover

All 23 of mine are on their way from Japan :love:

DJ WILBUR and rob68 like this.
  25. Torontotom

I have purchased nine of them so far and they are all... fabulous. "On Stage and in the Movies" and "Greatest Motion Picture Hits" sound fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.