Dionne Warwick “Finder of Lost Loves” Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beadle Bamford, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beadle Bamford

Beadle Bamford Forum Resident Thread Starter

It wasn’t the expected success, but I think that “Finder of Lost Loves” is an unforgettably brilliant Burt Bacharach/Carole Bayer Sager song/production, so successfully taking advantage of Miss Warwick’s one-of-a-kind creative mid-range phrasings at that time.

For the Aaron Spelling TV production, Luther Vandross’s vocals were used, but for released record, Glenn Jones’s. What is the story behind this choice? Artistically, as much as I adore Luther Vandross, adding Mr. Jones’s more aggressive vocals, and at a later stage (let Warwick's stay on alone longer), was in my book perfectly right for this particular track.

But still, the actual choice was probably commercial rather than artistic.

I really would like to learn more, and thanks!

2. Beadle Bamford

Another layer to this puzzle: Even when trying hard, I seem to hear “Finders(!) of Lost Love()” in the vocals, “Finders” in the plural, but without any s in the supposed “Loves” – in all the versions accessible to me.

What is it that you hear: “Finder(s) of Lost Love(s)?” – I really would like to know.

(Too?) easy jump to a conclusion: The name of the underlying TV series was changed from “Finders of Lost Love” to “Finder of Lost Loves” after all of the versions (with Luther, Glenn) had all been tried out, separated and finally locked, for both of the TV (Luther) and retail (Glenn) versions. Following that, also the titles of the released music would have to be changed to accommodate the series title change, even if the vocals wouldn’t match.

From what I’m able to gather, this is such a complicated genesis, that could shed a really interesting light on the business practices of the day – yet I can find no information at all how it happened.

Calling all stations – Bacharach, 80s, Arista, Dionne Warwick, Aaron Spelling, … anyone?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  3. Beadle Bamford

And even if you’re not sure in your answer, a guess can help, and will give a welcome “bump” to this thread.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Maybe because of record label contracts? Vandross was on Epic and Dionne was on Arista. Glenn Jones was on RCA who distributed Arista in those days.

Arista and RCA would eventually have the same parent company, BMG (later purchased by Sony)

Beadle Bamford likes this.
  5. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

I hear FinderS of Lost LovE too, on the two versions.

6. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

unrelated, but, the last time I thought I saw Dionne Warwick, I thought she was the lady on the Popeyes fast food chicken TV commercial.

Doh!

7. Beadle Bamford

By the way: I’m so perpetually infatuated (obsessed?) with this title: I think it works greatly with Luther, with Glenn, but just as well with the divine Dionne solo:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    colinu likes this.
  8. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

My suspicion is that the Luther vocals were recorded first, but Luther didn't shine on this one. No contract issues as they had just collaborated on Warwick's previous Arista album "How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye" (aka "So Amazing" in some territories).

9. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Perhaps Luther and Dionne fell out. He got into it with Aretha, Anita Baker and En Vogue back in the day. Of course, none of them were... mild... personalities either.

JDeanB and Beadle Bamford like this.
  10. Beadle Bamford

Funkytowngrooves, thankfully, re-issued Dionne’s Arista album “Finder of Lost Loves” in 2014, adding two previously unreleased versions of the title-giving track: One version with Luther Vandross’s full-blown duet vocals, and one version described as a Dionne-solo version with Vandross’s vocals as background, both versions also featuring interesting alternate takes from Miss Warwick herself.

Alex Henderson’s liner notes provide some nice background information on the production – I enjoyed reading them. They don’t even raise the question though on “Luther, Glenn, what was going on”, or why the released title name doesn’t match the recorded lyrics.

11. Beadle Bamford

The title of the original TV show is also on YouTube:

(Here, as it would seem imperative, the s in Finders seems to be edited out, or yet another overdub used.)

12. Beadle Bamford

And guys, in case you’re again wondering why I’m so obsessed with what you could call another of those admittedly sappy, seemingly interchangeable 80s more-miss-than-hit Burt Bacharach ballads – I don’t know. This particular one, so in sync with Dionne’s particular vocal strengths at the time, or any time (for me, her peak), it works for me, like really. It has that rare spark that mystifyingly lasts.

13. colinu

I was impressed by the UK YouTube clipped previously posted on this thread. Some performances are very much studio creations, but Ms. Warwick showed why she is one of her generation's greatest performers in that clip. Too bad there wasn't a "Hot, Live & Otherwise - The Encore" album.

14. Beadle Bamford

Absolutely.

It’s really hard to put the finger on what’s so singularly enticing about Miss Warwick’s craft. She doesn’t do the extreme acrobatics. She does these ever so slight, but musically enormously satisfying vocal variations, phrasings. She does apparently little but the effect is as if she was confidently re-inventing the composition every time.

15. colinu

I recall once hearing her vocal styling described as a sports car expertly mastering twists and turns.

16. colinu

Maybe the "Finder(s)" confusion is why it was called "Without Your Love" in some markets.

17. Beadle Bamford

If that metaphor works for you, great! I have to confess, it doesn’t really work for me (please, take no offense)

Where I agree: A singer needs to transport a song to the listener, needs to do that smoothly, expertly, skillfully, accommodating any sudden twists and turns and bumps in the road.

But where – and here I believe the metaphor fails – is the creativity? The singer doesn’t only react, he or she creates. And this is only where it starts to become interesting.

18. Beadle Bamford

I don’t really think there ever was any confusion – I think that nobody ever really noticed, or cared!

The single bombed in the U.S., the show tanked in the U.S. – the European distributors tried to save the album and they thought that “Without Your Love” could sell better than “Finder of Lost Loves”: a more complicated title connected to a show that didn’t get to play over here.

That’s my theory at least.

19. colinu

Going back to Dionne and Luther, Dionne's son - David L. Elliott, co-wrote one of Luther's biggest hits "Here and Now".

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

And to bring it back to Bacharach, Dionne's son David was the inspiration for Bacharach and David's "Dream Sweet Dreamer".

colinu likes this.
  21. Beadle Bamford

Bumping this thread … forgive me, but I still love this track, and I’m still intrigued with the mystery.
    • The official name of the track “Finder of Lost Loves” vs. the sung lyric “Finders of Lost Love” – anybody can really shed a light? Was the name of the show changed?
    • Luther sang on the documented demo versions and on the actual TV soundtrack – what really happened? Was it a matter of contracts, an artistic choice, ...? Again, as much as I adore Luther, Glenn Jones sounds really great on the released track.
    I don’t mind speculations, but so far, I’m just not really convinced yet.

22. colinu

Was there more than one "finder" on the show? Was there a team of finders? Was there a finders fee? :)
    I doubt it was a contract issue as Luther had produced and dueted on Dionne's previous album, "How Many Times Can We say Goodbye". Glenn did do the better job but "borrowed" some of Luther's phrasing. I suspect the producers - Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager felt that Luther didn't quite nail it.

23. Beadle Bamford

Whatever the underlying reasons, I guess my question was primarily directed at a confirmation that the title was actually changed. But if anybody connected to the TV show team would like to share their memories on the reasonings, I’d welcome them all the more!

I feel that way too! I’m as cynical as the next guy and perfectly ready to put the blame on some evil corporation, but in this case, I actually feel that Glenn did the “better” (more engaging) job (even if, as you say, probably being aware of the previous recordings).

Maybe it was actually an artistical choice. Fancy that? But Luther has already been established for the song; the show has already aired, already with the /changed title/. Replacing him is another BIG DEAL.

Once again, I do welcome speculation. Actual facts, I’d embrace all the more.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  24. colinu

Maybe Dionne's or Carole's bios address the issue.

25. Beadle Bamford

High-profile singers evidently vocalize “Finders of Lost Love[]” against a published title of “Finder[] of Lost Loves” – there must be a story behind that change. Again, any takers?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.