Dire Straits HOF

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rawkdude, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

In my opinion, definitely Making Movies next, which is their masterpiece. Such a brilliant album with a great melding of their original sound and what came later. After that either their simple yet rocking debut self-titled album or the proggy and low-key Love Over Gold. You really can't go wrong with any of those!

2. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Interesting - I had found it odd that no induction speaker had been announced yet for Dire Straits, but speakers have been announced for all of the other inductees.

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Love Over Gold for me. My favourite, Telegraph Road, Private Investigations and the title track. Superb.

Beyond that perhaps Making Movies would fit closest to BIA.

Paul R, longdist01, Bill Mac and 3 others like this.
  4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

As a native of Cleveland, I've been a big supporter of the HOF, but these stories about its officials treating inductees with disrespect are far too common. I'm sensing an arrogance that is contrary to the "shucks, we just are here to celebrate the music" vibe that the Hall tries to project. They really ought to watch it. Notwithstanding all the industry self-love, it's the artists, not the suits, who create the magic. I don't recall people flocking to an exhibit recreating Irving Azoff's office.

6. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Travel expenses. Chuckles...

The dirt is or has been trickling out. Artists pay to play. The foundation expects artists and record labels to pay for for the honor of being inducted, creation & maintenance of displays. The least they could do is pay some air fare.

groundharp and Shak Cohen like this.
  8. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

There's no bigger Knopfler fan than me but I can't see Mark ever reuniting with DS. He has grown so much as a songwriter that I feel that Knopfler playing a lot of his early stuff would just put him off. I listen to two different artists that are associated with Mark Knoplfer. Dire Straits and solo Knopfler. The former is deceased as far as I'm concerned and I'm quite happy to listen to Dire Straits' output with the same awe that I have listening to the Doors, Hendrix and Joplin.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The first self-titled album is less polished than the later ones but in my view remains their best. If you like Sultans of Swing you'll enjoy the album. I would also get Love Over Gold if you like BIA.

10. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Well deserved

longdist01 likes this.
  11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

But he still plays the Dire stuff in concert so hasn’t let go yet

seed_drill likes this.
  12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Bummer that Mark won't be attending

13. MikeVielhaber

14. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

In order of your choices:

1. Communique
    2. Making Movies
    3. Love Over Gold
    4. On Every street

15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

How could they not induct Mel Collins? Or Chris White? Forget it, I will not be attending this ceremony. I guess the touring sax players get no love.
    Pick from Dire Straits, Making Movies and Love Over Gold.

It's a small catalog, and I think all their studio albums are worth having.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    via_atx and MikeVielhaber like this.
  16. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Off to play the Metroland soundtrack.
    That'll cheer me up.

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  17. Pier

Pier Well-Known Member

My order instead is:
    1. Communique
    2. Dire Straits
    3. Love Over Gold
    4. Making Movies

shaboo likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think Communique could be their weakest album, but with some great stuff on it.

19. wavethatflag

The only song I remember from that one is "Lady Writer." It's sort of a sophomore slump album, but they were probably still in shock from the success of the first one.

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Mark Knopfer has lots of high profile friends. Getting someone famous won't be a problem.

21. wavethatflag

It would be cool if Dylan did it, but I doubt that will happen

22. MikeVielhaber

Stuff like "Once Upon a Time in the West", "Where Do You Think You're Going", "news"... Some great stuff. I think there's a few lesser songs on there though.

AnalogJ and Shak Cohen like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree that there is probably no chance of a Dire Straits reunion. I would have to disagree with you about Mark Knopfler playing early Dire Straits music though. As I posted earlier I've seen Mark twice solo and he's played quite a bit of Dire Straits music. Both shows were incredible and I'd go see him and his band again without a doubt :). The last MK show in Boston the band played five Dire Straits songs Your Latest Trick, Romeo and Juliet, Sultans of Swing, On Every Street and So Far Away.

Mark Knopfler Setlist at Orpheum Theatre, Boston

24. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I've seen him live too (great show!) but the three DS songs he played, Romeo and Juliet, So Far Away, and Don't Worry came off as token songs for his old fans. Three to five DS songs? Ok, but 90 minutes of playing Dire Straits' songs seems like a stretch to me.

25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Vince Gill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.