Dire Straits MFSL - 45rpm + SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If your receipt shows the 15% discount and free shipping then I would think Music Direct would follow through. If you have concerns the best option is to give Music Direct a call to see how they will handle your order.

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I see Pop Market has the 45 rpm vinyl listed for preorder at $63.99 each on sale for $57.99? Music Direct has them all at $49.99 plus a 15% discount and free shipping?

Better hurry if you want to pay more. The Pop Market deal is for 24 hours only!

Opeth likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Anyone considering this...READ UP ON Popmarket's iffy customer service. Sometimes it's horrible, sometime's it's fine.
    My last vinyl shipmant went quickly and without complications.
    Others have been waiting for weeks.

ALWAYS be informed.

bearman16 likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Seems like a no brainer to go with Music Direct. Much lower prices and would think better service from Music Direct. The bundle price on Popmarket is $229.99 and the Music Direct price for all four is $170.00 with the 15% discount.

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?specials=Preorder&searchterm=dire straits vinyl&sort=score|DESC&page=1&c1=tab-products&c2=grid
    dire straits ยป

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, hurry they will take your money right away and ship it weeks after Music Direct has shipped to their customers.

6. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to picking up the SACDs. Unfortunately the Aussie Dollar keeps sliding against the US Dollar :-(

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ya think? Music Direct has human beings available to talk to on the phone and great customer service.

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I just sent them an email via the Contact Us page on their site. I'd rather check in advance and if my pre-order isn't going to turn out as expected, I'd rather know in advance and cancel the pre-order, versus discovering after shipping that my card was charged for shipping and/or full price instead of the 15% off.

Craig.

9. Myke

I've never, in 10 years of shopping online, seen any retailer try to change the terms of a completed transaction.

While multiple free shipments may seem too good to be true, they happen everyday. From Acoustic Sounds to Bull Moose.

Tullman likes this.
  10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

And post Brexit Britian! :realmad:

Spaceboy likes this.
  11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

We got the 4 Simon titles in a little over a year, you never know with that label. There is no way of knowing how long we will need to wait. IIRC we did not wait 4-ever for Brothers in Arms.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Myke likes this.
  12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I've seen (and had happen to me personally) orders canceled that were "too good to be true" that would have forced the retailer into taking a loss if they honored the transaction. Usually due to some unintended programming of their website that allowed greater discounts than expected, or the wrong sale price was offered, etc.

To close this topic, I just received a (very quick!) reassuring reply from Music Direct:
    "The twelve percent discount has already been applied to this order already. As far as shipping goes, we will need to wait until you qualify for free shipping to ship your items($49)."

So it seems evident to me that I can confidently pre-order every "TBA" MFSL SACD in their catalog, then just sit back and wait for them to be shipped to me in smaller packages, whenever enough pre-ordered items become in-stock to clear the $49 hurdle to qualify for free shipping.

The main risk I can see with my strategy is that I might be foregoing any 20% off sales that happen in the future, as I've already locked in 15% off.

Craig.

13. Myke

Which is it, 12% or 15% ? I got 15% automatically last night.

14. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

That was a typo from Music Direct in their response to me. "Music15" and "Holiday" both are valid right now for 15% off.

Myke likes this.
  15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Are these really going to ship before 12.30.16?

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

All I've seen for the Dire Straits MOFI releases has been "TBA". Where was 12/30/16 shown as the release date? I hope that will be the release date :).

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If it does not say that on the Mofi or Music Direct site I would take that date with a ton of salt.

Bill Mac and dobyblue like this.
  18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Pretty sure it was on the Popmarket listing

19. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

That's also what Amazon says.

20. Myke

That's the vinyl listing.

21. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Per an email sent yesterday, Popmarket claims that on Dec. 30 it will ship the first four Dire Straits albums on 45RPM, as remastered by Mobile Fidelity, for $64 each. Amazon has the identical offer, same release date.

MusicDirect (MFSL's owner), amongst the other usual specialty vinyl websites, still list their release as TBA.

Something to mull over this holiday weekend. Happy Festivus, indeed!

22. Is it me or has the 2LP 45rpm vinyl really jumped in price as of late? These would be the Dire Straits I would buy, but at above $50 apiece I will wait on consensus. Thanks, for the heads up.

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Music Direct still has them listed at $49.99 and apparently the 15% discount even works on the preorder. I don't know where the Popmarket price comes from. Personally, even at the Music Direct price I need a little time to consider whether I need to buy these titles for the third or fourth time. The BIA 45 rpm is awfully good IMO. These should be even better being presumably all analog. Yeah, I'll probably buy them. What a crazy hobby.

zphage likes this.
  24. Myke

Crazy part to me at least, is owning several copies of the same title. I do this myself, and still think it's nuts.
    At least with Dire Straits, I only have the catalog on old Vertigo CDs, and one vinyl album, for Communique.
    The 4 SACDs should of course, be an improvement, leaving me free to sell the CDs.
    The 4 recent MFSL SACDs I've bought, have all been superior, and doubt these won't be on the same level.

This 2007 2 CD / 1 DVD mastered by Bob Ludwig has kept me happy for years also :

[​IMG]

25. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

DeepDiscount.com is also showing the 45RPM titles as a 12/30 release, for just over $50 each. There's an additional shipping charge, but that would be partially offset by a sitewide 15% promotion.

Still TBA on MusicDirect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.