Dire Straits - On Every Street. Any LP/SACD reissues planned ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trizvanov, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trizvanov

trizvanov Well-Known Member Thread Starter

As per threat title, just curious if there are any album reissues in a pipeline.

If not, which LP press do you think is worth looking for ?

This is by far my favourite album by DS and I want to get the best one available.

Thanks!

sound chaser, Grohlfan and oneslip17 like this.
  2. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Some top-notch writing on this album, and yes, I'd love to see an SACD release.

jacek2, Carlox, sound chaser and 3 others like this.
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

No SACD announced.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

DPC, Classicrock, marcb and 2 others like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

6. trizvanov

Thanks folks! There seem to be two pressings available, Vertigo and Back to Black. Are they pretty much identical ?

Myke likes this.
  7. Myke

You're not reading that correctly. Vertigo is the label holding the rights, Back To Black is the reissuing label.

Vertigo ‎– 3752914, Back To Black ‎– 3752914 The link that Spitfire gave you is the one I have, and I imasgine he has.

[​IMG]

Spitfire likes this.
  8. trizvanov

Gotcha! Thanks!
    I take this one is a better release, compared to the original one then.

9. tronds

tronds Forum Resident

I haven't got this particular release, but given the album is approx. 60 minutes, I can't imagine how the original LP pressing will sound like. There almost certainly must've been made some compromises when cutting it. The "Back to black" release is a 2xLP, so it won't have those problems.

10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Has anyone actually compared the new Bellman cut to an original pressing?

11. Myke

Not me, if I had had an original, I wouldn't have gone after the Bellman. My purchase was an alternative to all the whining over the MFSLs not getting released. :laugh:

12. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

IMO I pretty much hate when they split any new reissue on two LP's. The way I see it any reissue has to resemble an original as much as possible. But that's just me.
    Anyway I have Russian pressing from the early 90s, which was made most likely from foreign metal parts according to matrix numbers ( probably Dutch?). It sounds reasonably good though print quality of the cover not that great.

13. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The whole studio album box set is reportedly being re-issued soon (there's a separate thread), but individual copies of the current albums (from the previous box) should still be available.

Myke likes this.
  14. Myke

So you'd sacrifice SQ for presentation ?

15. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I have an original pressing. It's not in perfect condition, so the fact that it's cut fairly quiet due to its length means that surface noise is more pronounced, but I have to say that apart from that it sounds stunningly good. I think I paid £1.99 for it in an HMV sale. Given the imperfect condition I'll be amazed if it hadn't already been sold and returned.

16. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Not exactly. For me the best presentation and the best "sound quality" for that matter is the way how it was released originally. I don't want it "better", I want it as close to the original as possible. Call it "fetish" if You want, I don't care.
    Any change, any so called modern "improvement", they can "color it" any way they want - I'm not interested.

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There are EU Vertigo and US WB label (and outer sleeve credit ) versions for all of the recent first 4 album reissues, but not On Every Street to my knowledge. There is only an EU Vertigo version - which is the Back to Black version.

The only difference for the others is the label/outer sleeve credit and where they were pressed. I have some of each and the quality is very high on all of them.

I just bought the Vertigo version of On Every Street about 6 weeks or so ago. Seems to be hardest of the five albums to find now - perhaps because there doesn’t appear to have been a US press. Cheaper to buy it from Amazon.co.uk than a US retailer/seller.

McLover likes this.
  18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think Vertigo is the label and Back To Black is just a UMe vinyl reissue program.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  19. Myke

Yep. Back To Black

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Far superior to both UK and US versions. Of course being a double Lp helps greatly.

curbach likes this.
  21. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Is there a release of "On Every Street" that comes with two bonus tracks, "Millionaire Blues" and "Kingdom Come"? Cheers.

22. Myke

No one has submitted such a version to Discogs, but I did find these : Dire Straits

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

THIS is an album that truly deserves SACD hybrid treatment

Criminally overlooked/ underrated

Carlox, jacek2, formu_la and 5 others like this.
  24. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Much obliged. Wikipedia says there's a version with these two bonus tracks but i couldn't find anything about it. I guess there is none.

Myke likes this.
  25. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

You're so right.
    Back in '92, i was puzzled by the overall both clinic and somber sound and i did not really pay attention to this record. :shrug:
    A few months ago i gave it another try on Qobuz and i can say today that it may be my favorite DS album.
    Listening with good headphones really helps.
    It seems that Tracker is gonna follow the same path and be my favorite MK solo recording... :)

Carlox and SKean like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.