Dire Straits: Remastered CDs vs originals ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mhw58, Jan 19, 2008.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

All I have remaster wise is the 2000 S/T, picked it up out of curiosity
    Love Over Gold
    A Japan Sanyo for US 'Target' and a Canadian Disque Americ Vertigo, it's such a great recording I really can't pick between the two. The Canadian Telegraph Road clocks in at 14:16, The Japan 14:23

2. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I've been wondering if this comp is worth owning. It seems to have mostly released songs throught their catalog but many are in different versions (remixes, edits, and a live version of Portobello Belle that was left off of Alchemy.) Probably not essential but maybe nice to have in the library?

3. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Definitely nice. You should be able to get it very cheap and it also has an alternative mix of Where Do You Think You're Going, which (IMHO) is superior to the album version.

Jonboy, Carlox, albertop and 2 others like this.
  4. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I second that. Wasn't Telegraph Road different too?

5. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

It's a remix of the live version found on Alchemy. Apparently Twisting By The Pool is a remix as well.

6. Paul R

Paul R Forum Resident

It took me two days, but I finally made it through this entire thread, so much good info! I have all the regular US WB cds except for BIA (1996/2000 remaster), and also have the remaster for Making Movies. I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned the tape glitch (?) at the very beginning of Expresso Love, it's on the unremastered CD and the original LP and sounds like somebody started the tape machine just a hair late. It was chopped off the remaster but I actually miss it! But at least I get the full length songs, those early fades bugged the heck out of me.

7. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't even know that was a glitch, I thought it was just how the song started. I like it though!

8. Paul R

Paul R Forum Resident

It sounds like the tape hadn't quite gotten to the right speed before Mark hit the first note. Maybe they thought it sounded cool so they left it in.

driverdrummer likes this.
  9. Eben Barnard

Eben Barnard Forum Resident

This compilation is the reason I got into Dire Straits and I am now a massive fan. The live version of Portobello Belle makes this compilation worth it just for that song alone. It is just fantastic IMO.

10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Not to mention LOG missing from "Alchemy" as well!!!!!..........:doh::crazy: :realmad: :cussing::rant:

Carlox likes this.
  11. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

It's on the cd versions. Even the old ones! :)

That means the only two songs from the concerts not included on the album were Industrial Disease and Twisting By The Pool, and Portobello Belle of course came out on Money For Nothing.

12. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I have "Money for Nothing" and enjoy it.

Also have this 2 disc HDCD version of Sultans of Swing...........love the live "Calling Elvis"!!!

Sultans of Swing: The Very Best of Dire Straits [Bonus Live Disc] - Dire Straits | Release Info | AllMusic

Nice for completists to have both IMO.........(and in the linked reviewer's)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  13. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Sorry......my bad.:ignore:

I meant the BD!!!! :wave: ...........which DOES at least also sport a PCM 24/96 2.0 audio option maybe worth exploring though!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    bcaulf likes this.
  14. Paul R

Paul R Forum Resident

Actually the ending of Industrial Disease did make it on the album, fading in before Expresso Love. I wish the whole show would be released someday.

bcaulf likes this.
  15. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Check out Alchemy BD + SACD track waveforms/spectrograms posted in a previous thread...

Linger63 likes this.
  16. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Thanks Testikoff!!! :righton:

Lucky I have both then................BD for 5.1.........SHM SACD for 2.0....:)

17. Esben

Esben New Member

New user here but a Dire Straits fan since 1987

Could someone who has the blue swirl Vertigo Making Movies please help me check, if mine is original or fake?

I just purchased it off a seller on Discogs.

The actual cd is the strangest disc I have ever seen.
    The print is fine and the disc looks genuine overall.
    But the edge is finely coarse/rough, unlike a normal cd which has a smooth edge.

It is easy to see in a Photo, but I can't upload one here for some reason.

Anyone else seen this before?

Bernard hansen likes this.
  18. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I have 4 copies of the blue swirl of "Making Movies." All have a normal, smooth edge.

19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's hard to fake a genuine silver to center disc (if the silver goes all the way to the center - no plastic hub). Some early Polygram discs are thin and have rough edges. I personally would be more worried if they are smooth edged, although it is a 2nd generation blue swirl, so smooth edge varieties are possible. I've also come across red swirls that are thin and rough edged (the were very early red swirls).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  20. The_Windmill

You can't upload here, period :)
    Try Imgur to upload images, than paste the link using the "image" button

21. leinster Lad

leinster Lad New Member

Can anyone help identify this DS S/T release ??
    Red-fan is tilted left and the text on the CD is positioned diferently to any others that I have seen.
    Purchased in Australia, mid 80's
    Cheers in advance
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Third European release.

1. Blue Swirl/Blue Lettering
    2. Blue Swirl/Black Lettering
    3. Your copy (Red Fan/01 Matrix)

mdm08033 likes this.
  23. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I've never seen one off-kilter to the right like that. This has to be a printing error.

Galley likes this.
  24. The_Windmill

Dire Straits - Dire Straits
    "Disc has "Red-Fan" design which appears to be tilted to the left when compared to other "Red-Fan" design releases ( Dire Straits - Dire Straits Dire Straits - Dire Straits ) wording is also in different positions on this release compared to "other" red-fan releases.."

25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love the sound of the original Brothers in Arms cd. Just like I remember it all these years. Ride Across the River is the big standout-when the "bug" sounds come in..

Shak Cohen and George P like this.