Direct button and question on phono pre-amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by irwin69, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It has taken me 10 years of owning a Pioneer VSX 2014i receiver to discover the joys of the direct button. I also set my Blu-Ray/CD/DVD player to pass thru, got rid of the DRC and hey presto those Velvet Underground & Nico and Kleiber Beethoven 5 Blu Ray discs suddenly sounds amazing.

I also own a Goldring Lenco GL75 turntable linked to my amplifier by a cheap Cambridge Audio phono pre-amp. Now I have found the direct button should I consider upgrading my phono pre-amp? If so any suggestions?

I listen to quite a few Analogue Production and ORG reissues and just wonder whether a better phono pre-amp will make a huge difference?

Any thoughts welcome!

2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I would say go for it! I do not have any specific recommendation, but maybe just $150.00-$200.00 invested in a better phono amp should improve the soundstage, just overall a more open presentation. Also make sure your connections are clean, and observe the capacitance that's recommended for your cartridge. The cartridge/ stylus can also be upgraded as the budget allows.

3. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the info about capacitance. Something else to learn!

My cartridge is a Shure M75 ED Type 2 which I see from a Shure guide says it has capacitance of between 400-500 per channel.

My current phono is a Cambridge Audio Azur 540p which I believe to have capacitance of 240. The sound is pretty good especially as it only cost £40-50 but was wondering whether spending more will make a marked difference.

4. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Just FYI, your Azur unit has been well reviewed. You'd probably need to spend 4x what you paid for it to get something "better". You might think about a new stylus for your M75; not expensive and easy to do. Here is some discussion on the topic:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250354

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Do we know for a fact that AVR's pass the analog signal directly by using the Direct/Pure mode?, Just a curious question :), Beautiful reciever Irwin by the way :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.