Direct Drive Alternatives

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiofool, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member Thread Starter

Despite the belt issues stated in the Rega thread, my suggestion would be to still stick with a belt drive.

The Technics 1200 as Damian noted is a well-respected direct drive TT, but when I was doing my listening tests between it and a comparably priced Belt drive table, the belt drive was noticably better.

The 1200 is a great table for DJ-ing but for actually listening to music, a well designed belt table wins out every time (your mileage may vary)

A couple of reasons for this is that A) the DD tables use an AC motor that is controlled by a quartz chip which constantly adjusts for voltage fluctuations to keep the platter at 33.33333 rpm, while on the other hand, a good Belt table will use a DC motor that is not subject to fluctuation.

and B) the platter on a DD table is secured directly to the chassis by the spindle whereas the platter on a belt drive table is isolated from the chassis, which should give more of an 'open' sound from the LP.

Also, if you are able to get a one-piece arm (not like the ones where the head-shell detaches) this will provide a more faithful transmission of detail from the lp to the pre-amp/amp as the complete arm is considerably more rigid.

And yes, belt drive tables can be more finicky at times, but well worth the effort I've found over the years.

In my set up, if I wish to play anything at 45 rpm, I have to remove the platter, remove the 33 belt, put a 45 spindle adapter on the pulley, put the 45 rpm belt on, replace the platter, and then back again to go back to 33.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.