Direct Hits - the most fun Who album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jkauff, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member Thread Starter

I just love this album. The mono single mixes just jump out of my speakers, and give me the same rock n roll rush I felt as a teenager--40+ years on. I never play air guitar, but I really have to fight the urge when "I Can See For Miles" comes on.

Anyone else feel this way about it?

RDriftwood likes this.
  2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No. Worst sounding Who LP ever. The mono is a fold down of the reprocessed stereo. Total crap.

Steve E. and CMcGeek like this.
  3. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

I don't want to give advices on sound quality (and I never heard the pressing you have), but I love the album for the song selection. "Doctor, Doctor", "In the City", "Dogs", "Call Me Lightning" - often overlooked, nevertheless essential imho. So, yes I'm there with you.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Doesn't the Classic use the original mono mixes?

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Classic uses mono mixes. Original mono is a fold down of the stereo I believe, some of which may be electronically processed. The original stereo which I have owned since early 70s is pretty poor sounding - Classic Records version is the way to hear this.

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

from wiki

The album is of interest mostly to collectors. It was re-issued on vinyl in stereo during the 1980s in Japan. In 2006 the mono version of this album was made available in the U.S. as a limited edition vinyl re-issue by Classic Records. This release was pressed in regular weight (150 gram) and heavy weight (200 gram) versions. The first CD version was released as a limited edition in Japan in 2007.

7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Bought it mail order from England upon release in the days before Meaty Beaty. Only way to get a bunch of those classic 45 songs on an album, so it's great for that, but the fake stereo is pretty hideous. I remember being kind of stunned to hear Dogs for the first time. Not what I expected. "Lovely buttocks." Kind of like the reaction of the chorus in the Lumberjack Song.

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I like my Classic records "swirl" colored vinyl.

9. jkauff

Unless my ears are totally shot, this isn't true of the Japanese CD that came out a few years ago (which is what I have). "I Can See For Miles" sounds exactly like my 45, with Pete's guitar way up front. I can't say the B sides are all original, because I don't have most of them, but the A sides sound like the radio versions to me. No way a fold of fake stereo could have the punch these do. I used to have the original Track LP, too, and it sounded great.

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

The cd is correct

11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Same here with buying the LP on Import. I listened to "Dogs" a million times, such a great pop track. Dry goofy UK wit.

12. Larry Geller

This only applies to the original Track UK LP, which is what I thought you were talking about . The CD is fine. The Japan LP is a mix of true stereo & true mono, BTW.

dee likes this.
  13. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Does the Japan LP have the single mono mix of "I Can See For Miles"?
    I agree about the original Track sounding lousy - I got rid of my copy a long time ago.

14. Larry Geller

No, it's in stereo.

dee likes this.
  15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The US variant has a more "fun" cover:

[​IMG]

Plus, it contains "Disguises" which enhances the fun factor.

16. jkauff

But, once again, the recent Japanese CD has it in mono.

I haven't heard the UK track LP since it came out (apartment fire wiped out my collection), but I remember it sounding way more punchy than the US Magic Bus comp. Gotta admit, though, those are old memories.

humpf likes this.
  17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

So how does the Japan LP sound? I love this album but my original Track sounds terrible of course. Did the Japanese get a hold of different source material ?

18. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

image.jpg

My Classic Records 200 gram test pressing for Direct Hits - it comes with a side C & D that was NEVER RELEASED! The 2nd disc includes all of the Shel Talmy produced singles/b-sides/rarities that were not on the original UK mono My Generation lp. I'm thinking that some of these tracks (Leaving Here, Motoring, & Lubie) have never been released on vinyl in MONO (these tracks are in wide stereo, I think, on the "Missing" lps). Sounds fantastic too!

Rochdale3, Jon H., heyday2day and 3 others like this.
  19. Larry Geller

Sounds great. Uses true stereo whenever possible & true mono otherwise. My original UK Track is a very valuable 12" coaster.

20. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I have the Japanese CD and agree that it is a really fun album. I played it for a few of my friends who are really only familiar with the stadium rock phase of the Who's career, like "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia", and they couldn't believe it was the same band. It's too bad that the early days of the band are unknown to most people now. And I believe the CD is the only way to get the single version of "I Can See For Miles".

jkauff likes this.
  21. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

You can find the stereo single version of "I Can See For Miles" on the following CD releases:

Direct Hits UICP-93004
    Singles (2011) UICY-94784/5

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  22. Jason Michael

This has the mono single version. I don't have the 2011 Singles comp so don't know if it is mono or stereo.

23. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

You're right! I just checked and the Singles (2011) version is mono as well...

Sorry for the confusion!

Jason Michael likes this.
  24. Jason Michael

No probs!

25. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

I do not believe there ever was a stereo 45 of I Can See For Miles.
    And I think the US and UK 45's are the same (mono) mix.
    And Direct Hits JPN CD, The Singles JPN 2011 SACD both have the 45 mix.
    But The Singles LP has the BBC mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.