Dirty vinyl vs. groove damage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jimbutsu, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE Thread Starter

I have a few thrift store finds that just don't clean up well, and I'm 99% sure its not something I can or should salvage as it is likely damage and not any sort of addressable dirt or grime.

Is there a way to tell by sound one way or the other, or even better, does anyone know of any samples/needledrops that serve as good examples of one vs. the other?

2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

If it's a persistent background crackle through the entire album side then it's likely groove damage caused by prior playback with a damaged needle.

3. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

It's a difficult one. I'd assumed with some 2nd buys it was groove damage because I cleaned them. Then I bought some mfsl enzyme cleaner, left it on each side for around 10 minutes and the noise was vastly reduced. I think it must breakdown the dust etc. that is deep in the groove. Even does a great job with new vinyl.

Preston likes this.
  4. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

This is great advice and is exactly my experience, except that I use "regular" (i.e., non-enzyme) record cleaning fluid. The "soak" has become part of my normal cleaning cycle with used records over the last couple of years (read about it in these forums). I also follow the cleaning cycle with a rinse cycle during which I rub the water in with a MoFi brush.

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I have some LPs that I thought had groove damage, but now play very nicely after using the Audio Intelligent 4-step process with a VPI Cyclone, and this is after cleaning them with the GEM Dandy system. I am still surprised at how what seems clean often isn't. Of course this does come at a price and some effort.

John K.

6. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE Thread Starter

I use a Music Hall RCM and the AIVS stuff, so I'm doing a lot of that, but some records are just beaten beyond reason. It was very gratifying the other day though, to do a soak/clean/rinse on something my wife wanted to pick up and bring it back to glory. :)

7. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

After 40 years of maintaining vinyl this is my experience:
    When after a thorough cleaning the platter sill doesn't sound clean or even some distortion play the platter wet. (water, 10 % alcohol or isopropylalcohol, 1 drop dishwasher/100 ml or a commercial liquid). In most cases no more noise, crackles or distortion.
    Meaning tne platter isn't damaged. A damaged platter stay's noisy or distorted.

I have no explanation why wet playing results in absolute noisefree playback. Lubrication of needle/vinyl contact does something good, but what ?
    Anyway, wet playback solves the problem damaged or not?

Wet play: place some drops of liquid on the platter and let a brush or piece of cotton on an arm play just like for example a Lencoclean works if you don't have a Lencoclean or something like it. Before the brush runs dry the next drop of liquid wil do it's job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.