"Dirty Water" by the Standells

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John DeAngelis, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member Thread Starter

I've got this song on vinyl, but I'd like a decently mastered version of it on CD. I see that there are Standells Best-Ofs on Rhino and Hip-o (the latter has the mono mix and a stereo remix by Tom Moulton), a Standells reissue on Sundazed, and the song also appears on a single-CD "Nuggets from Nuggets" (Rhino again). Can anyone give me a bit of guidance?

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I like the Hip-o (not necessarily for the stereo remix, though, which sounds a bit odd to me). As for Nuggets, well, you could do worse than pick up the whole box!! There are track differences between the Rhino and Hip-o, as you've probably noticed; they're each good selections. The individual album releases can be tough going if you don't want to wade through lots of cover versions, so the comps are the way to hear this band, IMO.

3. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I prefer the Hip-O compilation.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

How about Steve's Toga Rock compilation? That's the best-mastered version I've ever heard.

5. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yeah, Toga Rock for sure. You won't do better on CD.

Also, Rhino put this track out on a very sweet 45rpm single (silver label featuring a reel-tape logo). It's at least as good as the Toga Rock version, possibly better, IMHO.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if you can find them, i highly recommend all four standells cd's on sundazed. decent sound and tons of bonus tracks.

renny

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

It sounded great to me on the old, pre-box set version of Rhino's Nuggets, Volume 1 from the mid-80's, if you can still find that one. Depends on your taste for Inglot's mastering work, but I'll never trade those sets in.

8. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I would recommend the Sundazed "Dirty Water" CD. It's remixed in mono and has a longer fade than anywhere else. I like the Hip-O comp. also, but the Tom Moulton mix of "Dirty Water" is actually a sync-up, I don't like it, it just sounds *wiggy* to me. The Rhino comp. is good as well, but I'd recommend any Standells that Sundazed did, they're great. Unfortunately they are all out of print, so hit the used bins!! :D

9. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen!

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

When I was 4 years old, my grandmother joked and said "If you go outside and bury a couple of records, you might see a record tree growing in a few weeks!"

So that's what I did. "Dirty Water" by the Standells, 96 Tears by ? & The Mysterians and "Rockin' Robin" by Bobby Day all went in the ground.

Only "Dirty Water" and "Rockin' Robin" surfaced after a year, and they were still fairly playable. No tree though..... :rolleyes:

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Heh, I get this mental picture of a dog running happily down the street, clutching in its mouth the "96 Tears" 45 it had just dug up!
    :laugh:

12. Sckott

That was a chocolate lab called M*A*S*H we had. He knew the Cameo/Pkway label stuff would be handy later on ;) Heh.

13. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Your license from Allan Klein must have expired...

Bob:laugh:

14. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I have a ? and the Mysterians "96 Tears" '45 on Cameo that looks like it's in bad enough shape to have been buried in your backyard, Sckott...maybe your dog gave it to my dad :)

15. Sckott

Those records were really in bad shape. "Rockin' Robin" didn't have a label when it was found. But it's that really "HOT" Motown mono sound that made me wanna keep it. :)

Losing "96 Tears" made me nuts. Imagine a kid crusing around the department stores looking through the "Back To Back Hits" 45 racks of reissue records and there's no Cameo records in sight.

Brings me back to when K Mart sold "Grab Bags" of cutout 45's for $.99!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.