Disco 4 "Home Entertainment Device"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tmax, Jul 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmax

tmax Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey all, totally new here and my first post.

Over the last few months my daughter has been collecting records and I wanted to get in on the fun. So of course I need a retro record player right? Something vintage from the 70's or 80's would be cool. Being a 1974 baby, I'm vintage myself so it's fitting I think. ;)

Came across a listing on Marketplace local to me (Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada) and was intrigued to say the least...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has 2 turntables, 8 Track, Cassette Tape and radio (AM, FM). There are 4 speakers across the top and a storage shelf in the middle down the bottom. The best part is the 2 lower side panels... they have different coloured lights that flash on the beat of the music. Disco baby! :righton:

Took it for a test drive and bought it on the spot (picking it up Tuesday). But when I did a google search I struggled to find any info online. In fact the only thing I found was a post on here by @Thrillsville back in 2013. So I'm posting here in hopes to connect with him and perhaps share notes. Or if anyone else has more info on these works of art, please jump in.

Thanks for taking a look at my post. I'll share more pics once I have the unit in hand.

Cheers,
    T.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Quite the beast!
    I'll bring the keg :D

SandAndGlass and tmax like this.
  3. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Love it! Perfect for that 70's man cave.

jeff

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I wanna see some video - turn off the room lights and put on some Donna Summer and let that thing cook.

SandAndGlass, tmax and bever70 like this.
  5. CodecCowboy

CodecCowboy Well-Known Member

Sweet find. Looks pretty straight forward to upgrade too!

tmax likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But of course keep the BSRs...as you can see, they are precision crafted in Great Britain. :edthumbs:

7. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

What a fantastic beast.

8. tmax

Anyone know how I can contact @Thrillsville ? When I click on his profile it says I don't have permission to view. :mad:

9. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Hey! I typed my user name by accident in the search box and found this thread!

For those who don't know I started a thread about this in 2013 with pictures of it in action (it's also my avatar pic):
    Large entertainment unit two turntables & lights. Any info?

Anyway, I don't have any more new information but...

Last night I was watching "Men With Brooms" (the 2002 Paul Gross film) and there was a scene in the basement of a house about 20 minutes in that had the Entertain-O-Tron (see post script of other thread)! Unfortunately they didn't point it out or make the scene about it so another dead end... ;)

As an update I can see that the one in the movie and the one that "tmax" posted pictures of (sorry, I don't know how to make the @link thing work) has the DISCO 4 logo on the front. Mine doesn't (also why I call it the Entertain-O-Tron).

Also, sadly, last year the 8-track broke. It won't change tracks automatically or manually. I want to get it fixed someday but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm not sure how do go about it.

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Made in Cradley Heath Worcs in the Black Country. The later BSR units were bit more up to date and that could take a basic Moving Magnet car
    tridge if you hard wired a phone stage in to raise the output

11. tmax

Glad we finally connection! I'll have to check that film out so I can spot the unit. I've since picked up a smaller unit as well which is very cool. The Disco 4 is basically in storage until we get set up properly, but I intend to give it some love and have it in full use in our games room. I'll update here when that happens. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.