Discography addition/ Dion question for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David R. Modny, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

I finally decided to shuffle on over and scan the discography list and noticed an omission. Ironically, one of my favorite albums and Steve remaster jobs for that matter. Dion's 1978 "Return of the Wanderer" - DCC silver disc DZS-049 from 1990.

Some of Steve's best work, IMO. Unlike, the still in-print ACE version you don't get the entire "Fire in the Night" album as a bonus (although 3 of the better songs from that "unreleased" '79 album were included by Steve). You can usually find the CD dirt cheap if you hunt around (it's sometimes listed with the original Lifesong imprint). Grab it in a heartbeat if you get a chance....it's, sonically, the definitive version of those tracks on CD, IMHO!

One of Tommy West and Terry Cashman's better productions too - engineered by Bruce Tergessen. Natural, unprocessed sound and none of the trademark vocal mic overload that plagued the Croce recordings. Great album and great songs too...made several critics 10 bests for that year. Might be a bit too "70'sish" and "New Yorkish" for some. Nonetheless, I love the hell out of it!

Any good tape/ remaster stories on it Steve? I noticed you did it at Future Disc in Hollywood.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You like that one, eh David? Yeah, I enjoyed working on that album.

I remember that the tape would not play at all, it needed the dreaded bake. So, we Fed Ex'd it up to Ampex in Redwood City with the usual "This is your fault, so make it play" note attached. :) :) :)

When it came back from getting it's sun tan, it worked (for about two weeks). I remember mastering it flat from the tape, the mix having a pleasing warm sound to it.

Glad some one remembers that DCC album!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.