DCC Archive Discography

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Zoo, Oct 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

Pat - "Vintage Music"... they're in!

thanks once again!

jeff

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Steve did all Gold remaster... supported by Kevin Gray before he went to Future Disc. Anyway I think so... Kevin also helped him during the LP masterings.

3. Chris Wheeler

Chris Wheeler Forum Resident

FYI the catalog #s for the Ray Charles GH vols. 1 & 2 are DZS-036 and DZS-037. Incidentally these albums seem to be readily available for around $10 each and are both excellent.

Also I have a Razor & Tie compilation titled Super '70s from 1995 that says it was mastered by SH. catalog # DR 7076, 2cd set.

-Chris

SinnerSaint likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They are?! I've never seen them...

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Haley, Bill From The Original Master Tapes - "Compiled and remastered by Steve Hoffman"

Holly, Buddy From The Original Master Tapes - "Compiled and remastered by Steve Hoffman"

"with one channel's phase reversed" - no, that's not true. There are phase problems, but the phase isn't reversed (if it were, the disc would yield no output in mono).

"The two bad discs are the same other than the count off and the reversal of the phase of the stereo channels." - no, the phase problems are the same (see above). The channels are simply reversed - left and right.

Mamas and Papas 16 Of Their Greatest Hits - "Compiled and digitally remastered by Steve Hoffman" - 1986

Who, The Beaty Big and Bouncy - should be "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy". I have a feeling it was pre-1988, as I don't believe Steve was still at MCA then. Canadian catalog numbers are: MCBBD-37001 and MCABD-37001

"The Canadians have 'blacked' around some of the intros and outros, but that's their right." - true, but I don't think it's been confirmed that the US release *doesn't* have the stuff between songs blacked, as nobody actually seems to have a copy.

Also, several online retailers have Rock Of The 70s, vols 2, 4, and 5. I haven't seen 3, and it's not clear if vol 1 is the DCC release or not - it's cheaper than the rest and is listed as an EMI disc one place.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  6. Matt

Matt New Member

Just so you know, the title of your website currently says "Dicography" instead of "Discography."

Anyway, here's some more CD's that were credited to Steve on CDNOW:

24 Old Timey Favorites, various artists, 5/15/2001

Remember Shakti-The Believer, John McLaughlin, credited as engineer, 10/3/2000, Verve

Beyond Category: The Musical Genuis of Duke Ellington, 1999

Heck, why don't I just post the link?
    http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1127180504/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/discography.html/artistid=HOFFMAN*STEVE/select=othercredits

SinnerSaint likes this.
  7. Holy Zoo

Ha! Now *there's* a king-sized typo! Thanks for catching that. It's fixed. :)

Luke - I've got your changes in. Want to take a look? BTW, if you care to reword the entire thing to your liking, please do feel free and send it along.

thanks!

jeff

8. Holy Zoo

9. Unknown

Unknown Guest

That one is not Steve, it's Sven Hoffman.

Steve also didn't do:

Motorhead - Live, Loud, and Lewd

Steve did do a Duke Ellington title, but I'm not sure if it's the one you listed or not.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  10. Holy Zoo

Ok... I've just moved all (well, most) the non-gold CDs on the DCC "Artists Albums" page into the "undetermined" section. As these are confirmed one way or the other, I'll either move them back to the "known" list or the "definitely not" list.
    http://www.swingteam.com/hoffman/dcc.html

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve did master the Johnny Cash, Ricky Skaggs, Juice Newton, Eddy Arnold, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Marty Robbins, Bob Wills, Stray Cats, George Jones discs, Jim Reeves, Dolly Parton discs. Basically every mainstream country aluminum CD that DCC mastered was mastered by Steve.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Bradley Olson ]

SinnerSaint likes this.
  12. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

DCC DZS-078 1995 CD Various Artists The "Best of Tragedy" was mastered by Steve. Also Donovan's "Catch The Wind" on Garland GRZ-016 1988. Great sound from the original 1965 Pye Records master tapes, another must have.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Larry Naramore ]

SinnerSaint likes this.
  13. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Re: Luke's quote
    "Also, several online retailers have Rock Of The 70s, vols 2, 4, and 5. I haven't seen 3, and it's not clear if vol 1 is the DCC release or not - it's cheaper than the rest and is listed as an EMI disc one place."

That EMI disc Volume 1(with the white booklet/Guitar-Picture) is a different series with the same title...just to make things confusing! Cheaper price and different songs. Look for the brownish, rock-framed CD art for DCC titles, if that helps?!

SinnerSaint likes this.
  14. Holy Zoo

Right:

[​IMG]

Wrong:

[​IMG]

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve did master the Dolly Parton and Bob Wills CD's on DCC.

Dave and SinnerSaint like this.
  16. Holy Zoo

17. Chris Wheeler

Chris Wheeler Forum Resident

In reference to the Ray Charles GH cds, I bought Volume 1 off of half.com 3 weeks ago for $9.95 and Volume 2 at the same time from footlight.com for $10.95, both in mint condition...

18. Holy Zoo

Hmm.. All Music Guide lists the Motorhead album as being mastered by Steve. Unless you're certain, I'll leave this in the "undetermined" state for now.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

19. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Nice touch with the CD graphics, Jeff! Wish I would have thought of that. Who else thinks that the DCC online store/inventory should be handled by Holy Zoo enterprises, Inc?! ;)

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The LP catalog numbers for Who's Missing and Two's Missing are MCA 5641 and MCA 5712, respectively. To avoid confusion, it might be worth specifically mentioning in the notes that although Steve did both LP and CD mastering for Who's Missing, he did not master the Two's Missing CD.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  21. Holy Zoo

Ha! Hmm.. seems I have a hard enough time handling the Holy Zoo CD catalog of 1 release. :D

Jason, great idea about "Two's Missing"! Done!

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

More that I forgot about:

Muddy Waters - At Newport. CHD-31269. 1986. "Master Tape Restoration: Steve Hoffman"

Muddy Waters - Sings Big Bill Broonzy/Folk Singer. CHD-5907. 1986. There's no credit, but Steve told me he did this one...

SinnerSaint likes this.
  23. Holy Zoo

Luke - got 'em!

thanks

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

From your "unconfirmed" column: From some online research I've been able to determine that Steve did indeed master an album called "Words of Love" by Buddy Holly, but it was an 8-song cassette-only release. MCAC-20260, 1985.

My sources, if you're interested: http://www.buddyholly.ca/DavesBuddyPicks.html (verifies Steve's mastering)
    and http://www.pmoorcroft.freeserve.co.uk/disco.htm (verifies cassette-only nature of the release)

And a nit-picky thing: Under Who's Next notes, it says "several versions of the CD *exit*"

SinnerSaint likes this.
  25. Holy Zoo

Jason - thanks! Updated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.