Discogs ; my experience.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

When I worked in a record store we could only visually grade, the volume was so vast, but we had a seven day returns policy, no questions asked, a full refund.
    We would then listen, after cleaning, I have had up to ten records to re-grade over a weekend, not easy or fun, but the number that stayed at the original grade far outdid the ones that dropped..
    It is impossible to clean every record, and I can only presume some people were were taping then returning.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Not just that but in my experience, people merely use room lighting which is often quite flattering to LPs' condition. I personally use the bright white LED light on my cell phone which reveals far more imperfections and grade according to that. Most people are either unaware of this factor or simply ignore it altogether.

Dave likes this.
  3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Yes when the sun shone threw the shop window, you would on visual inspection throw away half the records.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Regarding my recent unpleasant Discogs experience, all has ended well. I got a letter from Discogs, which reads as follows;

Dear Wayne,

The feedback from
    twelveinchjunkie on Order *** has been removed because it did not comply with our guidelines. The feedback will not appear on your account and will not affect your buyer or seller rating score.

The negative rating I left for the seller, which is justified, remains. I followed my gut instinct and reacted accordingly. You see, you can’t go wrong by doing right.

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.