Discogs seller incorrect listing.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by carrolls, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident Thread Starter

If a Discogs seller lists a CD under the wrong heading, i.e. lists a Joan Armatrading UK CD under the more rare Japanese for Europe listing, does he have a case, or should I demand a refund?
    For example, I ordered the Track Record Cd CDA67725 that was supposed to be the rare Japan For Europe without a barcode, but got the later UK version with a barcode.

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

The seller should provide the disc offered for sale. If that isn't what he has for sale, then he should give you a prepaid return label and refund your money.

Sadly I am dealing with a dispute with my credit card company because importcds again sent me the wrong version of a release. The first couple of times it happened, I had no proof that what they sent wasn't what I ordered but this time I was smart enough to do a screen capture of the listing on their website before they changed the details of the listing after I wrote them to complain of being sent the wrong item.

melstapler and carrolls like this.
  3. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

From the Discogs Seller's Agreement (emphasis mine):

I don't see that they've got a leg to stand on. When I've been in that situation in the past, I've received a full refund, but I've always had friendly sellers.

That said, if something is particularly obscure/rare, I'll generally ask the seller a few questions to confirm before buying. Dodged about three misprinted versions of The Soft Bulletin 5.1 that way.

tmtomh and carrolls like this.
  4. carrolls

Good to know guys, Thanks.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

When looking for a particular version, I always message the seller, asking him if what he has, is indeed what I want. I only place the order after I feel 100% comfortable I'll be getting what I'm after.

LordThanos1969, Galley and eddiel like this.
  6. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

I think you have a case if the item number isn't CDA 63725.

I don't think you can rely on more detailed information provided in the fields "Notes" and "Barcode and other identifiers" because there are just too many variations for many titles.

Joachim

7. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I disagree. The sellers agreement specifically says items will match the detailed information. You can have sympathy for the seller perhaps, but they're still liable.

8. joachim.ritter

Yes, it says "match the detailed information on the release page".

Discogs seems to be organised on the level of catalog numbers. But not on the level of (for example) matrix codes. So one should be able to rely on catalog numbers and tracklists. But of course you will not find all matrix code variations listed.

Furthermore Discogs entries are modified all the time, even after items have been listed for sale.

Joachim

Myke likes this.
  9. carrolls

What I would do in that case would be to add a new title to the Discogs list and then sell it. But the Uk listing was already in the database so he should have used that to sell his Cd.

10. joachim.ritter

If the catalog number is the same but with pressings from different countries I would mention that in the "Notes" and of course specify the pressing in my item description.

I couldn't find a special rule for this case in the Discogs guidelines.

Specifically mentioned are different matrix codes:
    "One edition of a release may have many different matrix numbers on individual copies - especially for major label releases. These are considered manufacturing variations for the purposes of cataloguing on Discogs, and not unique releases, so one Discogs 'release' may contain multiple variations in matrix numbers etc."

Joachim

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's been a long time since I added anything to discogs, but if one release had a barcode and the other not a barcode, then that was two entries because the artwork changed (there was a time when you couldn't add separate releases with the same catalog number, but that rule was changed). And yes, different matrices do not constitute different entries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.