Discogs: What is the returns process for a buyer?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ROFLnaked, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello:

A few days ago I received a jazz LP that I purchased through Discogs and it has an annoying skip in one spot; same result on both of my hi-fi systems. Sent the seller a message over the weekend with no response. Looking through the Discogs FAQ section, it's a bit vague in terms of the returns process: it instructs to fill out a Seller Not Responding report, at which point the Discogs team will step in and "offer advice." It then mentions contacting PayPal to help with a refund.

I would be much obliged if someone could outline the correct steps I need to take so that I may return this LP and have my money refunded.

Thanks!

2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

You need to use PayPal to facilitate your return/dispute resolution.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. ROFLnaked

Thanks GS--

I will go through PayPal. Strange that the guy would just straight-arm me.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Discogs' inability to be more "hands-on" causes some strange behavior in the marketplace. Thank goodness PayPal provides excellent buyer protection.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That's why Discogs doesn't have to get involved for routine returns. :)

tmtomh likes this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

BTW, you can file a support claim before hand if you wish since the seller has not responded. When you file a seller not responding support request, Discogs messages the seller and tells them they could be suspended for not responding so that usually does the trick. Or you can just file a claim directly through Paypal. You'll get a response either way.

Also, keep in mind, do not leave negative feedback until after you have dealt with the seller. If you leave negative feedback before you give the seller a chance to put things right (either through paypal or just between yourselves) the seller will likely asked for it to be reviewed and it will be removed.

tmtomh and GentleSenator like this.
  7. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I normally give Discogs/eBay sellers 5 days to reply to an issue I have. Normally, we can work it out without involving a PayPal claim. However, it's nice to have that option if the seller doesn't reply.

8. ROFLnaked

Original poster here.

It has been a week now since I've apprised the discogs seller of the problem (record skips) and thus I have opened and escalated a case through PayPal. My request is to return the record to the seller for a full refund of my original payment, which includes shipping. I am ok with paying the return shipping portion.

Can I reasonably expect that PayPal will decide in my favor? The record was advertised in VG condition, and other than the skip--which is a deal breaker for me--I must say that the record does have fewer pops & crackles than I'd anticipated. No mention of a skip in the description. Is there a chance PayPal will issue a decision that skips/sticks are the nature of a record stated to be in VG condition, and thus I am not entitled to a return...?

Thanks for your advice; this is my first time dealing with this.

9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The most likely outcome is that PayPal will rule in your favor.

Dave, eddiel and GentleSenator like this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Like tmtomh said, they'll likely rule in your favour. Paypal doesn't even know what VG is. All they'll know is that you claim the record was not as described and has a skip, which was not mentioned in the description.

Curious, did the seller ever reply to you at all, either through Discogs or the Paypal claim system?

11. ROFLnaked

Hello--

The gentleman finally did reply this morning. After a week went by and I'd gotten no message back, I filed a "seller not responding" claim through discogs yesterday. I'm guessing the threat of suspension--as you mentioned above--cajoled him into responding and authorizing the return.

12. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

So what did he say?

13. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I ordered an item of clothing through eBay and when I received it I discovered the item was damaged. I contacted the seller, who agreed to accept the return but wanted me to pay return postage *and* was also going to charge me a 15% restocking fee. I contacted PayPal, with a photo of the damage. That same day I received a return mailing label from PayPal with instructions to return the item and I would receive a full refund. I used the label, returned the item, tracked its return, and shortly thereafter received a full refund. Obviously some sellers, either intentionally or unknowingly, sell crap and then hope the buyer will just go away when they are threatened with postage and restocking fees. Not me! And the more we follow-up and return this crap, the less apt these sellers will be to sell crap. Good luck with your return.

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

All the sellers are individuals. Sometimes you just have to wait for certain ones. Most sellers don't make their living off of selling their collection. It's a little side money for them. It can be annoying when someone doesn't respond. I had that problem and then left some terrible feedback after buying a mono record and receiving a stereo. Then he got back to me and said he was just an old guy selling records and that he was sorry. Then I felt a little bad. Ratings are very useful with Discogs. If they have a good number of 'fast shipment,' 'good communication,' etc., then I feel I can trust buying with them.

Dave and GentleSenator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.