Discovering Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member Thread Starter

I picked up a cheap used vinyl copy of this the other day - when I was younger, I steered clear of this era of Beck's output because it was supposed to be the dreaded "fusion." I'm older and wiser now, and not scared of jazz or of (all) fusion, and, you know what? This is a really intriguing album. I think it's cool that Beck moved away from the hammer-you-into-submission power trio format of the Jeff Beck Group and Led Zeppelin and made this quirky little album. And it's good to see that Sir George Martin found a project worthy of his talents after the demise of the Beatles.

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

IMO, this is by FAR Jeff Beck's finest solo album, followed semi-closely by "Wired" which came out a year later. I'm actually not a big fan of the earlier stuff with Rod Stewart.

"Blow By Blow" is one of the all-time great all-instrumental albums. Sounds great on SACD, too!

3. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Great album. If you like this you will also like Wired and (to a lesser extent) There and Back.

4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

As much as I like Blow by blow, I rather have 'Who Else?' any time. That is the Jeff Beck record thet really knocked me out of my chair.

5. jblock

jblock Senior Member

If you've got surround, get the SACD. Very nice.

6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Blow is immortal, and probably saved Jeff Beck's career.

But he has only gotten better over time... check out any of his last 3 studio albums... esp Who Else.

Better yet, see him live.

At the very pinnacle of the guitar food chain.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member Thread Starter

I live in a two-channel world, I'm afraid. :sigh:

8. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Remember the 2 for 1 cassette of Blow By Blow and Wired that Epic put out?
    Close on the heals of those two landmark albums, in my book, is Jeff Beck With the Jan Hammer Group Live. Makes a great trilogy!

9. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

arguably, his best album.

later, chris

10. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I prefer Truth and There and Back as my faves.

11. finley1956

finley1956 New Member

FYI - The Jeff Beck Group wasn't a "power trio". There were officially four members: Beck, Rod Stewart, Micky Waller and Ronnie Wood with Nicky Hopkins an unofficial member. Led Zeppelin also had four members whose names are fairly well known. While not a guitarist or drummer, Plant did play harmonica and a bit of piano if memory serves.

Also, both groups expecially LZ, have a somewhat undeserved reputation for a "hammer-you-into-submission" approach. Both groups had their not-so-heavy moments, acoustical and electric. Some of the differences between these two groups and some of the "metal" groups are 1. Musicianship - The JBG and LZ members were professional musicians who could actually play their instruments 2. Songs - they wrote and played actual songs (with real melodies) and played them well, live and in the studio.

Blow by Blow is a good well-played instrumental album, but it's nothing compared to the JBG's "Truth" which is truly one of rock's greatest albums.

finley1956

12. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Yep- it's a winner.

13. No problem at all...the SACD (well, ALL SACD's right?) also has a 2CH mix. I don't think this one is a Hybrid though, so no redbook.

Brian

14. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

Yes, the glorious trifecta: Wired, Blow by Blow and There & Back. And ...with the Jan Hammer Group Live.

His recent works are really good, too: Jeff, Who Else? and You Had It Coming.

15. street legal

street legal Senior Member

:agree:

I live in the 2 channel world as well, but the SACD is worth it just for the stereo program, IMO.

16. claypool

claypool New Member

There is a Hybrid SACD which was released in Europe.

17. This is the only CD I have that is sealed and I have never heard a note of it. I have the MC SACD, and it's the only one I never got around to playing.

18. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Truth is the Jeff Beck album that I play most often (and have now purchased in three different forms) and what a joy it was to hear his version of Blues Stay Away From Me the first time that I played his Crazy Legs disk. I'd searched everywhere for that, yeah blues, Budwiser Beer commercial cut (before the days of the internet) and the search really exposed me to some great old and new school rockabilly.

19. GKH

GKH Senior Member

"Who Else!" may have been my favorite CD from the year 2000. Fantastic!!!

However; I remember when "Blow by Blow", and "Wired" were newly released. 2 really great albums!

I was never that much into Jeff Beck Group albums. 'Just didn't much care for the singing on them. But; his instrumental releases. are great! :righton:

Comet01 likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Although I love both, I've always preferred Wired to Blow By Blow. I'm in the minority on that one but Wired has always done it for me.

I haven't listened to the SACD in a while but I believe the multichannel layer uses the original quad mix rather than a more recent 5.1 mix...correct?

21. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Blow by Blow is a classic. I recently picked up the orange label LP, an improvement over my dark blue label LP.

22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Can't confirm it, but that's my understanding... either way, the surround mix is wonky to me... I'm generally receptive to creative surround mixes for rock, but the guitars on BBB are often very prominent in the rears, and it just strikes me as disorienting... I'd expect JB's guitar(s) to be up front, with other sonics spread elsewhere.

Still a keeper, though... Diamond Dust excellent in surround... and overall, the SACD sounds good in 2-channel.

Wired?... you bet -- that title leaves nothing to be desired.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Interesting. I generally don't like aggressive surround mixes (and this one definitely is), but I seem to recall that for some reason this one grew on me.

24. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Like it enough to have 3 versions

I never dreaded fusion, then or now. I first heard this "Blow by Blow" music in a stereo store where my brother used to hang out, the guy who owned it had the record, it had just come out (1975) and he did'nt like it so I bought it from him. I did'nt let his or anyone elses opinion deter me. I had Stanley Clarkes "journey to love" and liked Beck's contributions to that album so I wanted to hear more of what Jeff Beck could do. Later when "Freeway Jam" started coming on the radio, the stereo store guy bought the record again. I still have the same record he sold me, it is one of my all time favorites. Later I bought the CBS Master sound cd and the MFSL cd. I like all 3 versions. Stevie Wonder helped Jeff out a little on this album (Beck had played a nice solo on one of Wonders records earlier). This is some of the best guitar playing. Get "Wired" too.

25. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I just bought the SACD (mostly on recommendations from another thread in this forum). I've only listened a couple of times but was impressed. I, too, shied away because of the "fusion" moniker. What a mistake. This album as well as Wired are mind blowing. I also have Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop and love it also. Is Guitar Shop available on LP? It would be worth it just for the large format cover. What an awesome cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.