Discovering voices via videos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dillydipper, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Of course your findings won't match mine (and I admit many over the last few years were specifically for popularing a radio station playlist with not-the-usual-suspects within my format), but there's nothing more satisfying than finding something by taking a chance on a link, and coming into a sound you've never heard before.

Recently I've been captivated by some great, fresh female voices in my quests. There was Aurora Askenes, a young Norwegian who put a lot of manic energy into her earlier compositions (as in, started writing at 6!).

My niece steered me to The Weepies from Massachusetts, and the wonderment that is Deb Talan's feeble, Daria-quirky, mopety-mope.

A series of link-following curiosity that led me to Globus, and Lisbeth Scott, powerful enough to bounce off one mountain, and crush the other one with the echo.

In fact, yesterday evening I happened upon South African Alice Phoebe Lou, and the accents and tics that made her special before the words even come out.

But, today I've come across a female voice truly by accident (the accident of more targeted algorithmic serendipity that literally left me with my mouth watering. Try not to stare; as compelling as the visual is, you're not gonna get any better first impression than when this gal rolls her enthusiasm over that mic, and makes a pop-filter feel like it's the luckiest thing in the universe right now. Somehow at this moment, being an inanimate microphone-protecting accessory suddenly appeals to me as a vocation worth striving for!

Caution: the video is uploaded with a bit too much gain, so drop the volume about half, and really, you won't miss anything! :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.