Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I think Mike wrote the lyrics of the first verse, from that old Goldmine interview.

2. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Be True To Your School [Album Ver.]:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-4 votes
    4-0 vote
    5-1 vote

3. Wata

Today's song is Cherry, Cherry Coupe:

oldsurferdude likes this.
  4. Lance LaSalle

I LOVE "Cherry Cherry Coupe." I just love the melody. It's so catchy. I think it's much better employed here than on the "Land Ahoy" outtake from a year before.

Furthermore, I love the backing track, which I assume is played by the short lived lineup that included both Al on bass and David on rhythm guitar. The backing track, the way the instruments all play together has always sounded to me like the popping, shuddering sound of a car engine about to be gunned. It's startlingly arty, like the runaway train on Cabin Essence, only in 1963 and played by the band themselves (I guess.) A really brilliant example of Brian's growing arrangement genius.

Yeah, the song isn't all that deep but I love it.

5/5, I don't care.

pablo fanques and Shaddam IV like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Cherry Cherry Coupe

Cool groove. Fancy words. I like it. 4/5

6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Betsy. 3/5. The vocal delivery saves this song for me, which is otherwise too silly, although some of the lyrics are clever. But the singing is great.

Be True to Your School. 2/5. I really do not care for this song, but Carl has a nice solo on it, otherwise I would take it down to a 1.

Cherry Cherry Coupe. 4/5. Nice song, I've always enjoyed it. Great harmonies.

7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Cherry Cherry Coupe gets 3/5 for me. In the context of the album it’s a strong contender for best new song, but in the overall canon it’s not distinguished enough.

I love Mike’s vocal*, but wonder how Dennis would’ve handled it based on his leads so far.

*I've always tried to determine if he means to sing 'solenoid' instead of 'cellunoid' which is definitely not a word.

8. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

The OP's video is Car Crazy Cutie, not Cherry Cherry Coupe.

Regardless, I'd likely give them both 3 but prefer the latter. The former is too derivative of a Dion and the Belmonts' song.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  9. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Car Crazy Cutie` gets a 5 because of Brian's incredible lead.

Will Harris and The MEZ like this.
  10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

2/5- harmless songs

laf848 likes this.
  11. Wata

Sorry, I was meant to say Car Crazy Cutie but I said Cherry Cherry Coupe by mistake. I'm sorry about that.

Just in case, your ratings for both songs in the posts above will be reflected in today's and tomorrow's tally.

12. Wata

Your ratings for Cherry Cherry Coupe:
    1-0 vote
    2-1 vote
    3-1 vote
    4-3 votes
    5-1 vote

13. Wata

Today's song is Car Crazy Cutie:

oldsurferdude likes this.
  14. Hardy Melville

Car Crazy Cutie. 2/5. I'd like to give it more because it's well done, but it's just too derivative to give it more.

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

CCC - not my favorite cut but still ok. 3/5

16. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

No apologies necessary, Watamushi. Thanks for starting this enjoyable thread. :righton:

Wata and jwb1231970 like this.
  17. Lance LaSalle

"Car Crazy Cutie" -- Dion and the Belmonts pastiche; a good one though. I give it a strong 3/5. Nice vocal, Brian. Kind of wish they'd left the sax solo from the Survivors single in as I feel the middle 8 kind of misses that.

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Be True To Your School -- love the album version, stereo mix, kinda hate the lyrics, but the falsetto outro BW does is incredible, even if a more vibrato infused take from Hawaii. The single has more going for it, definitely, but the lyrics...3/5

Car Crazy Cutie -- 4/5, fantastic BW lead vocal, love how your can hear them snapping their fingers to the beat, maybe a nod to the street corner, Dion doo-wop they seem to be paying homage to.

Cherry Cherry Coupe -- 3/5, lush vocal sound, better than Land Ahoy, but not a lot of melody there.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  19. Lance LaSalle

Whoa, I cant believe how out of step I am with Cherry cherry coupe. I feel like i might need an ear doctor. It really tickles my ears.

Shaddam IV and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  20. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I'm giving Betsy a 5 for sentimental reasons. It was a song I barely noticed over 3 decades of BB fandom, until the band brought it out of storage at a concert I attended a couple of years back. The concert was outstanding, and so Betsy has become a favorite because it reminds me of that show.

Will Harris and pablo fanques like this.
  21. Wata

Your ratings for Car Crazy Cutie:
    1-0
    2-2 votes
    3-2 votes
    4-1 vote
    5-1 vote

22. Wata

Today's song is Spirit of America:

oldsurferdude and The MEZ like this.
  23. Hardy Melville

Spirit of America. 4/5. I like this one. Brian's vocals elevate what could be a rather cheesy song. It ends up being the kind of song no one does better than the Beach Boys.

oldsurferdude and The MEZ like this.
  24. Hardy Melville

Also, assuming Our Car Club is not next, and out tomorrow:

No-Go Showboat. 4/5. Brian elevates this with an interesting arrangement. I also find the whole concept of the song funny.

25. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Spirit is a 3/5 - it has more cred with me because of its true story about Craig Breedlove

pablo fanques and oldsurferdude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.