Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Oops!...thanks for letting me know. Here's the correct video:

oldsurferdude likes this.
  2. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I love both the stereo and the mono, so... 5/5 and 5/5.

The MEZ likes this.
  3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"In The Back Of My Mind": subpar song that doesn't go anywhere/mediocre vocal. Thank goodness that it's over relatively quickly.

2/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

In The Back of my Mind - kinda weird, an unusual arrangement, odd lead vocal from Denny, ends in orchestral harmonious disaray. I love it, its brilliant, yet it doesn't quite hold together this time. Its an unstable track teetering on the brink before finally letting go. Gets a 5/5 just on ambition, even if I do like Kiss Me Baby better.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Will Harris and Lance LaSalle like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Worth hearing if you haven't -

6. Daniel Plainview

7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

In the Back of My Mind
    Maybe my favorite on the album, honestly. And it's got some serious competition. I'm so glad Brian had Dennis sing this one. His voice works perfectly for this weary, unusual, melodramatic song. It's a dreamlike, evocative way to close the album. Yes, I ignore that next one. :)

5/5

The MEZ, Pawnmower and Lance LaSalle like this.
  8. Will Harris

Dennis, on the early albums, was Brian's secret weapon. Brian weaved Dennis' voice into some very interesting arrangements. I love all of Dennis' lead vocals from the very beginning.

9. Will Harris

Just noticed I forgot to add how I voted for "She Knows Me Too Well" yesterday - a 5/5. That song and "Kiss Me, Baby" rate the highest for me on the side two suite.

10. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Dennis' voice had so much natural character, either as a young man or as an older guy, who is still younger than me now. It just always sounds like he really means it from the bottom of his gigantic heart, whether he's singing "This Car of Mine" or "All Alone." You can say this about all of them, but Dennis' voice was one of a kind.

11. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

In the Back of My Mind. 4/5. Probably an 8.75 on a 10 scale, but imo not a 5 here. I like the vocal, especially for the way Denis's voice provides a change up from the others. But it's just not a song that moves me as much as the 5's on this album.

12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Never cared too much for this one and I agree with above comment about a meandering melody line. A well crafted song that any artist in the early 60s would be happy with but doesn’t sit well with The Beach Boys at this time
    3/5

13. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Very introspective lyrics for the time and having Dennis do the vocal provides a nice contrast. Lacks some of the usual melodic strength of other BBoys tunes.

A solid 4/5.

14. Wata

Your ratings for In the Back of My Mind:
    1-0 vote
    2-1 vote
    3-1 vote
    4-3 votes
    5-4 votes

15. Wata

Today's song(?) is Bull Session with "Big Daddy":

16. peerke

peerke Senior Member

If you look in an online dictionary for the word 'Filler', there's a direct link to this track.

pablo fanques likes this.
  17. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I have never listened to this willingly. I think one time I might have fallen asleep with Today! playing, and I probably did listen to it in my sleep. In fact, I have spent far more time reading about other people listening to this track then I actually have consciously listening to it.

I don't know if 0/5 is possible. So I guess I"ll give it 1. A very, very weak 1/5.

Still, it's Brian Wilson. He's an odd guy and he genuinely thought this was funny and worth hearing. It's all part Brian Wilson as an overall artist. These tracks are like his version of that awful avant garde stuff that John Lennon did in the late sixties.

18. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Bull Session
    It would have been a perfect album side if not for...

1/5

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Never understood including this track on Today! Maybe Brian wanted fans to have a listen into everyday behind the scenes activities in a day with The Beach Boys?
    Or just a little conversation to close the album out?
    Just my take obviously filler.

20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Somewhere I read Brian Wilson was kind of thinking a bit of comedy sometimes, or whatever, but the basic thought behind these talk tracks was "communicating to the fans" or something. In the case of the one on Shut Down Vol. II (so very cringeworthy) and "Bull Session..." -- utterly wasted vinyl space. I'd have preferred anything else that was actually a Beach Boys tune they had in the can somewhere still unreleased. Or even something previously released. That've still been better. I am somewhat partial to Our Favourite Recording Sessions, but it's still filler.

0/5

21. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Daddy-O Bull Sesh

I can go as high as 2 on this one, due to Mike Love's Earl Leaf/fig joke. With comedy like that, he's going to go places in the entertainment world.

2/5

22. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

It's not the worst track I've ever heard, but...1/5

23. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Bull Session. Obvious filler.

It would have been one thing if the cupboard was bare, so to speak, but with a song like Guess I’m Dumb possibly available, the inclusion of this track is all the more infuriating.

1/5

24. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Once again I'm late. "In the Back of My Mind", a huge favorite of mine. Love this track, love the vocal. 5/5

"Bull Session" ... I sometimes like these weird filler tracks, but this one is a 1/5 for me.

25. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Bull Session. I give it a 2 only because Carl said his favorite place in Europe was Rome, and I love Rome. The Coliseum. heh.

But to be clear when I listen to this album, I turn it off after Back of My Mind. Like most here I would assume. And oh yeah objectively it's a 1.

saborlord123 and Lance LaSalle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.