Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

You're So Good to Me. 5/5. Unlike some others, I have difficulty explaining why I love this so much. Great lead by Brian is part of it, and I sort of identify with the lyrics. I only wish it was longer.

And since I'll be busy tomorrow...

Summer Means New Love. 2/5. As a general fan of their instrumentals, I shouldn't be so harsh on this one, but I never liked it. I'm tempted to give it a 1. Probably should. As far back as I remember I would lift the needle after Good to Me on the second side.

Bugged at My Old Man. 1/5. These comedy fillers got worse as time went on.

And Your Dream comes True. 1/5. Not my thing at all.

I'll wait to Friday to talk about the album overall.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  2. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

You're So Good To Me - 4/5 A really nice little song that is kind of Wild Honey trailer (so is Gettin' Hungry on SS), just as Let Him Run Wild IMO is Pet Sounds'. Motown influence is obvious.

3. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

This is one of my favorites: legit played by all 5 BBs, great guitar riff, cool rhythm guitar sound...butbits the lyric that really pushes it over the top for me. Its just so honest and guileless, yet there are some complex emotional dynamics in this song.

5/5

Will Harris and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  4. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

This is a nice song that fits well on this album. I give it 4/5. I don't think it's quite up to the level of California Girls or Help Me Rhonda, but definitely a good song.

Will Harris and Wata like this.
  5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

You’re so good to me - a strong 3/5 I never understood the praises for the background Lala’s?!? I don’t know if one person said it and then every writer afterwards copied it or what -am I not getting something?

6. Lance LaSalle

I've never read any praises for them...but I don't mind them, either. They are just another texture, blending in with Bruce's organ to make a wholly different sound, as far as I'm concerned

Will Harris and Rock66 like this.
  7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Much better suited to a Girl Group:

sewerdog and Lance LaSalle like this.
  8. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

"You're So Good to Me" - a great guitar riff and very engaging, well-delivered verse melody let down by a weak chorus -- melodically and especially lyrically. As a throwback to the 50s or "Be My Baby," maybe the lyrics are OK, but it feels more like a hastily finished song than a classic to me. 3/5

Rock66 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Same page exactly:

4/5

Except I like the "la la la" background vocals on Rubber Soul...

What was that about the guitar riff sound on You're So Good To Me? Something about it being played through an organ speaker or ?

10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Leslie speaker, same that a hammond would be played through.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Youre So Good To Me - not quite as great as the proceeding track, but still great. I've always suspected that its a chorus of overdubbed Brians in the background. I like the sentiment in the lyric. Kinda like a sequel to She Knows Me So Well, but much lighter in mood. I love the song, and will give it a 5 for that reason alone.

12. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Yes, maybe not as great as the other 5 songs on the record, but have you guys ever heard of the concept of "Shades of Fives"? "You're So Good to Me" is one of those shades. 5/5.
    Brian's man-up lead vocal is a wailing good time. And this time it is him on piano (damn it!) - yes. Carl on that "we're almost ready to unleash our ideas for 1966" leslieized guitar.
    Those la, la, la's didn't belong to The Beatles exclusively.

Extra 1/2 point because the Boys play the backing track. Extra 1/2 point because Carl picked up his guitar and run it through a Leslie cabinet. The invention of the Leslie speaker
    cabinet was a major advancement to music.

This track was still considered strong enough to release as a b-side in 1966, ten months after recording.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  13. Lance LaSalle

Well, what song did the Beatles sing "La, La, La" on before Summer Days? I don't quite get the connection. For me, the "las" just add musical texture in the background, emphasizing Bruce's organ rhythm.

14. [QUOt still TE="gd0, post: 19760851, member: 3649"]Much better suited to a Girl Group:

[/QUOTE]
    those girls can still sing

15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Yer So Good 2 Me

Great strong Mike Love bass vocal part. This bass part is even better than the one on "I'm Waiting For The Day". The song is up there with the best ones on the album. Epic Brian lead vocal. Overall upbeat and positive sentiment.

5/5

16. Wata

Your ratings for You're So Good To Me:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-2 votes
    4-4 votes
    5-6 votes

The MEZ likes this.
  17. Wata

Today's song is Summer Means New Love:

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Summer Means New Love is 4/5 for me.

When I first heard it as a kid (when I was ten in 1970) I was embarrassed for liking it and had to hide it from my friends. It was clearly very old fashioned by then. It may have even sounded a bit retro in 1965. You get a very strong 1950's / early 1960's slow dance vibe as it starts out, but then it goes into some wonderful melodic territory and the lush orchestration at the finish takes you into Brian Wilson dreamland. It's a wonderful track and almost in Pet Sounds territory were it not for the slow dance by the bay vibe.

19. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Summer Means New Love
    This is often where I end the album and it's a nice nostalgic final feeling for the album. Very much a "summer is over" kind of feeling to this track, in my opinion, with all the beach side attractions and shops getting boarded up for the winter. I never thought the title really matched the feeling I get from the song, unless that new love is coming to an end because they are both headed back to school... I do like this one, but nothing mind-blowing.

3/5

The MEZ and Lance LaSalle like this.
  20. Lance LaSalle

Pleasant but doesn't knock my socks off. But it is an important step to the orchestrations that Brian would be making a few months later. Like it better as a instrumental than as a song with vocals (i.e., on No Pier Pressure -- Icut that song off my version.) 3/5 Not a let down of the album, more like a pleasant interlude.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Summer Means New Love - filler my dimpled ass. This is a beautiful summer stroll along a shoreline that gets more and more enchanted with each step. At first one could mistake this for a relic of The Beach Boys earlier, simpler time, like another "After The Game", but that would be incorrect. This orchestration surges in and pushes this thing into full technicolor glory. Just as refreshing and revitalizing as the instrumentals on Pet Sounds. Another masterpiece, on an album full of them. 5/5

p.s. I don't know why Brian decided to revive this tune for "No Pier Pressure" but I do not care for it. It did not need words. And, since the lyricist's legal entanglements, I can no longer hear the words "I want to take you someplace quiet" without unsavory images flooding my mind.

22. Will Harris

My Beatles statement was a light-hearted reference to the "Sha la la la la la la " from "Baby, It's You" (1963). The Shirelles version was 1961. They also have the la la la bit, so in reality it's written into the song. I believe the lyrics were written by Mack David (Hal David's older brother).

If we wanted to get serious about a Beatles connection, there's "You Won't See Me" (recorded 11 November 1965). That uses a harmony background of "Ooh, ooh, la la la". Paul admitted the song was an attempt to do a Motown type number... I haven't read all the Paul books, but from
    what I have read the verses use the same chord pattern as "It's the Same Old Song". Paul, to my knowledge, has never said Brian had influenced his song. But Paul would have heard "You're So Good To Me" now wouldn't he? So your point is well taken since Paul wrote the song after The Beatles came back from the 1965 American tour - who's the teacher, who's the pupil, la la la la la.

Hardy Melville and Lance LaSalle like this.
  23. Lance LaSalle

It's a pity Wilson didn't copyright the "la"!!! I'd owe him royalties everytime I signed my name.

Will Harris and Smiler like this.
  24. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Parachute Woman and the Zodiac have encapsulated my feelings for SMNL.

I'll split the difference between their ratings and give it a 4/5.

EdogawaRampo and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. Will Harris

Brian on piano with his "other" boys, the Wrecking Crew. Tommy Tedesco overdubbed that gorgeous lead guitar. Along with "And Your Dream Comes True" and "Let Him Run Wild", "Summer Means New Love" is where Pet Sounds begins in earnest. The second side of Today was
    a trial run to see how his audience would embrace this new place he wanted to go, and he had a few others in the early days. Not as good as this, though. There was some resistance so he backed away a bit giving us some more "Fun Fun Fun" type tracks on side one of Summer Days
    (And Summer Nights!!)
    . Then he filled side two with another wave of personal songs, much like Today, but I think going even deeper. It's the great debate, right? I sit firmly on the side of the fence that he improved at what he was after.

And that's what he did with Pet Sounds - got even better at it, and deeper into it. A whole album of it, no compromises, not for anybody, save one for Mike, and Mike was right about that lyric to "Hang On To Your Ego", it didn't fit the mood. But, hey, I didn't know about that in 1966. "Summer Means New Love" is my third favorite instrumental by Brian Wilson. A 5/5. And since it was brought up, I must say I love what he did with the track for No Pier Pressure. 'Cause I love that album. It was horrible what Scott did, but I've had to put a lot of stuff in the back of
    my mind since September 1992. I'm still here writing about my love for every thing this group of men have gone through. It's all a part of being a Beach Boys fan. There have been good times, there have been bad times. Turn, turn, turn...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.