Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Little girl is too bouncy and happy sounding for Pet sounds

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Pet Sounds opens with Wouldn't It Be Nice.

daveidmarx likes this.
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

:righton:

4. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Summer Days - 4/5

It's a really good album, and I probably like it a bit more than Today!, but it's not as consistent as my pre-PS favorite album, All Summer Long, in my opinion.

5. EdogawaRampo

I think I've listened to Today! more and like Today! better, but I'm with you on the 4/5 for Summer Days (And Summer Nights!) and All Summer Long being the best of the pre-PS albums.

Lance LaSalle and Wata like this.
  6. Wata

Your ratings for Summer Days:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-3 votes
    5-8 votes

The MEZ likes this.
  7. Wata

Today's song is Graduation Day:

8. EdogawaRampo

Nice vocals, but for late '64 / '65 this is really old fashioned.

2/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

What he said.

2/5

10. Wata

Graduation Day - Nothing special, but sounds completely fine.

There's a part of me who wishes they had made a full non-Christmas album in four freshmen style, or big band style. It would've sounded great, though it might have wrongly solidified their public image as an old-school, corny group.

11. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I really dig "Graduation Day". ) Old fashinoned in 1965 it may have been. But it's 2018 and nary a care do I give! It's all old fashioned, now. Execution is as perfect as it gets, despite the would-be production of Bruce "Good enough for those tiny speakers" Johnston! And yeah, I like the song. This was Brian's music, he liked old people music, let's face it. He was a nerd. So am I.

5/5.

12. Wata

Well, I forgot the rating for Graduation Day - 3/5

13. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Graduation Day. Yes, old fashioned but not unlistenable. 3/5

14. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

It is definitely old people music, though I prefer the Mills Brothers myself if I'm going for straight harmony. 3/5. It is OK, but it doesn't add anything to the piece, unlike many Beach Boy covers where they improve on the original (in my opinion). I agree with Watamushi that it would be nice to have a retro album of classics done in the pre Pet Sound era, but that probably would have even made it harder for Brian to produce Pet Sounds and the other late 60's material.

Wata and Lance LaSalle like this.
  15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Graduation Day"

These boys can really jazz the proceedings up. I like this studio cut, that our host used to replace the Beach Boys Concert version for the DCC Spirit of America CD. I also like that live version, though it has the trademarked BB live tomfoolery/buffoonery. I don't own the studio version. How does it sound on the 1990 Today!/Summer Days twofer? That track is a 1990 Mark Linett mix.

This studio cut reminds me of the also jazzed up Donald Fagen cut "Maxine" from his first solo album, which is a great cut on a great album.

5/5

16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Always good to hear the guys singing this style. Brian never forgets his roots. 3/5

17. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Brian must have thought about putting this on the album or using it as a single side even though they had used a live version in 1964. They recorded "Graduation Day" 5 May 1965 right in the middle of the sessions. I don't think it would have fit very well on the album, but they were still working on "Sandy, She Needs Me" that day. Another puzzler was why not use "Guess I'm Dumb" in some form? Glen released the single on 7 June, that left weeks to think about maybe placing it on the album coming out on 5 July. That instrumental we got is great, and would have fit beautifully. Anyway...trying to figure out why they did what they did is frustrating, so I'll stop.

Brian liked old fashioned, he was a Rosemary Clooney fan! And he loved The Freshman. They put "Graduation Day" out on Freshman Favorites in 1956. Brian was still thinking about it near ten years later. I give this studio attempt 4/5.

18. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yes. Can you imagine Summer Days with Sherry/Sandy She Needs Me and Guess I’m Dumb? Mind boggling.

19. Lance LaSalle

“Graduation Day” was cut for a lip-synced TV program that never actually aired: they discuss it in the sessions, with Bruce in the control booth thinking that no one will be able to hear the mistakes on the tiny TV speakers amd the Wilsons assuring him they will.
    Demnis takes a break and they nail the take wothout him.

20. EdogawaRampo

Would have conceivably taken the album into full classic status IMO...

Mr. D and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Good catch. Haven't played MIC disc two in a while. Yes, must have been recorded for the 16 May 1965 Ed Sullivan Show. The Beach Boys were scheduled to play, but it didn't happen.

22. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Wasn’t Sullivan typically live? Why would they have lip synched?

23. Lance LaSalle

Im not sure if it was Ed Sullivan; i think though for these kind of four part harmony songs, they would sing live while a recorded track played, effectively double or triple tracking the voices for the TV performance.

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

25. Wata

Your ratings for Graduation Day:
    1-0 vote
    2-2 votes
    3-4 votes
    4-1 vote
    5-2 vote

Thread Status: