Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

5/5. I believe.

2. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

You Still Believe In Me - 5/5. I don't have much to add here that the other reviewers have said, but I agree that it's one of the strongest 5s on the album.

One thing: Shouldn't we use the original mixes for these tracks, instead of the stereo remixes? The stereo completely changes the balance of the instruments and doesn't quite feel like Brian intended IMO. (I'm playing along at home using my DCC Gold disc, but maybe the original mixes would be better in case any new fans want to play along? Just a thought.)

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  3. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I will add that Brian sings the word ‘me’ a bit flat in first verse...you can hear it on the vocals only, I’m surprised he didn’t catch that and do it again

4. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

You Still Believe In Me - 5/5.

5. Wata

Your ratings for You Still Believe In Me:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-2 votes
    5-11 votes

6. Wata

Today's song is That's Not Me:

7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

That's not Me is a tiny notch below the best of this album for me, on the second tier but it's still a deep meaningful song -- maybe one of the more honest on the album. Plus having actually been played by Brian carl and Dennis, it gets extra love from me. Carl's phrasing on the 12 string guitar is exquisite.
    Second tier Pet Sounds is still 5/5.

8. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

Nice heartfelt vocal by Mike. And I love the way Brian jumps in for the lines that require more vocal range and emotion. That approach to the vocals is echoed in the instrumental track, where the restrained and slightly monotone organ, percussion, and bass arrangement is punctuated by Carl’s delicate and expressive guitar bits. This one was a bit of a grower for me, but is now among my favorites. 5/5.

As a side note, the brooding organ foreshadows Brian’s prominent use of that instrument on Smiley Smile. Interesting to observe the seed of a new musical idea from an artist who grew bored easily and did not like to repeat himself.

9. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

Another great track. 5/5.

10. Chaim Shraga (2GrandCru)

Chaim Shraga (2GrandCru) Active Member

5/5 It's always been one of my favorites. I can understand why some might think of it as second tier, as the production is somewhat leaner than the rest of the album, but that's actually a plus for me.

Mr. D, Will Harris and Lance LaSalle like this.
  11. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That's Not Me -- 5/5
    The instro backing track hooks me in almost as much as the vocals.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  12. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

That's Not Me - 4/5. Still very good, just a notch below some of the rest. And that's a VERY strong 4.

13. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

By second tier, I meant for this album, I want to make that clear. It's still great, I love the backing track too. I just think there are a good half dozen songs on this album that are MONUMENTAL so a merely excellent song is "second tier."

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Thats Not Me - 5/5. Outstanding vocal from Mike.

pablo fanques likes this.
  15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

4/5 at one time I thought this as my song, sureymany of you did too. I’d put this a notch above You Still Believe

16. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Despite Mike's clunky vocal, it's an incredible song that would have fared better with Al taking the lead. Earns a 4 from me.

17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"That's Not Me"

The slickness of the lyrics and lyrical transitions might make this song seem better than it is. It was ambitious for Brian and Tony to try to write about this story in such a short song. There's a parents angle, a girl angle, and the guy's dissatisfaction angle all crammed into one short song.

The lyrics work pretty well for what they are in moving the ideas along. Some of the lines work, but others are a bit nebulous, like, "I went through all kinds of changes, took a look at myself and said that's not me." It begs the question of: what kind of changes did the guy go through? It's a pop song, not a novel, but still feels a bit incomplete.

Overall, it's a quality and rare kind of track, as it's one of Mike Love's most passionate ballad vocals. We almost never hear him sing a song like this.

This is one of the three songs on the album, in addition to "Caroline No" and "I Just Wasn't Made For These Time", that Tony Asher worked on musical elements other than just lyrics. He was a bit dissatisfied with his work on the lyrics, though. He felt that he "missed the mark".

4/5

18. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I feel a personal connection to "That's Not Me". The lyrics read like a description of my early twenties life. One of Mike's very best vocals, ever. 5/5.

pablo fanques, Mr. D and EdogawaRampo like this.
  19. EdogawaRampo

For me as well. Therein lies some of the brilliance of the tune -- it's resonance with so many people's experience.

Lance LaSalle and Will Harris like this.
  20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

That's Not Me. 5/5. One of my Beach Boy favourites.

One of Mike's best (restrained) vocals. Understated production compared to the other songs on the album but that gives the song more of an intimate feel and I love the percussion.

Along with Wouldn't It Be Nice, I Just Wasn't Made for These Times and Caroline No, a corner stone of the album's theme of the passage from adolescence to adulthood.

Can't say enough good things about this song.

21. Wata

That's Not Me - 5/5. Actually, this is getting to be my favorite on the album.

The eccentric drumming is ear-catching, and the simpler production when compared to the rest, reminds me of what Brian would do during SMiLE sessions and afterward.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  22. Wata

Your ratings for That's Not Me:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-4 votes
    5-9 votes

23. Wata

Today's song is Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder):

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. Wata

Don't Talk - 4.5/5, rounded up to 5.

It's probably my least favorite song with vocals on the album. It's a beautiful, slow piece of music, but doesn't haunt me as much as, say, The Warmth of the Sun or Kiss Me Baby does, but, well, any slow ballad Brian did during 60's sounds good enough to give it a 5.

Will Harris likes this.
  25. EdogawaRampo

Don't Talk -- Can't help but give a 5/5. Beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.