Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

5/5 It's one of the best slow numbers the Beach Boys ever did and it helps that it was intentionally recorded to fit with the other tracks.

Will Harris and oldsurferdude like this.
  2. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Don’t Talk- Love it’s broody magnificence. Who else could sing this but Brian? The backing track never becomes the center piece of this song, just Brian’s glorious vocal. Makes me think of my wife 5/5

3. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) - 5/5. Beautiful song.

Will Harris and oldsurferdude like this.
  4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Don’t Talk...4/5

The track alone without vocals is as good as the track with vocals ... i like accompanying myself on piano on this one - great chords

Will Harris and Lance LaSalle like this.
  5. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

Unusual chord progressions and key modulations make it hard to guess where this song is going next and creates a little bit of unease and a desire for resolution, which fits the lyrical theme. Brian really wants the listener’s full attention to the music—“Listen, listen, listen.” It’s almost like he’s talking to a certain band mate who has some doubts about making pop music too complex or intricate. “C’mon Mike, if you’ll just close your eyes, listen, and not talk, you’ll get why this is special.” And Jesus, the melody and vocal are just otherworldly.

On a controversial note, I think the song would have been even better had the unused “wall of Brians” vocal harmonies been laid under the second verse (as in the attached alternate version). It gives the song a more dynamic structure. And that unused vocal section is a really cool piece of music in its own right. It has a floating, jazzy structure that again makes you long for resolution. I guess Brian thought it was too much. Still, it’s interesting to see how many great ideas Brian had for this album. 5/5.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Dont Talk - of my favorites. 5/5

7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

The unused "wall of Brian's" is on the track, kind of. Isn't it just the same arrangement as the strings, more or less? And what an arrangmenet for strings!
    Anyway, this is a super strong 5/5 for me. I think this song is absolutely monumental, up there with Surf's Up, God Only knows and all the rest of the usual greatest songs ever.
    It's almost difficult to me to listen to, it's so full of pain. I feel like there is a bottomless well of emotion in this song that I can drown in. And it's not exactly nice emotions, it's fear, it's apprehension, it's anguish. Yet it's so beautiful and the feeling of two lovers lying there, entwined while one of them has this going on inside of them is heartbreaking yet beautiful because it's such a pure clear human moment that as far as I'm concerned has never really been captured in any work of art ever other than this one.

Chris M, Doctorwu, nick99nack and 5 others like this.
  8. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

A true portrait of the heart of Pet Sounds with Brian at peace with his feelings in a moment of complete and divine nirvana. A dreamy 5 for sure.

9. Lance LaSalle

It's so interesting that you get "complete and divine nirvana" from his song and I get ""full of pain", "fear" "apprehension"and "anguish." I don't disagree with you, or say you wrong; we just get something different out of it: feel like the song is incredibly sad; the piano figure that repeats IS romantic, though.

Definitely, though, there is something dreamy about it all.

Rock66 likes this.
  10. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I tend to think those lyrics are full of love. I'm rolling the lyrics around in my brain trying to see them the way you do...but I can't. Maybe a little sad, and a touch of anguish, but not pain or fear. What is he scared of? Losing his girl? To me, a "let's forget all about it" and hold each other close song. Oh, and a 5/5 song.

11. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Everything on Pet Sounds is so immaculately crafted that every song could warrant a 5. My rating is if it is one of my absolute favourites, it gets a 5. Anything else is getting a 4.

Don't Talk is one of my 4's.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I’ll go with that too

oldsurferdude likes this.
  13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yep you get what I get out of it

14. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Thanks for the likes, guys, but what I was referring to was that it felt, to me, that Brian was experiencing the nirvana while writing and recording the song. Of course when I listened for the first time in 1966, I had the identical mind set that sent me to another place. Whew!

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Mike Love's doubts about Brian's musical inclinations were normal creative differences among band members. It ultimately became a question of how much time the band was going to spend chasing rabbits. If Brian didn't have any doubts about making pop music that was too complex or intricate he would have completed his baby, the Smile project.

He tried to make a concept album about a bunch of ideas that never really gelled into a coherent whole. He was making the story up as he went along as, in 1967, The Beach Boys had little that they were able to release from the months of sessions. They wasted many moons that they could have better spent making music that they could perform live.

Brian was the one who eventually had to take a step back and realize that his avante garde musical ideas were the proverbial tail wagging the dog and that it was time to return to planet earth.

16. Lance LaSalle

It's not the lyrics, it's the music. I don't get it from the lyrics either; it's the juxtoposition and friction between the lyrics and the music that really make the song so great to me.

What's he afraid of? Whatever he hears in her sighs and sees in her eyes? He's apprehensive about the moment ending, as it inevitably will in "Caroline No." He's also on the cusp of great change, on the border of childhood and adulthood, feeling the innocence of the past, of the whole culture he is part of slipping away ( a recurring theme.) He doesn't want to put these things into words yet, He wants to enjoy this fleeting beautiful moment, but the feeling is there underneath.

Going back to the Wall of Brian demo or the isolated strings which you hear on the box set..those are some of the saddest sounds I think I've ever heard in pop music

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Don't Talk"

This is a great album track. It's too much Brian, however. This needed some Beach Boys harmonies like The Beatles in 1970 needed Phil Spector, amirite? I'm also curious how this would sound with Carl singing instead of Brian. It might have been an improvement.

4/5

18. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Don't Talk:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-3 votes
    5-10 votes

19. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Today's song is I'm Waiting for the Day:

20. Lance LaSalle

I'm Waiting for the Day. A second-tier 5/5 for me.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Im Waiting For The Day - 5/5

22. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

I'm Waiting For The Day - 5/5

23. Uncle Ernie

Whatever the cause—skepticism from within the group, Brian’s personal problems and insecurities, the technological limitations of the period, etc.—the day Brian Wilson felt he had to abandon his most ambitious musical ideas and “return to planet earth” was a sad one in my book. The music he created and recorded during the brief Pet Sounds/Smile era (1966 through early 1967) is my favorite stuff and arguably some of the best music the genre has ever produced. I wish he could have remained in the stars a while longer.

As for “making music that they could perform live,” I’m sorry, but many of the Beach Boys’ live staples and highlights came from this musically adventurous period. God Only Knows, Wouldn’t it be Nice, Sloop John B, Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains were mainstays; Caroline No, You Still Believe in Me, Don’t Talk, Surf’s Up, Wonderful, Vegetables, Cool, Cool Water (Love to say da da) also made repeated and memorable appearances when the group was widely considered to be one of the best live acts in the business. The guys were very good at adapting these complex recordings for the stage. In fact, it’s interesting that some great performances of Smile era songs came during the scaled-down unplugged phase in the early 90s. And it’s because of the quality of the compositions. The songs were intricate and beautiful with or without the elaborate arrangements or studio magic.

24. Uncle Ernie

I’m Waiting for the Day. Again with the amazing dynamics. I love the way Brian slides back and forth vocally between sensitive suitor and lusty lover. I also like the way he adopted the guitarist’s “mistake” in the first verse and kept it in the song. One of my favorite parts of a song that has many unexpected and interesting bits. 5/5.

pablo fanques and oldsurferdude like this.
  25. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I’m Waiting for the Day. Love it. One of my favourites on the album. I especially love the vocals on the coda - “You didn’t think.,.”

5/5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.