Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaim Shraga (2GrandCru)

Chaim Shraga (2GrandCru) Active Member

I have to give it a 5 because of its impact and overall grandeur. I have a great deal of respect for it but it's never really moved me emotionally and I never stop in tracks when it plays.

2. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for God Only Knows:
    1-1 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-0 vote
    5-14 votes

3. Wata

Today's song is I Know There's An Answer:

4. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

It may be a bit dated compared to other PS tracks, but I still like it and give it a 5/5.

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

6. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

Not as tuneful as most Brian Wilson songs—but what it lacks in melody, it makes up for in sheer inventiveness. Again, the attached instrumental track is by itself a very rewarding listen. Unusual combinations of instruments and lots of counterpoint in the arrangement. I love how the bass carries the main melody. And that wailing bass harmonica seems to echo the inner turmoil discussed in the lyrics. The point where the bass harmonica/banjo section ends and the piano/organ/guitar re-emerges is a goosebumper for me. And Brian sprinkles another subtle horn melody into the outro just to keep things interesting from beginning to end. Great stuff, lovingly created. No filler here.

The tag team lead vocal with Mike, Al, and Brian is cool too. Again, this shifting vocal tecnhnique seems designed to reflect the mercurial personality described in the lyrics. At the very least, it makes the song more dynamic and interesting. And gosh, Al sure has a strong voice. I wonder why Brian didn’t give him more leads. Anyway, 5/5.

pablo fanques and Rock66 like this.
  7. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

8. oldsurferdude

:biglaugh::biglaugh: Yet another weak song that could have been amazingly better with Mike Love's "help".

9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"I Know There's An Answer"

There's an answer? Great, well what is it? This is a way too watered down version of "Hang On To Your Ego". The backing track still makes it a little interesting, but the lyric feels too nebulous compared to the original. I don't listen to "Answer", only "Ego" as our host mastered on the DCC CD.

2/5

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  10. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

"I Know There's An Answer" - While musically inventive like the rest of the songs, the lyrics are a mess. If they wanted to change them, then they should have worked harder to create something that made sense.
    That makes it fall out of any category/shade of 5. Still good enough for a 4/5.

11. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I Know There's An Answer

Man, there's a lot going on there musically. Such a unique mix of instruments and sounds.

I am surprised no one's gotten into the chorus debate (I Know vs. Hang Onto Your Ego). I prefer Mike's change.

This one's full marks for me. 5/5

12. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The change was for the worse. I only listen to "Ego".

13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I know there’s an answer is a lot like I’m waiting for the day I think these are the two weak songs of the album - it’s all right. Nothing special about it but it fits the album

14. Wata

Your ratings for I Know There's an Answer:
    1-0 vote
    2-1 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-2 votes
    5-3 votes

15. Wata

Today's song is Here Today:

16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Here Today 4/5.. the symphonic, dramatic break was featured on the video An American Band that I watched over and over back in the 80s...this is made me think of the album as a whole in the that light. Still love it

17. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I'd have given it a 5/5 as well. For some reason it has always been one of my favourites from the album. Like others said, it's so inventive.

18. EdogawaRampo

Another favourite, another 5/5.

pablo fanques and Will Harris like this.
  19. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I Know There's an Answer is a second tier 5/5. I don't have a problem with the lyrics, but I prefer the original chorus more and I htink it makes more sense, both within the song and as part of the album.

Here Today is one of the monumental Beach Boys songs, for me, probably in the Top 5. Resounding, gigantic, overwhelming 5/5 for the instrumental break alone. This song is just awesome, it makes my jaw drop.

It's a bit pessimistic, and maybe the lyric is just a tad trite; but the music moves mountains.

Will Harris, Uncle Ernie and Rock66 like this.
  20. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I give Here Today 5/5. It is a song that I can relate to, even though I know it is Brian relating his thoughts. Lance LaSalle said it well when he said:

Will Harris and Uncle Ernie like this.
  21. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

To my ears, Here Today could have been a successful single. A radio-friendly uptempo tune with an assured Mike Love vocal and some effectively snarky sing-along lyrics. But it’s no fluff piece. The prominent bass line provides a great counter point melody to the lead vocal; the stop-and-go horns followed by the the amusement park vibe of the organ in the middle section musically echo the roller coaster relationship described in the lyrics; the relationship tension is further underscored by the contrast between the descending horns and ascending background vocals during the choruses and the way the bass slowly builds and then suddenly releases in a cascade of notes just prior to the choruses. Another ingenious arrangement that has remained fresh—for me at least—over the course of many years and innumerable listens. 5/5.

22. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

God Only Knows. strong 5/5. Great great song, one of my favorite Beach Boys songs. the melody is exquisite, and a great arrangement on the instruments. I love how the lyrics go to the heart of some of the contradictions of being in love.

I Know There's an Answer. 3/5. Kind of meanders and does little for me. I'm tempted to give it a 2, but its bit of cleverness helps.

Here Today. 3/5. Another underwhelming entry on this for me rather uneven album.

23. EdogawaRampo

Bobby Vee and Leon Russell thought Here Today was worth a single release. Stiffed, but interesting they did it none the less:

Wata and Uncle Ernie like this.
  24. oldsurferdude

Least favorite (if that's possible) on the album. Would have been better to let Al sing this instead of someone who had to strain like hell to hit the high notes.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Here Today - barn burner 5/5

pablo fanques and Will Harris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.