Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Today's song is Pet Sounds:

oldsurferdude likes this.
  2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Pet Sounds -- 5/5. Groovy sexy sounds.

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

10/10

My favorite song on the album! A treat for the ears.

Will Harris and oldsurferdude like this.
  4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Pet Sounds- just out of this world cool especially for 1966... again, who else would do this?4/5

oldsurferdude and Lance LaSalle like this.
  5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I love the double breakdown at 1:23 and then 1:35. Who does that?

6. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Always look forward to this coming down the grooves. Spectacular instrumental with all the stops pulled out and sounds as fresh today as it did upon release. I often wondered if Tony or Brian attempted to put lyrics to it. Difficult to understand why the James Bond people never picked up on this as it would have been a perfect fit. The stereo treatment really opened this piece up. An incredible 5.

7. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

The theriman gives the song a slitghtly unhinged feel just like Brian . I just wasn’t made for these times.... love it. Neither am I 5/5

oldsurferdude and pablo fanques like this.
  8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

5/5

Unique. Sounds like nothing else I can think of -- although I sometimes get a Martin Denny exotica vibe on this and on Diamond Head.

Pet Sounds
    is a sonic treat every time.

oldsurferdude and Will Harris like this.
  9. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Pet Sounds, the song, is a groovy little instrumental. 4/5

10. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

The extended live versions on Live At The Roxy and the Pet Sounds Live album are a lot of fun. And a great showcase for Brian's band

11. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

5/5 One of the best BB instrumentals.

12. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I'm glad Aftermath said it was his favorite song on the album. "Pet Sounds" is in my top 5, but it's difficult to say an instrumental is the best with all the great vocals on this album. I've grown to love it so much over the years.
    The stereo mix made me love it even more.

I have a deep love for organs and guitars feed thru Leslie Speaker cabinets that goes back to the late sixties when I got to play a B3 using one. The session notes seem to be saying the bongos were also feed thru the Leslie. I'd say
    it's bongos and the Coca-Cola cans creating the "double breakdown" that Dr. J. is referring to. Wound have to check the notes again to see who was playing the percussion stuff.

I was familiar with Exotica music in 1966. Some Roger Corman movies had scores by Les Baxter, and he did some of the incidental music in a few of the Beach Party films. Brian might have met him during his time working on
    them. He did name check him in his recent book.

"Pet Sounds" was recorded 17 November 1965, with some overdubs added later. That puts it early in the sessions for the album. Brian plays the piano. Carol and Lyle on basses, and those wonderful guitars by Billy Strange, Jerry
    Cole and Tommy Tedesco. Nick Walusko did a great job recreating the guitar sounds on the Pet Sounds live show all by himself!

Got to be another 5/5.

13. Wata

Pet Sounds the instrumental is very cool, and breaks the tension of the album for a while, in a very good and lovely way. 5/5.

14. Wata

Your ratings for the song Pet Sounds:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-2 votes
    5-7 votes

15. Wata

Today's song is Caroline, No:

16. Lance LaSalle

5/5
    As instrumentalists, I wonder if it's fair to say that Brian's backing band, at least at their peak, say, in 2000-2009 or so, were the equal to the Wrecking Crew? Of course their voices don't sound as good as the Beach Boys, but I really think they are a fantastic band of instrumentalists, technically proficient not only in covering the old songs, but their playing on the new songs seems much the same as the Wrecking Crew of old. I know that they have a little more say in arrangements than the Wrecking Crew did in the sixties, but they also understand intuitively what Brian likes due to playing so many of his songs.

17. Lance LaSalle

"Caroline No", 5/5. The backing track recalls a rainy day to me; (and he didn't overemphasize that as he did on "Summer's Gone" on That's Why God Made the Radio.) and the song is perfect rainy day music.

Here I think is the most direct lyric on the album in terms of delivering its themes with clarity: lost innocence, the end of love; Caroline's haircut reflecting not only a new look but a new reality, an independence: sorrow at the end of innocence even as the culture itself lost its innocence, even as rock and roll came of age. One of th

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Caroline No, How could it not be a 5/5?

Again, touching, wonderful...and the perfect song to close the album.

19. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

5/5. The barking dog at the end with the train going by was the perfect ending, like the piano chord at the end of the Beatles "A Day in The Life". We finally get a Beach Boys album without a clunker.

20. oldsurferdude

Oh, man, where to start with this. If Caroline, No doesn't emotionally drain you, what does? It stands right up there with the most beautiful melodies Brian has ever written. But it's like taking a small bite of the brownie because you want more and even more after that. I always felt the song lacked a middle instrumental section if only to stretch the song out a bit instead of being as short as it was. Of course it's a five just for being hauntingly gorgeous.

21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Caroline No 4/5...

22. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Old topic of discussion among Beach Boys fans that I don't agree with. They had many wonderful closers. "And Your Dream Comes True" and "Barbara Ann" (a Hit, even if your name is Andrew Doe) from just the last two. My name is Will, I love it! How about "Finders Keepers", "Custom Machine", "Don't Back Down"? And going forward: "Whistle In" - one of my very favorites from that album, I personally love "Transcendental Meditation". "Cabinessence" - can't ask for better than that. "Cool, Cool Water", Surf's Up", "Cuddle Up"... I could go on. "Just Once In my Life" is one of the best tracks on 15 Big Ones. Really it's just four or five that are truly weak closers. I like "Mama Said", you don't?

Anyway, "Caroline, No" - Not in my top 5 on this album, but a 5/5. It was the best pick to close Pet Sounds - at least you like that one. But oh no, that's all the time I've got to promote today. It's Thanksgiving land in America today. Bird is in the oven, football games have started. I'll be the one who's stuffed by the end of the day.

23. oldsurferdude

Good post, Will, and agree with most of your closers. Hate to, but gotta side with agdster on "Babso Ann". And yes, "JOIML" is an incredible cover and closing of the album.

Will Harris likes this.
  24. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Caroline YES. 5/5

Perfect summation

Jermaine Asante likes this.
  25. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Pet Sounds"
    Quirky instrumental, but not too interesting.
    3/5

"Caroline No"
    Murry telling Brian to speed up the tape for a slight chipmunk effect worked well. It's a great Wilson/Asher co-write, that they only matched in quality with "You Still Believe In Me". So, their working together wasn't as fruitful as the Wilson/Love partnership. It was a good experiment, but not a partnership that produced the type of peak level Beach Boys that Wilson/Love had been producing from 1962-65.

5/5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.