Discwasher D4 vintage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rose River Bear, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

So, are you guys who use vacuum cleaning machines saying you don't do anything else to a record prior to play? In other words, you clean the record on a machine, put it into a sleeve/jacket, and, forevermore, just take it out, plop it onto the platter, and play it? No dusting?

That's what it sounds like you are saying since you seem to be comparing the Discwasher to those machines like it's either or.

Doug

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree. I think it is not an either/or proposition. They do different things. The Discwasher brush is very effective at lifting loose dust from a record. I've checked this very carefully with a magnifying glass, and it does not simply "line up" the dust as some have suggested. I wonder whether they might be using the brush incorrectly, or perhaps running a dry brush over a static charged record? In any event, when used with a liquid in accordance with instructions, it picks up loose dust both on the surface and in the grooves. Remember that the bristles of a discwasher brush are actually finer than, for example, the VPI brush, so it actually should get a bit deeper in the microgroove. However, Discwasher certainly can't clean oil from a record, or loosen particles that have affixed to the groove. For that, a wet cleaning machine can do the job. Of course, the wet cleaning machine ALSO picks up loose dust, so if you are wet cleaning our records every single time you play a record, than perhaps you don't need the Discwasher. However, I don't like to clean my records too often, and prefer to run the damp Discwasher brush over the record.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'll clean a USED record when I first get it. Otherwise, I won't even clean a record except to use the D4 for a dusting, which it's better at than any other kind of brush I've used.

4. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Still using mine, over 30 years later. Works great.

I picked up a newer one for my daughter a couple of years ago. As soon as I got a closer look, it went straight in the trash where it belongs.

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah. Who in the world bought the rights to the Discwasher name and then used it to sell corduroy as a record cleaner? it's inexcusable. Of course, it's better than what this stoner does, which is make his own solution out of tap water and detergent and then wipe the record with a cloth diaper! Scares me that some young people are probably watching his videos and ruining their vinyl.

6. RobHolt

RobHolt Forum Resident

This thread has been quite enlightening as I would have just bought the new brown cloth brush assuming it performed the same function as the old one.
    As I use my old D3 brush on the wet cleaning machine I just grabbed another boxed oldie on eBay for £10 to use for giving the discs a quick clean prior to play.

7. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

You only use the brush just prior to playing a disc IF it has some visible lint on it. Otherwise I don't touch mine before playing. All my lps have clean paper sleeves.

8. RobHolt

RobHolt Forum Resident

Sound advice Jim, though my TT doesn't have a cover so records will attract dust while playing.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Really? Mine always seem to pick up some lint/dust from somewhere. I always give them a quick brush.

Doug G. likes this.
  10. I used to use this thing when I was younger. I now know better. I wouldn't give one of these to my worst enemy. Get a tonar or audioquest antistatic brush to remove dust. To remove dirt, use a real record cleaner like a VPI, Nitty Gritty, or Okki Nokki. If you are on a serious budget, I have heard that the spin clean yields satisfactory results. Either way, if you use the D4 with fluid and think you are effectively cleaning your records, you are sadly mistaken. All you are doing is moving around the dirt. It may look clean, but it isn't.

11. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

So, in other words, you are insulting all of us who believe the Discwasher brush to be the superior way of removing dust from a record prior to play.

You're wrong anyway.

Thanks.

Doug

12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I have a VPI 16.5 but use a carbon fiber brush to dust my records before each play in a never ending battle against cat hair.

And I still use my Discwasher brush, just in a different application.

macster likes this.
  13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My main table, a Yamaha P550 doesn't have a cover. It was a poor design for a heavy lid and very bad hinging. I took my lid off for playing discs anyway as it just catches more room sound pressure that can get into the plinth. Every couple of months I clean the plinth and rinse off my platter mat with purified water.

I just put an over-sized towel over it when not in use to catch some of the dust. I'll be darned if some doesn't get in there anyway.

14. RobHolt

RobHolt Forum Resident

True, but to be fair that's not the reason to use this brush.
    The brush with a very light application of fluid to lightly damp the fibres is intended to lift and hold loose debris such as dust.
    It isn't an alternative to properly cleaning your records.

15. RobHolt

RobHolt Forum Resident

My ebay purchase D3 set turned up today.
    Looks unused!
    Even has a full bottle of D3 fluid.

The little brown booklet is dated 1978 and the brush is the first type (no red backing).

16. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Huh? No way. I can SEE the dust the discwasher picks up (which I have to then remove from the brush with a backwards sweep on my shirt!). Yes, I have no doubt a spin on a VPI will clean it more thoroughly, but for a quick brush I'm positive the discwasher brush does what it's meant to do - remove most of the surface dust from an LP. I've had several other brushes (including the modern carbon fiber brushes) and those just push the dirt around. The discwasher lifts it off.

18. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

I pick up these brushes every time I come across them. I have close to 10 of them now including the full kit with the stylus cleaner and record demagnetizing gun. I use these in conjunction with my Nitty Gritty love the nostalgia and they do work well.

sberger likes this.
  19. uploadfromtaptalk1373156901687.jpg

20. Look at the corduroy brush with a high powered magnifying glass. The fibres in each 'line' stick straight out and hopefully reach into the grooves.

21. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

The original Discwasher brush is awesome for doing cleanup before playing any LP I have.

Several passes, then use an anti-static gun before playing is resulting in some amazingly quiet playback...like a CD...but better...:D

22. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Even if you use a VPI or any other record cleaning machine, you're still gonna get some dust on records again. Records just have a bad habit of attracting dust period. For records I have previously wet vacuumed cleaned I'll use a carbon fiber brush to get any dust all centralized then take my In The Groove record cleaner and with a quick swipe or two the dust is gone.

23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Pretty neat to see the Canadian version with bilingual labeling!

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I use the old Discwasher brush dry, but also breath heavily on the rotating record as I use the brush to get a little minimal moisture/humidity onto the surface. This technique neutralizes static electricity and the brush picks up dust even better. Works great - best surface brush I've encountered, and the only cleaning I've needed on the new LPs I've bought.

25. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Forum Resident

I have the DiscWasher kit with the brush pad and the stylus brush that I bought on an auction site used and it is imaculate in every way but the folding stylus brush has lost the tiny round magnified mirror that is for stylus inspection, it is counter sunk where it glued into the back of the handle and it measured 9/16 inch across. I'd be happy just to find a flat nonmagnified 9/16" mirror to glue into place just to make it hole again since it now has the missing tooth look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.