Disney & Marvel End Pact on Spiderman

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

From today's Deadline Hollywood:

[​IMG]

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Manfilms because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

This comes at a moment when the last two films Kevin Feige produced broke all-time records — Disney’s Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film of all time, and Spider-Man: Far From Home this week surpassed the James Bond film Skyfall to become the all time highest grossing film for Sony Pictures.

Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works that are meant to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center. Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won’t be the lead creative producer of those pictures.

There is a lot of webbing here, but it all comes down to money, and it’s easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don’t believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise. Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn’t want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who's being greedy here? Disney/Marvel or Sony? Is this gonna kill the franchise? Is Sony killing the goose that laid the golden spider-egg? All good questions, but I think things are F'd up in Hollywoo.

More stories:

TheWrap: 'Spider-Man' Crisis: Marvel-Sony Partnership Collapses

Variety: Spider-Man Could Leave MCU if Disney, Sony Can’t Reach Financing Deal

Hollywood Reporter: Sony, Marvel to Split on Future 'Spider-Man' Releases

Indiewire: Spider-Man Leaves the MCU as Disney and Marvel Studios Fail to Reach New Deal With Sony

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. Vidiot

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Shutting down the money printing machine because they can't agree on who gets how much?

Idiots.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

My late mother would have described the Spider-Man franchise as "snake-bit." So this seems to be the third time that an attempt to strike - and sustain - cinematic gold with Spider-Man is going to blow up. This is tragic because in a Marvel-world where most of the superheros need to team up to be truly spectacular, Spider-Man is one character who could really carry the day all by himself, but the ship keeps running aground.

melstapler, Murph, Old Rusty and 3 others like this.
  5. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

That Sony statement carefully avoids saying "We're done with Disney" or "done with the MCU" or the like. It emphasizes that the big idea is Feige no longer producing, rather than Disney being gone entirely.

PR spin or the honest truth? It looks like the former, but only time will tell.

coffeetime likes this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Sad to hear.

50/50 might have been asking too much from Disney.

Sony was pleased with Venom profits.

melstapler and McLover like this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Spider-Man not being able to appear in Avengers or whatever future team-up movies Marvel has planned is one thing... but the solo Tom Holland Spider-Man movies thus far have also been pretty heavily tied in to the rest of the MCU. New movies can probably work without that but it’s not going to be coherent as an overall series if that connection vanishes from future instalments... coherence may not be important to other manufacturers of movie franchises but it was to Marvel.

Chrome_Head and MPLRecords like this.
  8. Disney got greedy demanding a 50/50 split. They were setting Spidey up as the face of their next phase and thought Sony would be desperate enough to play ball.

kwadguy, eddiel and IronWaffle like this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can’t think of better news than “less ‘Spiderman’ movies.”

10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The Raimi trilogy is still definitive for me (yeah, even Spider-Man 3; up until the last reel, it works like gangbusters!)... so meh on this...

11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

So does Sony hold in perpetuity the movie rights to Spider-Man, or do they revert back to Marvel/Disney at some point?

melstapler likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This! :cheers:

13. alexpop

Spider Man 3 is my favorite.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It's great that Sony stands up to Disney.
    If Disney had big plans for Spiderman in the next phase they shouldn't be so greedy.

melstapler and McLover like this.
  15. Vidiot

I think they have a deal like Universal, in that as long as they do a movie every 7 years, they get to keep the rights. The rights can lapse: for example, they had the rights to Prince Namor, The Submariner, but I think those lapsed because the projects kept going in and out of development hell.

This is a pretty extraordinary quote from the Deadline story:

After all, Feige’s first decade at Marvel is largely unblemished and his consistency has been nothing short of historic: even George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson haven’t seen everything turn into a hit, and so maybe only James Cameron has the success record that Feige has achieved. But Feige has done it all in the last 10 years, producing and overseeing 23 superheros, with not a flop in the bunch. They’ve all been number one openers that have collectively grossed $26.8 billion. Feige this year became the producer of the top grossing film ever for two studios — Sony and Disney — and he produced three of the top four highest grossing films this year in Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel and Spider-Man: Far From Home. This after scoring the first ever Best Picture Oscar nom for a superhero film last year with Black Panther. I can’t think of a Hollywood producer/executive who has done anything close to this.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

So, no Nick Fury, Happy Hogan or even Pepper Pott's cameos in future Spider Man films?

melstapler likes this.
  17. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The 2 Spider-Man reboot movies with Andrew Garfield were poor, with the second one being possibility the worst super hero movie ever, so I don't have high hopes for future efforts without Marvel.

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Just another reason for me to get off the MCU train now before it derails.

19. alexpop

Not looking good the next few years. Projected film releases.

20. Vidiot

I think just about everybody is in agreement that the Tom Holland films were much better-reviewed and made a ton of money, and that's a rare combination. I think Sony can do one but not the other, and they're gonna be in a world of hurt trying to make a go of this completely alone without the Marvel universe to accompany the character. I don't know enough about the details to say who's being more "piggish" about this, but it seems to me that Disney tried to renegotiate their deal to give them an equal share in the profits (and a share in the expenses as well), and Sony didn't want to compromise one bit. Generally, when this kind of thing happens, both companies wind up getting hurt. Nobody wins, especially the audience.

Chrome_Head, IronWaffle and eddiel like this.
  21. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Disney was also going to provide 50% of the financing.

David Campbell likes this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I am pretty sure Sony are bluffing and will come to a deal with Disney in the next few months. That is why the statements are written that way, they are not burning any bridges.

This is just a poker game. Tom Holland will be back in the MCU.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Spider-Man / Venom, I can see it now.

drh likes this.
  24. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I thought that the Andrew Garfield version had the better look to Spiderman. Body mechanics & costume texturing were both more organic. The Tom Holland nano-technology version seemed to lose a lot of the classic comic book vibe, imo.

And I was always kinda creeped out by how Tony Stark seemed to hang-out with Peter Parker just to cozy-up to his hot Aunt May.

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The initial reaction seemed to be SONY WHY but it looks like it's more a Disney problem now.

Don't you make enough money already, mouse?? I suppose in terms of fairness it did feel like Marvel was doing all the heavy lifting on these last two movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.