Disney/Pixar's "Inside Out"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The volcano thing was similar to the movie to me. Looked pretty, was kind of interesting, maybe went on a bit too long, wasn't very funny.

2. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Am I the only one that doesn't look at Pixar films as "kids movies"? They're just animated movies. That doesn't make them kids movies. They are, however, kid-friendly movies.

I thought it was incredible. I rank it with Wall-E, Toy Story, and Up. Beautifully done and very emotional - much more so than most filmed movies.

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I thought it was amazing--a great script, incredibly imaginative. Maybe my favorite Pixar.

I hate the fact that since it "wasn't #1" that is all some people will fixate on. If that's all that matters I guess we can look forward to a lot more "Fast & Furious" installments. And people worrying it "wasn't funny enough"? Hey, bring back Tow Mater I guess.

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

There actually is a Cars 3 in the pipeline. :sigh:

5. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Well do you have kids? The only reason I went to see the movie this weekend is because I do.

And yeah this movie was similar actually to Wall-E and Up (but not at all like Toy Story). Wall-E and Up were good movies but with really kind of mature themes. What saved Up though was that the kid in it was funny and the talking dogs were great. Wall-E... my kids weren't very excited by it but then again maybe they were too young. I thought it was cool if perhaps a bit too heavy for kids.

I thought it was an imaginative concept but kind of lacked in entertainment value. I mean... yeah if you are into "animated movies" as an adult then it was probably fairly decent. But it wasn't the type of movie where you could pick out several scenes to replay in your head or discussion about how great they were, you know? And it was kind of not funny enough to make the kids LOVE it. They liked it. The kids around us liked it.

But it wasn't Toy Story. Or the Incredibles. Those are movies that are the complete package to me. And even though people hate it because of all the merchandising and whatnot the original Cars movie was really well done too. As far as kids movies I mean. Cars 2 was a nightmare of course.

It did incredibly well at the box office though. So Pixar cultists don't fret! They're back.

guy incognito, Vidiot and PROG U.K. like this.
  6. I took my kids to this on Sat.- enjoyed it. Solid entertainment - I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of Pixar's oeuvre - below Toy Story, the Incredibles and Ratatouille but over and above Up, Wall-E, Monsters U.... Very good attentive audience - the kids liked it. I think the best thing about it is that it was told from a girl's point of view- in spite of Frozen et al - I still don't think there are enough kids' movies with girls as the central character.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Did you watch the first 10 minutes of Up? That was Old Yeller territory for me.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Question: why did Riley have a team of male and female emotions, while everybody else (I think) had teams who were all the same gender?

9. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Saw it with my Mom (her therapist recommended it :whistle:)wife and 3 kids ages 3/8/10.

The kids liked it, seemed to understand the concept better than I anticipated. My wife was teary eyed. I just didn't feel like the characters were sufficiently developed nor did I feel invested in their "issues". The CGI was very good. Didn't find it that funny.
    I would give it a C+.

My Pixar rankings below:

1. Finding Nemo
    2. The Incredibles
    3. Ratatouille
    4. WALL-E
    5. Toy Story 3
    6. A Bug's Life
    7. Brave
    8. Monsters, Inc.
    9. Toy Story
    10. Toy Story 2
    11. Inside Out
    12. Up
    13. Monsters University
    14. Cars
    15. Cars 2

10. I think it was some kind of comment on the nature of pre-pubescence. I'm not sure that theory holds up to much scrutiny though... :)

11. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I do have kids, but I'd have seen it either way. I saw most of the Pixar films released before 2005 without kids.

Sorry, I didn't mean it was like Toy Story, only that I hold it in the same regard as TS and the others I mentioned.

Cars was fine, it just wasn't hitting on all cylinders like Pixar had been - the story was thin and light. But it was fun. I don't mind Cars. This is one I'll say is really more a "kids movie" than anything else. As you note, Cars 2 was a "nightmare." Almost complete garbage. It felt tired immediately, it was very slow, and it really wasn't all that fun.

ampmods likes this.
  12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Cars wasn't bad but Cars2 was worst.

ampmods likes this.
  13. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I think that is everyone's feelings- I can't find anyone who likes it. The absolute worst moment in a Pixar movie is the scene where Tow Mater gratuitously turns into about 5 different versions of himself-it was the most naked attempt to make a series of toys I've ever seen in a movie.

14. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I LOVED this movie. I actually think it was one of the funniest PIXAR movies ever. I was laughing all through until towards the end, then it got a bit more serious.

You really haven't seen a PIXAR movie until you've seen it in a Bay Area theater, in my opinion. Every one has some reference to the area; of course, this one was chock full of them. Easily, the biggest laugh the movie got from my audience was Anger saying, "Good going, San Francisco, you've ruined pizza!" Haha It was just too real.

15. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing! Every time they showed another character's emotions, I was looking and noticing they were all gender-matched (like you, I will qualify with, "I think." I could have overlooked one).

With the intense level of scrutiny every aspect of this story must have gone through at Pixar over the past few years, this fact must have come up...

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

No to veer too far off-topic but... I am not a big fan of "Cars", but have much more appreciation for it having watched/heard the John Lassiter commentary. There's a bonus feature function on the blu-ray (and dvd?) that intercuts some "making of" segments with the actual movie. I enjoy watching the disc this way.

17. chodad

chodad Hodad

Great movie. Inventive, funny and touching.

18. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Sir, I'm detecting high levels of sass!

Maybe as the kiddies grow up their emotions change and become more gender-specific. Or maybe the writers thought that the story worked better when the girl had emotions of different genders and the other characters had emotions of the same gender. Or maybe I should rethink why the hell I am using the phrase "emotions of the same gender" at all. o_O

--Geoff

minerwerks likes this.
  19. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

:D
    Not to imply this was something overlooked, I was merely suggesting they probably had an answer for this, if anyone should ask them in an interview (or on a commentary track).

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, I can't make it through the first 10 minutes without bawling like a baby. That might be the saddest, most heart-wrenching animated scene ever, next to the scene in Dumbo where the caged elephant mother reassures her child.

Don't get me stahted! :realmad:

forthlin and guy incognito like this.
  21. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Really liked Inside Out. One of Pixar's best.

Great Pixar movies imho:
    Inside Out, Toy Story trilogy, Monsters, Inc, Finding Nemo, the Incredibles, Up, Brave

Good Pixars:
    A Bug's Life, Cars, Ratatouille, WALL-E

So-so Pixars:
    Cars2, Monsters University

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

not to mention the fact that, for reasons yet to be explained, :nyah: the Cars are able to talk!

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That was a thing of beauty. The rest of Up didn't resonate with me. I was planning to take my kid to Inside Out, but my ex beat me to it thanks to the unfair custody arrangement. I'll get IO for my kid when it comes out on blu-ray.

I generally love Pixar movies and agree that many of the animated characters are better actors than 90% of "real" Hollywood actors. Toy Story III, Wall-E, Ratatouille and Monsters Inc are my favorites.

24. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

25. I will add that too many Pixar movies are little half-baked IMO. They start out promising but then devolve in boring action sequences (see Wall-E, Up, and to a much lesser extent Inside Out). The Incredibles had really clever action sequences and Ratatouille kept the character development going up until the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.