Disney to buy out George Lucas for $4B

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That probably means he'll make his Star Wars "too much like Star Trek" :p

Anyway, getting over the initial shock that was the news that the prequels were not enough and there's gonna be yet more Star Wars, I've come to the conclusion that, as a fan from the beginning, it's best I just let it go. I don't want to go through the disappointment of the prequels all over again. These Star Wars are not my Star Wars.

There. Now there is balance in the force :pleased:

2. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Yes, I know. Wouldn't surprise me if they line up Gore Verbinski for Ep. 8 and Whedon for Ep. 9.

But, please, no Michael Bay.

3. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

You're only disappointed with them because you want to be. Enjoy them for what they are. No Star Wars will ever be "your Star Wars" except the originals.

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Nope. I was disappointed in them because I thought I would like them and didn't (except for the 3rd); what they are didn't give me much enjoyment.
    As for your second statement, yeah, that's what I said.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Does this mean you won't see the three new episodes?

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I feel mildly uneasy about the same man being behind both Star Trek and Star Wars film franchises....kinda like intergalactic incest....but I'll give it a chance. Not that keen on the visual stylings of Abrams Trek and Super 8, so hoping this cat has some other tricks up his sleeve.

7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Not necessarily; it simply means that I personally consider Star Wars over and done. If I end up watching any of the new ones I want it to be because what I see or hear from them excites me enough to want to watch them, as opposed to going to the theatre by default because they come under the Star Wars banner.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The guy who I bet really wants to make a Star Wars film is Robert Rodriguez (Desperado, Spy Kids, etc.). He's a huge fan -- but he'd have to re-join the Director's Guild, from which he resigned about eight years ago over a disagreement on Sin City.

I don't think it's that cut and dried. People have the right to be disappointed with something, and I don't know of many who want to be disappointed. I can't find a published critic who wasn't disappointed with the three Star Wars prequels.

Roger Ebert said it very well when he said, "I can take any of the first couple of Star Wars 1970s films and give you a dozen great, memorable lines of dialogue from them. I don't think anybody can do this from Episodes 1, 2, or 3." I think he has a good point.

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Nostalgia is very powerful.

10. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

When it comes to reading about people wanting Whedon to direct a Stars Wars film I always remember back to the scene from Buffy season 7 when Andrew is tied to a chair and he says "I'm bored, Episode 1 bored."

progrocker71 likes this.
  11. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Never thought about that but now you mention it he's spot on.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

14. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I'd be surprised if he's allowed (or wants) to take the visual look in a different direction than the previous movies. But then Lucas himself didn't exactly stay faithful to the original movies with most of the action sequences in the prequal trilogy so who knows.

15. Daniel Plainview

16. Daniel Plainview

And I was looking forward to Padme's boobies in 3-D.

"HONK HONK!"

"SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

At least you got to be drunk on the SH Forums instead. ;)

18. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thanks to Lucas' fiddling, even those aren't wholly "his Star Wars" anymore!

You feel Luke(and Leia)warm about it? :winkgrin: But seriously, I agree.

My hunch is that Whedon would make a good movie of Star Wars, but I'm not at all sure he'd be motivated to make one in this post-prequels era especially if he's not given a free hand with Lucas possibly still laying the outlines in some manner.

Most of all I'm just kind of disappointed Disney's address book was that tiny.

"Who is going to make our Star Wars movie for us if Lucas isn't? Who is doing the biggest Scifi movies now?"

"JJ Abrahms. He's making the movies for the other big brand. Star Trek."

"We'll approach him. Do you think he'll do it?"

"Actually, JJ Abrahms said he was interested in Star Wars instead of Star Trek while doing Star Trek."

"Wow what a lucky coincidence for us!"

Maybe it'll end up good but if so by a sort of happy accident in a default process amongst a business elite, not from the sort of inspiration process that created Star Wars to begin with. Ah well...

19. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Well I hear they've settled on a title. Since Vader's making a comeback I can officially announce: Star Wars VII: The Search For Vader. A new post-Jedi scene shows the burnt carcus being despatched to a lone, life-giving planet to the wails of Amazing Grace.

20. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Industry sources tell me Chris Pine's Kirk is to be making a cameo and will be delivering the immortal lines: "Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

21. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

Just thinking about the whole Star Wars thing: I read that the new movies will be new stories. Is that true? They won't be continuing where Jedi left off.
    So, if they are new stories, why keep the "Episode VII" title?

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Three trilogies was always the plan. We got IV, V, and VI first. Then the dreaded I, II, and III (dreaded by most - I like 'em). So why not VII, VIII, and IX?

And why do any of the Luke/Leia era need to be alive? I envision descendants of them perhaps, but in my mind I always thought it would be set in the far future from the classic STAR WARS era. If anything should be consistent, it should only be R2-D2 and C3PO and their adventures with new masters.

Harry

23. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

I know that 3 trilogies was always the plan. But that plan always included the people from episode 6. It doesn't really make sense to call a brand new story and characters episode 7. If it's continuing with the story lines of who/what happened in 6, then sure, but it sounds like it's starting fresh. Brand new story/characters = Episode 7?? It's supposedly starting new. I suppose it doesn't really matter. What Abrams does can't be worse than 1,2, and 3. It'll just be interesting to me to see if I'm really over Star Wars or if I can still be into it all.

24. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I thought the standard line was that R2D2 and C3P0 are the common characters in all of the films. So if they're in it, it makes sense to me.

25. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

Are they in the new episode? I've read that it's going to be all new story/characters. Hell, I don't care what it's called if it's good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.