Disney Treasures DVD collections

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by floyd, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

Another one I'll have to grab. The one with the animation. I wish
    Warner Brothers would put out a Chuck Jones collection.

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Wow I'm really surprised to see what Mickey Mouse In Living Color is going for on eBay!! Makes me doubly glad that I bought those when they first came out in 2001. I got all of the current ones that were released last December. All of them are great but my favorite is the Behind The Scenes At the Disney Studio. I hadn't seen "The Reluctant Dragon" in years and it's great to see it available on DVD as part of that disc. I hope the next things' they put out are a Donald Duck set and one with more of Disney's Oscar winning shorts from the 30's through the 60's would be excellent!!!:)

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

4. floyd

Thanks Steve, I saw several of those at the store this past weekend I'll pick that one up tomarrow too.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

You'll love it! Grab it up!!! the ebayers are scoffing them up like crazy...

6. ze-ant

ze-ant Forum Resident

Thank you Floyd for starting this thread.

I was able to get a copy of MMiLC, MMiB&W and Silly Symphonies at a local store I frequent and also placed an order for Behind the Scenes.

I know that my wife (whose a big MM fan) and my kids are going to love them!

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The one about the park is called "Disneyland USA". The one about the animation studio is "Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio".

Regards,

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

mcow wrote: The Disney I'm wanting is "The Scarecrow". Anybody else remember it? [/QUOTE]

doesn't look like anytime soon. check e-bay if you're de$perate for a VHS

Scarecrow (or Dr. Syn)

9. RDK

RDK Active Member

Rumor has it that if "Song of the South" is ever released it'll come out in this tin-packaged series.

But let's not start up that ol' debate again! ;)

10. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I suspected that, since Maltin gives a spiel prior to all the non-PC shorts on the Mickey and Goofy discs. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I well remember watching The Scarecrow on the Disney show way back when! Those masks were pretty scary to an 8-year-old.

I have 3 or 4 different box sets of Disney music, the "Scarecrow" theme is on one of them. Good for a Halloween mix tape/CD-r.

12. floyd

well this morning i went to sams club where on the weekend i saw about 8 copies of "behind the scenes" and a "goofy" but they were all gone. I asked a clerk and she said all sams clubs had to return them as they only had a certian time to sell them. Damn. :realmad:

But I went searching and found used a "Mickey in B&W" and a behind the scenes and a new Complete Goofy so I'm happy. I also came accross a new "Disneyland" which I was very tempted (any comments on this one)
    but I have to watch the cash and most of all I want MMiLC and Silly Symphonies. :)

13. stereoptic

I haven't seen them in Sam's Club in weeks. SHucks! I should have picked up the SIlly Symphonies!

14. floyd

I talked to someone at Disney online and they said there would be a "wave two" of these in about a month, this will be all new titles none of the previous ones.
    She also told me the last ones sold very fast, she said Davy Crocket sold the fastest that surprised me.

I've watched some of behind the scenes at disney studios and it is very good, the animation is really fantastic.

15. I have the Mickey colour, Silly Symphonies, and the recent Mickie B+W. Too bad they didn't give us all the Mickey black and whites, like the laser disc set did in the mid 1990s. I have several of the cartoons from that laser disc set dubbed onto VHS. Not all of them are on the DVD.

All of these DVDs are great. NOW, when is Warner going to finally release their Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons on DVD? I've heard rumours that it will be this year sometime. I can't wait.

16. floyd

I cant wait either. Did you see the documentry on Chuck Jones on PBS last year? It was great!!

The girl I talked to at the Disney online store said she got a memo on the upcomming Disney Treasures Releases but couldnt remember what they were. Has anyone heard?

17. Michael

Ditto! on the LT & MM...I wish for TOP CAT...

18. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I was pleasantly surprised by the Crockett DVD. I had never seen all of these shows and they were a great view for the family. :thumbsup:

19. Michael

I agree, they were quite enjoyable! I even had a coon skin cap when I was a kid...

20. stereoptic

It's out on DVD with the entire Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 century and Feed The Kitty. I understand though, that there was a mastering mistake and the picture size is reduced smaller than the normal letterbox - I forget the web site - one of those DVD reviews.

21. floyd

I think I'll pick this one up too. I see it now I'll have the whole set:thumbsup: I have 3 with the forth on the way and looking at least one more "silly symphonies" so why not the whole darn set:cool:

22. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Which Ones??? I Have the Laser & the DVD, & my DVD has EVERYTHING that was on the laser, including the extras, so I'm confused.

23. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I have the "Behind the Scenes" set and like it very much, though "The Reluctant Dragon" put me to sleep at one point ... probably a rough day at the office.:)

I rented one disc of the Disneyland set from Netflix, just to see the Louis Armstrong set. I'm tempted to buy the set just to get that performance. Terrific stuff. BTW, Netflix is a good way to check out these sets if you want to try before you buy. Of course, you might miss the chance to buy, depending on where the product is in Disney's cycle.

24. ze-ant

ze-ant Forum Resident

Check out this link, which should clear things up:-

http://dvdmg.com/mickeymouseinblackandwhite.shtml

"Some folks may wonder how this package compares to the Mickey Mouse: The Black and White Years laserdisc set. The DVD package includes all of the shorts from that box as well as one extra: “The Karnival Kid”. It replicates most of the LD’s supplements too. The two releases share the story sketches and story scripts as well as the “Mail Pilot” pencil test. The LD included “Parade of Award Nominees”, a short created for the 1932 Academy Awards. It doesn’t appear here since it already showed up on 2001’s Mickey Mouse In Living Color; that makes sense, since “Parade” offered Mickey’s first color cartoon. Finally, the LD set also provided a booklet with some brief but nice notes about each of the shorts as well as a general overview of Mickey’s early career and some cool archival images.

Though it’s a shame that booklet didn’t translate to the DVD release of Mickey Mouse In Black and White, given that this package retails for more than $90 less than the original price of the LD package and tosses in one extra short, I think I’ll live." [quoted from the same review]

25. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I have the Mickey in black and white and it is pretty cool. I have thought of picking up the complete Goofy. I wish I could find the Mickey in Living Color. Last time I checked the Disney website, it was sold out. They were all just 22 dollars there too. Mine was 30 at Best Buy. I hope they release more before next December. Warner Brothers please take notes as to the way Disney is doing these releases. The only thing I hate about Disney is the way they let things go OOP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.