Disney's Aladdin get's Lucased

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

From www.dvdreview.com:

If Disney decided to release one of their animated classics untampered with, it would be a red-letter event. Sadly that’s not the case as Buena Vista Home Entertainment releases an "enhanced" version of Aladdin this fall.
    Part of the Platinum Collection, the new Aladdin will updated as more than 20% of the original artwork has been enhanced, with some characters redrawn to add more facial detail, and backgrounds in many scenes have been touched up for color and detail..

2. Pinknik

Having thought about it, I guess I should be fair and admit that this is not as bad as a full on Lucas mauling. However, I still find it unnecessary to do this. Marketing, I suppose. Oh well.

3. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

As long as it's enhanced tastefully, I don't have a problem with it.

4. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

How is this different than when Zappa or ZZ Top would take a 20-year-old classic album and record new drums/bass and remix the album?

Same kind of tampering, and I don't like it.

5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Not to mention Ozzy Osbourne adding new bass and drums to his solo albums!

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Someone can correct me, but keep in mind that Beauty & The Beast and Lion King were similarly enhanced. They were re-released to a limited run at IMAX theaters, and from what I'd read, were enhanced to look better on the larger screen.

That makes me think Aladdin might be coming to IMAX. I don't keep up on Disney though.

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

As long as they dont change scenes and dialog, I don't get too upset. I still have my WS LD anyway! (although it's not THAT wide)

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ozzy is now in Aladdin?

9. -=Rudy=-

Yep. "I"m the f***in' genie of the f***in' lamp."

paulisdead likes this.
  10. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Damn it!!! When are they going to dig "The Scarecrow Of Romney Marsh" out of the vaults and put THAT on DVD???? I'll take it in either the movie cut or the series cut but DAMN give me something!!!! I'm tired of watching a crappy old copy taped off of cable.

Gene

11. Pinknik

Rudy, that actually makes a little more sense than enhancing it for the lower resolution small screen, where you'd think the 35mm original would have enough detail.

12. Michael St. Clair

Here's some of what changed in The Lion King:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/thelionking2.html

I really like the old crocs better, they are more stylized and were designed to be consistent with african folk art. The new ones are your basic cartooney disney animals.

If Aladdin is really 20% changed, that's a lot more than they changed in BatB and TLK.

Fortunately, the IMAX program lost money and has been canned. As a result, maybe we're starting to see the end of the changes. Yes, Aladdin was slated for IMAX and that's why the changes were made.

August 2004.

13. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Actually this isn't too surprising. Disney altered some of the lyrics to "Arabian Nights" the opening song to the film on the original home video release of "Aladdin".

Fortunately, the IMAX program lost money and has been canned. As a result, maybe we're starting to see the end of the changes. Yes, Aladdin was slated for IMAX and that's why the changes were made.

I guess that explains why Disney released The Lion King last fall instead of Aladdin which was originally scheduled to be released last year.

14. Michael St. Clair

Here is a more color accurate comparison.

Old crocs:

Attached Files:

15. Michael St. Clair

New crocs:

Attached Files:

16. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Really? August 2004 for "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh"? Cool!! I had heard that they were going to do that as one of their "Disney Treasures" srries but it never happened. I'll be happy to have it in any form!

17. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

When I saw The Lion King in Imax last years previews for Aladdin and was scheduled to open Christmas 2003. Disney opened The Black Stallion instead.

18. -=Rudy=-

"Aladdin" is probably only one of few of these modern Disney films that I still like. A shame it won't make it to IMAX now, since I didn't see the others.

Slightly O/T, but why is it that IMAX films can only run two hours? I heard of someone who went and saw Star Wars: Ep. II and said it was badly butchered.

19. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

Is the Scarecrow that one with (prepare for a memory meltdown here) Patrick McGooghan (? - wasn't he on a tv series called "The Prisoner"?) from the early sixties? That was SO cool....

20. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Nice one Steve!!

21. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

IMAX films can now run longer than 2 hours, ie. The Matrix Reloaded. The theaters needed an upgrade in equipment mainly larger platters to handle longer films which wasn't an inexpensive upgrade. The next Harry Potter film is scheduled to be releases day & date at IMAX with 35 mm theaters.
    Aladdin is still on the schedule to get an IMAX release sometime during 2004.

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It had to do with the reel sizes and the available hardware, but they addressed the issue sometime between the SW Ep. II IMAX release and The Matrix Reloaded IMAX release. It is no longer a limitation. Apollo 13 was shortened somewhat (and reformatted to a taller aspect ratio) for its IMAX release as well.

Regards,

23. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Is it possible to change the 'Edit' button in the Visual Arts to ¿Lucas-it'?

24. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Is the Platinum Collection DVD the indicator that a certain movie will be released in IMAX? If so, it's a safe bet we'll see "Aladdin" in October on the huge screen.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Not necessarily. I doubt we will see Bambi, Cinderella, 101 Dalmations, or The Jungle Book in the IMAX format, but they are eventually scheduled for Platinum Collection DVDs.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.