Disney's "Brother Bear"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

This is the second to last traditional hand drawn feature that Disney will make, and unfortunately it's getting some tepid reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/BrotherBear-1127071/

It opened this weekend. Anyone see it? The trailers with the Canadian moose are pretty funny I have to admit.

The final traditional animation feature from Disney is rumored to be in big trouble. No one involved seems to like it.
    Sickening to think that these to offers will mark the end of an amazing era in animation. :sigh:

Dan C

2. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I enjoyed it, but it certainly was no tour de force. A workmanlike Disney feature that does no embarrassment to the studio (aside from the usual trips through the political correctness machine).

It's really sad how they've run the traditional animation studio into the ground by trying to milk the cow until it bleeds. It seems to me that the mistake was trying to crank out a new one every year following the successes of LITTLE MERMAID, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, and ALADDIN. The LION KING continued the winning pattern, but the department seemed to lose the inspiration after its wonderful return to form. Too many balls up in the air at once, I believe, which made collaboration among the teams difficult if not impossible. The collaboration of so many talents was, in my opinion, what produced the second (or third) golden age of Disney animated features in the late '80s/early '90s. It's hard to believe that they've already killed the goose.

Oh, and the moose voices are performed by Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis, which may explain why they are catching everyone's fancy. Doug & Bob reborn!

Jay

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I went to see it at the Ziegfeld Theater in NYC during last week's opening run. Nice animation, but an overly familiar plot. And as Jay said above, politically correct to a fault. Not a lot here aimed at adults, outside of a few good jokes courtesy of the moose (mooses? meese?)

Serviceable songs by Phil Collins, although you just knew one would focus on the theme of "I'm on my way" (just like in Shrek and Ice Age).

Not bad, not a classic, just OK. I see it made $18 million in wide release this weekend, Disney sould be thrilled with that. It'll have the family market cornered until Elf opens this week, and The Cat in the Hat after that.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Luckily my daughter (age 7) will see this movie next week at a local kids "Go To The Movies Birthday Party".

Now at least I won't have to sit thru it! :D

Amazing that something as bland as Brother Bear comes out the same week Finding Nemo comes out on DVD.

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Pardon my ignorance at this, but is this Brother Bear any relation to the old Br'er Bear cartoons I used to read in the little Disney comic books when I was little?

I kind of grew tired of Disney's animations. Aladdin was a high point for me, and movies like Emperor's New Groove have their charm. But the others? Mulan to me was a dud, with only Eddie Murphy to rescue it. It got to the point where I was wondering which ethnic group they were going to exploit for their next animated feature. (He says half jokingly.)

I think Pixar's really onto something. I haven't seen Finding Nemo yet, but have heard how good it is. Pixar hasn't released a stinker yet.

6. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

None whatsoever. That's from the now buried SONG OF THE SOUTH, based on the Uncle Remus stories.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.