Disparity In Audio/Sonic Opinions. How can we calibrate?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Disparity In Audio/Sonic Opinion

For some time now I've noticed that there is a rather consistent disparity In Audio/Sonic opinion of some of the recordings we discuss in this group. I know that one of the ideas was to list our systems to give others an idea of "where we are coming from" but, that doesn't always jibe with the the comments made.

It would be interesting to set up an experiment with all those interested where all of us who have access to a couple of the same recordings (specially ones that there has been some disparity about in the past), sit down over a set period of time (maybe a week or two) and listen to the same cuts and describe the sonic faults and attributes that we hear. We could then compare notes and maybe learn a bit about our own systems specially if our experience differs in a negative/positive way from the consensus. IMO we could all benefit from this.

Anybody interested? No rush, better to take time and set this thing up right.

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Count me in :D Sounds like an excellent learning opportunity :)

All the best - Andrew

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Khorn, excellent idea. Could you give examples of recordings that you might want to see in this "test"? Which ones have you seen debated most heavily? I think Steely Dan Aja is a good candidate. The only problem there is that there are a few different versions that people have cited as being best. When you start comparing more than two discs, it can get a bit hairy.

4. Khorn

There is no question it would have to be the identical CD issues. I was thinking of the MCA gold Steely Dan 'Deacade' but maybe there are others that are more widely available. It might take a bit of time to find a couple of discs that most of us have, and that would be suitable subjects due to contentious reviews but, given a bit of time I'm sure we will.

5. Khorn

One point I would like to bring up right away. This has absolutely nothing to do with the "cost" of your system. You can have a poor or great sounding $1500 system as well as a poor or great sounding $15000 system. It's how the system is "matched" that counts also, the space that it is "loaded" into is a prime contributing factor to the ultimate sound. The again some of us might have "cloth ears" and nothin' will help :D So don't be put off joining in if you feel your system is modest, everyone can benefit from this.

6. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I concur.

I might suggest the SACD issue of Willie Nelson's "Stardust" as a candidate for this event, as there have been differing opinions on the sound of this disc.

Chris

7. Khorn

Although I agree with you about the choice of the Willie SACD, we don't want to exclude those who are not into Hi-Rez as of yet. The main subjects should be CDs as I would think everyone has that playback capability.

I do believe that we can also discuss SACDs in the same manner maybe after the first session is done with. I would be anxious to do so as with something like the Nelson SACD I am perplexed with some of the reports and want to know exactly what others are hearing/not hearing.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

For this to work, it has to be a CD that everyone has (like Sgt. Pepper) and everyone has to write about what they hear without reading and being influenced by everyone else's results.

Kind of tricky.

9. Khorn

Tricky yes, but worthwhile. Nobody says it's gonna be easy but, those who try and 'play by the rules' so to speak have much to gain as well as participating in an enjoyable experiment.

10. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Khorn & Friends,

I'm game!

Bob:)

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Deal me in! I'm also curious as to the results!

12. Steve Hoffman

So, everyone writes something about the sonic qualities of certain songs and then holds off posting until so and so a date at exactly 5 PM East Coast time or something like that. Yes?

Sounds interesting.

13. Khorn

I guess the next step is to compile a selection of CD titles that have been contentious. These have to be very popular titles that have had widely varying opinions as to the sound quality. I think we should give this a few days so people who have not had the chance to see this thread can "get on board" if they want to.

We sould then select either a couple of titles or cuts from the same and describe in sonic terms (to the best of our abilities) what we hear, like and/or dislike about them and see if any pattern develops.

I do hope this gets off the ground as it would be great fun as well as informative and, the ground rules shouldn't be too hard to establish.

14. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Good idea Khorn! You could start a thread to take title suggestions for a week or so and then make a poll to get the global agreement on which title. Then the same could be done by poll for the tune selection.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I would very much like to know how so many of you experience ear-splitting brightness, while I *usually* don't.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I agree that the trick is to come up with discs that many of us have. While there has been a lot of debate about Aja, some of those discs are relatively uncommon. A Decade of Steely Dan would be interesting, though I don't have the gold version (just the original and standard remaster).

17. Steve Hoffman

Hmmm. It's pretty pointless to use a Steely Dan CD. That should be saved for later, after the results are in.

Just pick something that you all have, and describe it, sonically. Then, compare notes and see how you agree.

18. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

How about Taxman from Revolver as the base-line ? :)

All the best - Andrew

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

aashton is on the right track with the Beatles here/hear; there apparently aren't sonic differences from country to country with the Beatles catalog, the Fabs garner a lot of interest from the bulk of the posters judging by Beatle threads - pick some of the non remixed things and go from there...

20. Khorn

For the first disc may I suggest: Beatles 'Abbey Road'

The copy I have is as follows: On The Label:

CDP 7 46446 2

DIDX 2249 Stereo

UK: CD-PCS 7088

Manufactured By
    Capitol Records INC

MADE IN USA

(P) 1969 ORIGINAL SOUND
    RECORDINGS MADE BY
    EMI RECORDS LTD

DIGITALLY RE-MASTERED
    (P) 1987 BY EMI RECORDS LTD

(C) 1969 EMI RECORDS LTD

This info appears directly under the last cut title # 17 on the lower right center portion of the label.

Do most of you have this version? If so we can use this as disc #1 and pick the cuts to audition in the near future.

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There ya go! Count me in. Maybe someone could start a poll for which recording to use. I like Steve's idea of nobody post until a certain time so we don't influence each other.

Didn't we do something kinda like this with Dark Side of the Moon in various UDI vs. UDII vs. SACD madness? ;)

22. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

This is a great idea; count me in too. I noticed that Steve did something like this not too long ago with a forum member named Joe by asking him for notes on various tracks on "Past Masters." Steve described it as getting the listening notes "in sync."

Anything that can make audio anarchy a little less anarchic is great by me.

23. Steve Hoffman

Let me start you off with two simple tests; "smoothness" and "midrange correctness".

On Beatles Past Masters Volume 1 CD listen to "I Feel Fine", before the vocal comes in. It should sound smooth, with no peaky top end and a bit of a recessed midrange. The bass should sound quite tubby with no real deep bass (typical) and a bass peak around 150 cycles. The McCartney/Vox/Hofner bass sound. When John's vocal comes in it should have a bit of top end grit (added by the Neumann mic). Are you hearing this with me, troops?

Another song I like to use to see if I'm in sync with someone else is the ECHO on the drums during the intro of "Fortunate Son" from the DCC Gold Disc of Creedence's Willy. You should be able to hear each echo send disperse all the way back after each snare thwack. If not, your midrange reproduction is in trouble. Also, the song should sound warm and not bright at all. If you hear brightness during the opening, your system is not doing something it should and doing something it shouldn't!

That's a start.

24. Angel

Angel New Member

I am almost afraid to find out.

25. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Heh - those drums make my speakers sing - they sound like the percussive blasts of a cannon (which I guess was Mr. Fogerty's intention) - yahoo, I can play!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.