Disputing a Paypal transaction via your Credit Card company

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by eddiel, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone disputed a Paypal transaction via their credit card company instead of directly with Paypal?

I've got a situation and I'm not sure how to deal with it and I'm thinking my CC might be my only recourse.

I bought a record from a seller in Europe. When I received it I noticed it had some sort pressing defect, like non-fill, and as a result the record skipped. I returned the record and I paid for return postage with tracking but some was reimbursed by paypal ($30 of the $63 cost). The seller had been quite difficult from the start and when he received it he wrote me to say he had it, played it and it doesn't skip so he's refusing to refund me and has said that he'll let paypal decide. I recorded a video of the record skipping and also have photographs of the damage.

Now, normally I wouldn't have a problem. Unfortunately between Canada Post and Deutsche Post the online tracking has had not updated since Jan 25th. Both sites show the item still being held a the post office for pick up. However, I know that is not true since the seller told me he has it.

Paypal has said that the case will stay open for 21 more days. At that point if there's no update showing it was delivered they will rule in his favour. They did say that I have a right to appeal and if the tracking updates after they close it then they will relook at the case. They also said that they won't accept the message from the seller confirming receipt as evidence he has it. They will only accept the online tracking confirmation or communication from Canada Post.

In the mean time I have put in a claim with Canada Post for them to look into it and they said that they should get back to me by next Friday but it could take up to the end of April.

At this point there is a good chance that I will lose out on most of the return shipping plus the actual record all because Canada Post and Deutsche Post don't seem to be able to communicate between each other.

I wouldn't be surprised if the seller is somehow gaming the system because he's an experienced seller and would know that if the item shows as being delivered then Paypal will rule in my favour. My guess is that he didn't sign for it or something like that and hence knows they have no record of him receiving it.

I'm thinking my back up plan is to dispute the transaction via my credit card company. My credit card company will more likely take the emails we've exchanged as proof I returned, and he received, the item.

But I recall reading comments in the past on the net that Paypal doesn't like it when people do that and it can leave a black mark on your account. I really don't care if it does as I don't intend on doing it often, but I'd like to know either way.

I'm hoping that Canada Post will pull through and will get me the information I need so Paypal will close the case in my favour but at this point it seems like a long shot. I don't have much faith in them even under normal circumstances.

2. eddiel

Just checked and realised I paid for this item out of my paypal balance. I usually withdraw money from my account (I like to pay via CC for the points) but in this case I didn't bother and just used the funds I had in there. Another lesson learnt!

Anyway, I'd still like to know if anyone has used their CC to dispute a transaction. But for me I think I'm SOL. Paypal just updated the case details and I think I know only have until Feb 19th before they close the case due to inactivity. I'm going to call them again today and ask to speak to someone else and see if they'll accept the outside communication with the seller as proof.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I seriously doubt the seller is gaming the system. If he were, he would NEVER have acknowledged in his email that he had the record.

4. eddiel

Can't say for sure of course. There's just a few things I find odd that had me speculating.

But him admitting he has it makes no difference to Paypal. I asked them and they said they can't accept that communication as proof he received it. They'll only accept the tracking information confirmation as proof. So he can pretty say whatever he wants in that regard and it won't matter to Paypal.

Anyway, unless I can get confirmation of delivery I can't do much as he's flat out said he isn't going to refund me. So unless Paypal forces this issue, I'm not getting my money and they won't force the issue without that confirmation. Email or no email from seller saying he has it.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Unbelievable.

eddiel likes this.
  6. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

More than a black mark. They can close your Paypal account for chargebacks. If you have a claim rejected by Paypal, you should not get the CC company involved unless you're prepared to live without a Paypal account. It may not happen, but the risk is always there, so you would do well to treat chargebacks as a "nuclear option" that probably aren't worth pursuing unless the amount of money involved is significant.

7. petdevaney

petdevaney Forum Resident

I had an very similar issue that I could not resolve via e-mails. I called Paypal up directly. I explained the situation to an actual human being and within 24 to 48 hours they ruled in my favor.

Once you sign into Paypal go to the bottom of the page and click on: HELP AND CONTACT

Go to the bottom of that page and click on : CALL US

Their phone number will come up with a "One Time Passcode", (really just a reference number to discourage people from calling all the time), to call them up directly.

If I am not mistaken they did ask me to send the e-mail correspondence to confirm that the item was sent back and that the seller did receive it.

Good luck. Keep us posted how it went.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.