Distinguishing Hi-Res audio from redbook on I-Tunes/etc.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cgoodwin22, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member Thread Starter

Just curious how you folks here distinguish your Hi Resolution files (whether it be Pono or HD-Tracks, etc.) from normal CD's in I-Tunes, JRiver, or whatever software you use? Attached jpg is my normal route but i'm thinking about creating a "Genre" and labeling it "High Resolution".

[​IMG]

thermal123 likes this.
  2. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Or you could just add the bit rate column in iTunes, and sort that way.

Vidiot, Robert C and cgoodwin22 like this.
  3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

And in JRiver you can display Bit Depth And Sample Rate columns which can also be displayed on the JRemote app. The nice thing about Jriver and other softwares like Audirvana or Pure Music that can work integrated with iTunes is the auto switching of the bit depth and sample rates which iTunes does not do.

4. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

I do the same as you, identifying high resolution albums in the album title field as well as the genre for search and sorting. I also specify things like "Vinyl to 24/96" or "SACD to 24/88", etc... In my genre field, I also will add "Hi-Res / Jazz", "Hi-Res / Rock"...

In this way I also identify multichannel FLACs. eg. "My Album Title (Hi-Res SACD to 5.1 24/88, FLAC)". And so forth.

Tagging and getting the metadata consistent with something that works for my collection has always been the most time consuming piece to this computer audio server venture!

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I add a note in the title of the album.
    For example "Junta [HDTracks] [24/96]"

I use JRiver Media Center primarily. I make use of the KEYWORDS tag to add additional info. Add a keyword for "HDTracks" "Qobuz" etc. And a keyword for the sample rate. It's easy to search on keywords. A keyword search on "HDTracks" will find all of my HDTracks albums. A keyword search on "24/96000" will find all of my 24/96 albums.

There are also more ways to do this. But that's what I've standardized on for my use. JRiver Media Center has an expression language that you can use in searches and for grouping. It's possible to use expressions to find all of my high-res files. But that gets complicated. So I've just standardize on using special keywords to identify a few key things. It's easy to search on keywords. It's more difficult to remember complex expressions.

6. AJH

AJH Senior Member

In iTunes, I just add a comment after the album name- i.e.- Bookends (192/24 HR Audio).

7. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

... and then, you can search on any of the fields or make a view (as I did) called "Hi-Res" that displays only tracks with the bit depth >= 24. Simple!

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

There's going to be at least a dozen different ways to do this in JRiver. Pick a way that makes sense for you.

However, creating some sort of naming convention in the title of the album is going to be the most universal. Having the bit-rate and sample rate in the title of the album will make it sortable and groupable in iTunes, JRiver, Foobar, on partables like PonoPlayer, Astell&Kern, Fiio, etc. So I add something to the title of the album even if I have other methods to fall back on.

Pick a naming convention for the title that works for you
    Sea Change (24/96)
    Sea Change [24/96]
    Sea Change [HDTracks] [24/96]
    Sea Change (HDTracks) (24/96)
    Sea Change (96/24)
    Or some other variation

9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

This is exactly how I do it. Short and simple. If it's multi-channel, I will add that too (e.g. Sea Change (MCh 24/88,2))

10. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Well, just to throw this out there for those who are new to this: My suggestion (using tags already existing in JRiver) is along the lines of not duplicating information that's already in the database. That makes less work and fewer problems in the long run, IMO. However, if you're using a variety of database (music-library) software, and some of it can't handle those tags easily (like the badly crippled iTunes), I agree, it makes a lot of sense to add the info to the title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.