Distorsion on 7 months old Denon DL-110 cartridge.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kiko1974, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I got it a while ago from Comet, and they don't have replacements. Probably too long ago for a return.

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

It depends on their policy. From what others are saying on this thread there may be a flaw with some samples of this cartridge.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  3. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you Thorensman, I think mine is defective. The cart hasn't been misused or abused, right the opposite I've been very gentle with it.
    In the case I get a refund or Denon UK doesn't retips my DL-110 or gives me a new one I'll get a Sumiko Pearl. I've heard good things about it and stylus is easy and fast to replace.

4. Thorensman

I hope you get your refund.
    Its fantastic when your cartridge is
    Running as it should.
    Lately many complain about Ortofon 2m red and blue. Others swear by them.
    Sample variations, at this price level
    You have a right to hassle free running.
    I run a Benz Glyder L on my 401.
    Its reliable as i speak.
    Tomorrow they could start turning out some duds.
    However, as I love the sound it produces i. Have it retipped. At £275
    Its good value and with a Paratrace stone its rather good.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  5. Kiko1974

Thank you Thorensman, I too hope I get a refund but I think I will most likely get a new or retipped DL-110. Thinking that my old Denon DL-160 sounded excellent and was 100% relliable till the end of its life I got the DL-110 as its substitute after reading reviews that it was almost identical to the DL-160. Mine wasn't, to start, it never tracked as well as the DL-160, it was never as inmune to clicks and pops as the DL-160 was, and while static was not an issue with my old DL-160 it was definetely an issue with the new DL-110. When it began with its distorsion issues it also become less inmune to static up to the point that records that were dead silent before sounded plagued with static. Is the increase on static noise related to a possible damage of stylus?

6. Thorensman

I think so. The way i see it. For 3 maybe 4 years the cartridge runs smoothly, then you start finding fault , little things, those clicks and pops you mention. A less than smooth presentation on vocals, which for me
    Is the first signs of wear!
    I run a Shure V15 Mk3 on my Thorens
    TD150. Even using £28 Thakker
    Stylus the sound is excellent. So i think your Denon is a poor, from new sample.
    I ran 3 Denon DL304,s so I must have liked it to buy 3 in succession
    They were faultless. Superb trackers.
    Maybe I will try anothet Denon!

Kiko1974 likes this.
  7. Kiko1974

I bought the Denon DL-110 because the Denon DL-160 worked great for me for 9 years. It loved its sound and never had an issue with it, that's why I bought the DL-110. It may be a random bad unit or it can be that Denon QC went downhill on their lower range. On de box of my old DL-160 there was no mention of "Denon-Marantz Holdings", on the box of the new DL-110 there is. Maybe my old DL-160 was made before the merge of the two companies and QC was better.
    In the unlikely case that I get my money back I'm not taking a chance and I'll get a Sumiko Pearl instead of a Denon cart.

8. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

I realize this thread is ancient but I have come across this twice (over in the Audio - Technica thread you bring it up) - a cartridge which you say Denon recognized as "defective" ("early death" I believe it was)
    What was the defect and was it a one off or was there a problem with a batch of DL-110s?
    Thanks
    Michael

Kiko1974 likes this.
  9. Kiko1974

I don't know if there was a batch or just my Denon cart. I was offered a new one or a refund and I didn't want to take a chance with another Denon DL-110 so I took the money and got an Audio Technica VM540ML and I'm happy I did. The Audio Technica VM540ML is a better cart than the Denon DL-110, I think is more transparent and faithfull at retrieving what's on the record's grooves.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

Thank you very much for the response, but that was not my question
    What I am asking and what I would like to know is what was the defect (if you know)
    NOT the symptoms, but what exactly was the defect and who made the determination? DENON proper or a dealer?
    Thanks again
    Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.