Distortion on Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy Vinyl Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grbl, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

On my vinyl copy of the new remaster of Houses of the Holy there's really bad distortion in the left channel of The Ocean. The rest of the album sounds great, but the distortion on The Ocean is really pronounced. It is not on the cd. Are others finding this problem as well or do your copies sound fine?

cement_head likes this.
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

3. grbl

I'm well aware of that thread as well as the other threads about the Led Zeppeling re-ssues. I started this thread because I wanted to discuss this particular issue, the distortion on the Houses of the Holy vinyl rather that having it subsumed and lost amid all the other points of discussion related to the LZ reissues.

4. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I don't have the reissue -- Given that this recording is not what I'd call super hi-fi, I would wonder how the new LP stands next to the Bob Ludwig cut, which is generally preferred.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  5. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I have the reissue and there is no distortion.

6. grbl

Can I ask where you got yours from?

7. Scott222C

I have three, two original US RL cuts and a 1st UK press, but the reissues holds its own - surprisingly for me, because I usually loathe reissues and absolutley prefer originals - Hated the Cisco "Aja" , the Rhino "Fragile", etc etc

8. Scott222C

I am in Europe, so I got mine pre ordered from amazon.de

9. grbl

Thanks. I'm in the U.S. and got mine from Amazon here. It seems like the problem may be with the U.S. pressings only.

Anyone have a U.S. pressing that doesn't have the problem? Anyone else with a European pressing who can report on whether their's has the problem?

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Whats the weight of these lps?

11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Please, why not state the pressing details when opening a thread like this (also in the subject line)?
    EU Optimal
    US/CAN: Pallas (P.USA)????
    As has been written already the EU Optimal does not have the issues reported here.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  12. grbl

Don't have it with me right now, but I know I got it from Amazon U.S., so I assume it's the version pressed by Pallas in the U.S. I'll check tonight and post it.
    Are you sure that the E.U. Optimal doesn't have the issue? I've heard from one person on this thread who has the E.U. version and doesn't have the problem. Have others reported the same thing?

I also don't know whether the problem is pervasive on the U.S. Only two or three of us have reported a problem in the threads I've read.

Do you have an E.U. version? Does The Ocean sound fine on it?

13. bibijeebies

Yes, I have the EU Optimal and it sounds fine, in addition I also think that John Davies @ Metropolis mastering did a wonderful job, even though this LP is cut from high resolution digital.

14. grbl

Thanks. Yes, I agree. Other than the egregious distortion on The Ocean, the vinyl sounds excellent.

15. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I have the Optimal, no distortion.

16. bibijeebies

to me they never played better as a group in the studio than on this LP...

17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't know if the Ludwig cut for HOTH is generally preferred. I think there are many who would disagree.

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I was listening to the 90's Marino remastered CD of HOTH and it sounded great on my system, until The Ocean started and then it seemed like there was weird distortion or little clipping that was going on. It's like the quality was consistent all the way through the album, until The Ocean started and then I noticed the difference. Now, I have yet to hear the new version, but I just thought I'd mention it. I know some are saying it's not present on the new CD version, but perhaps they fixed it? I know there was something funky going on with the 90's CD I heard last night. I know this is a vinyl thread but I just thought I'd mention what I heard on the CD I played. Perhaps this was an issue on the tapes that were used? I guess not if other people are claiming they are not hearing it.

Cloudbuster and JeffR714 like this.
  19. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

OK -- "Well received", then...

20. grbl

I'll have to go back and listen to my Marino and Diament cd's, but I never noticed any significant distortion on those cd's, so it must be fairly subtle. There's definitely nothing on the new cd. The distortion on the vinyl is not subtle at all. It's very, very noticeable and makes the song pretty unlistenable.

21. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

This is not encouraging news, and I hope it isnt another case like wr went through with the Beatles 2012 stereo vinyl.

I was looking forward to the opportunity to get a quality pressing of this album for a reasonable price. there are too many other items on my wish list to sweat over that nonesense again.

Ben Adams and JeffR714 like this.
  22. bibijeebies

in this case all LP's are pressed at either Optimal Germany (EU) or Pallas Diepholz Germany (US/CAN) so this is not a Rainbo disaster

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Cool, I just thought I'd put it out there. In fact, I never noticed it really before, but with all this talk of the recent reissues, I guess I was more open to it. The fact that it's not on the new CD supports that it may have been just an unfortunate pressing issue. I wonder if they will repress or acknowledge it?

24. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

The EU pressing does not have the problem. I just listened to mine and other members here have also verified this. So, get the Optimal and you are good to go!

25. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I love to crank The Ocean and the clipping is something I've noticed on the '90s era Page/Marino CDs for a long time now, but I've never A/B'd with other versions since I sold my Diament CD when the original remasters came out and I'm still waiting on my Super Deluxe set.

4stringking73 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.