Distortion on Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy Vinyl Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grbl, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

I noticed it while listening to my buddies US copy of the reissue. Left channel and horrid.
    Rega P3-24 and DV20x2, setup correctly.

2. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

3. DanJA

DanJA Forum Resident

I just played it this AM and thought my needle had picked up some debris, same problem, Left channel distorted only on that song, the rest sounds great.
    I have the US vinyl.

4. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

I noticed this last night as well. I was listening to side two for the first time and was shocked to hear how awful The Ocean sounded (I almost turned it off) ...can't tell you what pressing I have right now, but will check later.

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Is "The Ocean" the only problem thus far with the LP's thus far? I have not noticed any issues with the first 3 and I will be getting the NA editions of IV and HOTH soon.
    Thanks

6. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I haven't heard the new vinyl issue of Houses of the Holy, as I've only got the CD, but I would nevertheless like to say that I can hear some extra distortion on The Ocean (guitar on the left channel), but that's nothing new to me - it's there on every other version I have ever heard. I suspect that it's there on the master tapes and the better overall clarity of this particular issue of HotH makes this unfortunate recording anomaly literally jump out of the mix and thus more clearly noticeable.

johnny q likes this.
  7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

It's nice to know someone else hears it on that version, I thought I may have had a bad version of it.

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am glad you brought this up because it was the first thing I thought about. I recall vividly when the box set came out in 1990, people noticed the distortion on that track, particularly when the guitar solo starts. I listened to the reissue vinyl the other night and aside from what seemed like a little sibilance on Plants vox during TSRTS, I didn't notice anything unusual. I will listen again tonight over headphones and report back.

JQ

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  9. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Cool, thanks for giving me your feedback. I was thinking I was crazy, but I'm happy to know that others noticed it on that track, on something released that far back. Even if you don't want to call it "distortion" it was clear as day that once I reached that track last night, something was wrong. The quality dropped and it was obvious. I just got new speakers so I'm really listening to everything and noticing stuff that kind of passed me by before. I love this album, and can't wait to get the new reissues.

11. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

I have an original UK and there's no distortion.

Interesting.

(Kidding, I actually don't have an original. I'm not that guy)

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Listening to The Ocean now of my Amazon US Super deluxe, I'll report in a bit

13. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

I've decided to return the copy I purchased (single lp version) to Amazon. I suppose I'll try to find a normal copy elsewhere.

14. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Any distortion on the tapes is definitely goosed up on this remaster. For example, the fuzzy synthesizer bass at the end of "No Quarter". This issue with "The Ocean", however, is pure distortion of the entire channel and it is extremely evident in particular on the guitar and vocals. Plus it's not there on any other vinyl versions :)

Ben Adams likes this.
  15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Are you using a micro line stylus tip? I had the same problem with the Beatles reissue of SPLHCB on numerous copies. I swapped out to a head-shell sporting a cartridge fitted with an elliptical stylus and the problem was solved. It might be worth checking it out.

16. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

No problem on mine!

Coricama likes this.
  17. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

Can you see which pressing plant it's from?

18. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Thats OK, send all the junk copies to the US. They will never know the difference.;)

Turntable likes this.
  19. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

What this thread needs are some waveforms!

Simon A, quicksrt, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  20. JeffR714

JeffR714 Well-Known Member

Thank God I thought I was the only on it's on IV as well I thought it was the new cartridge. On IV I hear it on the vinyl the CD and 96/24

21. JeffR714

22. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

Kudos for starting this thread.
    I'm in Seattle and my version of HOTH is underwhelming compared to the first 3..."the ocean" does indeed sound like a "bucket of warm hamster vomit"- very disappointed, but my Zep turntable mat is the t*ts!

23. JeffR714

I haven't even opened that box yet but there definitely distortion problems with IV I just sent two emails will see what happens you guys may have better experience with emails but I started.

24. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

As am I. Amazon sent notice that the SD of IV had shipped and should arrive tomorrow, HotHoly is listed as still "Processing" with an estimated shipment date next week.

25. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I have two copies (1LP version) of the Pallas variant, and they both have that horrible distortion during "The Ocean". I also have one copy of the EU version (Optimal?) and it doesnt have that distortion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.