Distortion on Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy Vinyl Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grbl, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Yuck, that's over and above the clipping that I was used to from the Marino remaster. Most disappointing.

2. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

I have this on a UK store bought Deluxe vinyl...would wake up the wife if i went next door to check for pressing info so I will look in the morning.

I looked up from my book yesterday (Joe Perrys new one) as soon as this section started. Gutted as the rest of the album sounded so good..

3. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

There's a small amount that's been there, but the distortion on the new U.S. vinyl is horrible.

ti-triodes likes this.
  4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Dude - this is not the time to get high and mighty about your stylus vs. mine. I originally said I didn't hear any issue....now I hear it albeit not as bad as that needle drop.....but I hear it.

:chill::chill::chill::chill:

PS: Maybe you aren't using a Vintage Stanton 680 body...infinity, infinity, infinity.

Ray29 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  5. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

I was under the impression Houses wasn't being released in the US for another month.(postponed)

I have a super deluxe box coming.

IV literally just showed up about 30 minutes ago....yay!

I was thinking the month delay might have been to fix an error for HOTH

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Thanks for starting this thread to solicit additional feedback. I was starting to feel like I was the only one who had the issue until you chimed in.

Everything on my TT is properly set up, and no we're not talking about the expected clipping that everyone's used to. This sucks :(

Hopefully Pallas gets back to one of us, because other than "The Ocean", the sound of the album overall is very nice and the vinyl is excellent.

johnny q likes this.
  7. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Pallas

Tom H likes this.
  8. dazzlingmd

dazzlingmd Forum Resident

I got my HOTH and IV today and had issues on both. Distortion on HOTH was really bad on the Ocean and also the Crunge. On IV there was a little towards the end of Stairway, but not too bad, and a lot on When the Levee Breaks.

I'm going to return these for a refund and I just ordered both from Amazon UK hoping that they will be better quality. But I have to wait a couple of weeks before they arrive!

Definitely not happy with the quality of the pressings, but that criticism is limited to the distortion issue. The non-distorted portions of HOTH sounded great. Most of IV sounded very good, although not quite as good as HOTH to my ears. I hope the EU pressings don't have the same distortion issues.

9. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Thanks to this thread I made sure I picked up the EU copies of HOTH and LZIV.

HOTH sounds great and I got a slip mat too!

Simon A likes this.
  10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Played mine from the box this is no problem on the Ocean

Simon A likes this.
  11. superstar19

Where are you located? Do you know which pressing you have?

ParloFax likes this.
  12. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

That is terrible sounding! I am sorry for you guys that have the US Pallas pressing. My EU Optimal plays fine. :(

I hope you get corrected replacements soon! :)

Simon A likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am waiting to see where this all goes.

14. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

BTW I've got a US "The Complete Studio Recordings"(Warner 782 526-2,EAN:07567-82526-2 4) CD box,and I am happy there there is not a single problem whatsoever anywhere on this box!

The item is just perfect!

15. Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but....

Purchased a copy of HOTH (single vinyl issue) from local Sonic Boom here in Toronto. Haven't opened it yet. Is there any way I can tell where it was manufactured (Pallas or Optimal) WITHOUT breaking the seal on it?

I'm naturally assuming that it's coming from the US pressing plant, but one never knows in this business. If it's a Pallas pressing (which I suspect it IS), then I'm going to just file it as STILL SEALED and try to land an Optimal pressing.

Thanks,

16. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

We should all respectfully contact Pallas AND the record company. Strength in numbers.

17. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

18. superstar19

A bit off topic, but I was soooo disappointed with that box when it came out because I was expecting mini-replica LP sleeves since it was promoted as having the original album artwork. It did have the artwork, but basically as pictures in the CD holder books.

19. superstar19

What about Dr. Rhino? I don't have the HOTH set yet nor have I ever dealt with "him" but I seem to remember forum members here using that contact with issues on the 1st set of deluxe editions.

20. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Rhino is owned by Warner Records. Warner is responsible for this release.

21. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I have the 2-LP version of HOTH on order, it still hasn't shipped. When I called they said it was on back order for 3-4 weeks. Maybe they are aware and fixing the issue, or just wishful thinking on my part?

22. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I was notified this morning by Amazon that my Super Deluxe HotH has now shipped. I doubt the delay in shipment will have anything to do with the vinyl content, but we shall see. I'm not looking forward to jumping through whatever hoops will be required to get just the vinyl replaced in this set, should that be necessary.

23. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Man this sucks. I was primed to pick up both of these SD sets at a local shop tomorrow for about $100 per during a sale. Sounds like I should wait, at least on HOTH, until things suss out. I had to return the debut for terrible bubbling on the front face of the cloth-like covering and the replacement spine split a bit upon first opening it, with care and caution I might add.:realmad: The fun never ends......

Thanks for bringing up this anomaly.:thumbsup:

24. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

I too have the distortion. Super deluxe Box, P-USA from Amazon US.

Also noticed it at the end of The Crunge.

25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Got it from Amazon I'm in Georgia. The record was pressed in Germany, I got the box set. I played it in my office so the cartridge is a Shure, have not played it on the main systems yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.