Disturbing British puppet show (Spitting Image)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Osato, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osato

Osato Forum Resident Thread Starter

What the hell is this and how was it allowed to air? Creepy as all get out....

2. Osato

3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Hugely popular show in Britain from the mid-1980s through the early 1990s. It ran for longer than that, but those were its glory years.

We have a long tradition of political and social satire, and this show was very much in that vein, albeit with a puppetry twist. It was what they used to call in the United States a water cooler show, and, believe it or not, it was actually popular with some of the politicians it parodied.

John54, englishbob and Osato like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I fondly remember this in the 80's...it is so creepy! yes, bu I enjoyed it.

5. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

A lot of the puppets were famously used in the video for Land of Confusion by Genesis...

6. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

They did an Election Special in 1987 which was absolutely superb. As I recall, it was longer than most episodes.

7. stepeanut

We can’t have a Spitting Image thread without “The Chicken Song”:

BLUESJAZZMAN and EwaWoowa like this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

There was an Australian version called 'Rubbery Figures'

Johnny66 and Siegmund like this.
  9. Learned about this show recently from watching The Royle Family sitcom.
    I checked it out on YouTube and got scared.

Osato likes this.
  10. Osato

Yeah, it popped up for me on YouTube, and perhaps it's just the cultural differences, but I found it incredibly unsettling and bizarre.

Thanks to those who were able to explain it, though.

11. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Watched it religiously back in the 80's.

12. Thing is, when I saw what it was I kind of figured they had some connection with the Genesis video...which also creeped me out as a kid.
    By watching British sitcoms I am learning the different kinds of humor they enjoy.

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I don't see what's creepy about it. It was ground-breaking for the time, at least in establishing the benchmark of contempt for public figures.

Not all of it worked, of course, and I think it jumped the shark round about 1986 (I remember the Heseltine resignation episode being a disappointment).

I think it's important that politicians and celebrities should be held up to ridicule: it helps stop them getting above themselves.

14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

This was a running gag:

englishbob likes this.
  15. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

It seems to me this was shown in the US on some cable channel. I know there were a few "specials" that aired here.

Damien DiAngelo and longdist01 like this.
  16. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

A great satirical comedy show, from a time when we still made great comedy. Sadly the likes of this and brass Eye, The Day Today etc would appear not to be coming back anytime soon.

Dayfold and stepeanut like this.
  17. Django

Django Forum Resident

I remember watching it in the mid 80s but I was too young to get the political jokes.

18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Here's a brutal but very spot on (well, the Mickey Dolenz vocal impersonation is spot on at least imo) Monkess parody lampooning their late 80s comeback.

Vidiot and englishbob like this.
  19. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I'm also very fond of this Moody Blues* cover sung at a departing Margaret Thatcher as her party turns on her. Actually kind of poignant. (and without getting too political, I'm no fan of Thatcher.. but just the way they re -purpose this song into being about the changing of the guard in British politics is kind of moving in a weird way to me).

I like how some of the shots directly influence the original Moodies promo film too.

* I know it was originally by Bessie Banks!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Siegmund likes this.
  20. stepeanut

It’s all panel shows these days. I weary of seeing the same circle jerk of comedians on every one.

Rufus McDufus, Halfwit and ajsmith like this.
  21. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Our country needs this programme back, and has needed it for the last 20+ years. We are all dead between the ears.

22. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I still remember the pilot for the USA version; thought it was brilliant and even kind of mind-blowing considering the typical 1980s TV fare. I was disappointed to not get more.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I cracked up when he turned into Diana Ross! It's funny.

24. Django

Django Forum Resident

A bit of historical perspective

25. davidarob

davidarob Forum Resident

I remember my semester abroad in England, '92 - my host father was in the pub with me and my other roommate when he suddenly made it clear we had to finish up pronto to get back home in time to watch the Spitting Image special...it might have been tied to the election that year, can't completely recall, but it was wickedly funny. (and luckily The Nascot Arms was feet away from his front door so naturally we had another pint before rushing home...)

stepeanut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.