Disturbing Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jayski, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

but he had a good time.

2. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

White God. A strange mixed genre movie where one of the main characters is a dog and the movie details the cruelty inflicted on him. I almost had to turn it off in a couple of places. Excellent movie though.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

That's hard to imagine.

Paul Saldana likes this.
  4. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident

Not really disturbing, but The Magic Box (1951) is one of the most depressing things I've ever seen, in no small part because it has the superficial structure of a feel-good biopic (in Technicolor to boot). But instead of triumphing over adversity, William Greene abandons a profitable career as a still photographer for experimentation with motion pictures.
    His efforts to make movies into a profitable enterprise fail, and fail, and then fail again. And then he dies.

5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

With Michael Moore as screenwriter!

6. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Total anguish and misanthropic

guy incognito and Jimbo62 like this.
  7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes well the movie called "THE DENTIST" is a disgusting AND disturbing!!!!

They made a 2 part too I thnk..... COMPLETE UTTER GARBAGE!!

8. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I found The Strangers (2008) very disturbing. I'm a big fan of horror, give me a gore-filled monster movie any day and night, but the realism of the terror and pain Liv Tyler goes through at the very end was unwatchable.

BLUESJAZZMAN and Kubricker like this.
  9. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

It has been referred to here already but Natural Born Killers deserves to be front and center alongside some of these other classics. I saw it in a second-run theater in San Francisco (the Balboa, if memory serves), and there were only a few people in the audience. After it was over I stepped into the men's room and went over to TCOB. One other guy was in there, then a third guy came in and immediately started pummeling the other guy, who was about half his size. The first guy escaped, the tough guy eyeballed me (I was much bigger than he) as I walked out, but he didn't seem as interested as before. A truly WTF moment for me. So NBK is pretty much at the top of my list, because it is a vile piece of crap with no redeeming qualities and visuals will give you a migraine.

Another one that's been making the rounds on premium channels is Raze (2014) featuring Zoe Bell and some of the other women from Tarantino's Death Proof. I thought I'd give it a go; I thought it would be campy, like the Grindhouse flicks. No, no, no. No humor in this one at all. Five minutes in Zoe beats Rachel Nicholls' character to death with her fists. Very gory; rattled my cage. A lot of hand-to-hand death matches between women, with matches ending in all sorts of unsubtle methods. Might be your cuppa, no thanks.

VU Master likes this.
  10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It doesn't disturb me anymore, but I remember seeing Hellbound: Hellraiser II while I was in college and being pretty shocked at what I was seeing on-screen. It was probably the goriest, most gruesome film I had ever seen at that time. Its impact has deteriorated a little bit for me over the years -- it's practically a kids' movie compared to some of the stuff I've seen since then -- but I'll never forget that first viewing and nearly having to pick my jaw up off the floor! ;)

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I agree that "II" was pretty good for it's time.
    When the woman's face appears out of the blood of the bed....
    plus the 'cynobites-origins'; I was always surprise no one went to expanding the stories THOSE four guys, in their glut of sequels.

Tree of Life and Holy Diver like this.
  12. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Irreversible

13. Michael

I felt the same way when I watched SAW..I really get disturbed when I see self mutilation in a movie...I don't like the whole series for that reason.

14. Michael

best part of the movie was showing us the rat bastid media and how far they will manipulate...enjoyed the movie much...big fan of Woody, Downey and Juliette!

15. http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/reflecting-skin-zavvi-exclusive-limited-edition-steelbook/11162401.html

16. moops

moops Senior Member

Just re-released ......

http://www.mondo-digital.com/reflectingskin.html

[​IMG]

Claus LH and Holy Diver like this.
  17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I liked this movie as well. It made you think about how we treat our pets. As one might expect, a foreign film. In America, whenever Hollywood produces a "dog" movie, it is some cutsy fantasy tale about the pet as super hero, etc.

Scotian likes this.
  18. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

The moment I saw this thread, my brain suddenly thought "Blue Velvet".

19. Remurmur

20. moops

moops Senior Member

Sorry about that !

21. Remurmur

No worries ! Omega Man is one of my favorite movies ...:)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    moops likes this.
  22. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

High Tension

23. JL7

JL7 Forum Resident

Possession by Andrzej Zulawski. Scarring in every sense of the word.
    [​IMG]

24. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

The most disturbing thing I've ever viewed.

gramfan likes this.
  25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I found Room extremely emotional & disturbing. It helped though that I had no idea of the premise going in (my wife wanted to see it). I'm sure that made a difference.